Release Low Step 2CK Score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coffeemaldon

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a long time lurker but first time poster and EMED applicant. I am a nontraditional AMG from a top 20 school. I passed all my classes, scored 229 on step 1, have 2 good SLOE, and great interviews at only 5 prestigious places. I just got my Step 2 CK score of 215. I was scoring much higher on UWORLD but I got pressed for time on every section of Step 2CK. Do I need to release my score to the programs for them to rank me highly? Will it matter? I was nervous enough about matching with only 5 interviews.

Members don't see this ad.

So I'm a long time lurker but first time poster and EMED applicant. I am a nontraditional AMG from a top 20 school. I passed all my classes, scored 229 on step 1, have 2 good SLOE, and great interviews at only 5 prestigious places. I just got my Step 2 CK score of 215. I was scoring much higher on UWORLD but I got pressed for time on every section of Step 2CK. Do I need to release my score to the programs for them to rank me highly? Will it matter? I was nervous enough about matching with only 5 interviews.

What did programs tell you when they interviewed? Some prefer step 2 be passed before rank list, others don't care. Did any programs mention it when you were there?

No one mentioned it during my interviews. I think it would be weird for me to call and ask now.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's only a part of the equation. Pretty sure you've already been evaluated and ranked and your score will have little to no effect. It's a fair question though.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure at this point it won't hurt or help your situation if you don't send it in. Like the person above already stated, you prolly already been judged and ranked at this point in time even without the step 2 in. Just my 2 cents but sending it in now will only hurt ya.

I'm sure at this point it won't hurt or help your situation if you don't send it in. Like the person above already stated, you prolly already been judged and ranked at this point in time even without the step 2 in. Just my 2 cents but sending it in now will only hurt ya.

Might also look suspicious if you're hiding it and could potentially hurt you. Welcome to SDN neuroticism/theory-crafting 101. You're going to have do it eventually. I would do it now.

#doitnow#gettothechoppa

I would not send unless they won't rank you without it. Step 2 tends to be more important that step 1 so all it could do is hurt you. You should call the coordinator anonymously and ask if they require step 2 scores to rank. I know some places I interviewed at told us straight up that we needed both step 2 scores to be included in the final rank list.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn't give it. I think it's ridiculous how much emphasis are placed on these silly tests

Yeah, I figure they've already rated me. I call anonymously tomorrow and see what they say.

Yeah, I figure they've already rated me. I call anonymously tomorrow and see what they say.
I'm in a similar situation to you...had some personal things happen that likely affected my performance, and dropped ~10 points from step 1 to step 2ck. I had two programs email me asking for my CK score, and when I replied saying I was waiting for the score to be released (which was true at the time), they basically said--'no problem, but please upload asap.' No other program mentioned it as far as I can recall.

What do people think about emailing a score report to any program that asks for you to upload it, and not uploading it otherwise?

I'm in a similar situation to you...had some personal things happen that likely affected my performance, and dropped ~10 points from step 1 to step 2ck. I had two programs email me asking for my CK score, and when I replied saying I was waiting for the score to be released (which was true at the time), they basically said--'no problem, but please upload asap.' No other program mentioned it as far as I can recall.

What do people think about emailing a score report to any program that asks for you to upload it, and not uploading it otherwise?

I think you can choose who you want to send the score to the second time around.

Thank you for clarifying. I just checked and gutonc is correct they go out to everyone.

In my experience programs are looking for reasons to eliminate people. Don't give them a reason if it hurts your application.

In my experience programs are looking for reasons to eliminate people. Don't give them a reason if it hurts your application.
So does that mean not sending in your step 2 even if it's a downgrade from your step 1...or does that mean sending in a step 2 even if it is subpar lol?!

Reactions: 1 user
Just to close the loop on this thread. I released my scores to the programs. I somehow matched at my #1 and I am heading to a top academic program!!!!! Dreams do come true.

Reactions: 2 users