Release step 2 score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docinthebox30

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm going into Emergency Medicine. I scored a 237 on step 1 and then had a bad test day and scored 223 on step 2. I have the option of withholding my step 2 score but was wondering if I should. I imagine I should get a fair amount of interviews with my step 1 score but don't know if my step 2 score injures me enough to where I wouldn't be able to match. Would I be better served to just get it out there in the open before interview season? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

It could work both ways...you can withhold your score until after interviews, send it than and hope that they don't rank you lower after seeing when the score was back. Or you can just send it in now, have everything out in the open and than explain and have them respect your honesty during the interview. I think either way you go you'll get interviews, just worried about the ranking process though

I am in worse scenario 231 step 1 down to 222 step 2. DO candidate. Sigh. I am really thinking about releasing it and just rolling with the punch. I feel like most EM residencies put more weight on step 2. What do you think?

My thoughts right now are I don't want to be filtered out for interviews. Where do I find out the information on which schools require/like step 2 score before interviews? I have the ability to only release my scores to certain programs. I have a good COMLEX step 2 that showed improvement level 1 561 to level 2 587 that was released to all programs yesterday.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I personally would release it. I had a classmate with extremely similar scores on step 1/2 and they got more than enough interviews. I don't think they were ever asked about it once. I think its better to be transparent about your application from the start. Also then you have a chance to talk about it with your interviewer if it does come up, as hoosier said.

I did well on step 2 and I'm not releasing because I think pds are becoming too obsessed with test scores and numbers

I did well on step 2 and I'm not releasing because I think pds are becoming too obsessed with test scores and numbers
Seriously? Why would you shoot yourself in the foot like that?

That's like when Calvin would close one eye while cracking eggs, and Hobbes asked him why. Calvin told him that it's because it messes with his depth perception, making it harder to do. Except you're not cracking eggs, but it's your future.

669dd66d87085e5cb049ea4000d4e4b3.jpg