Relevance of high school national science awards? (Intel?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluedevil2018

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I've been browsing the forums, and seeing that high school is pretty much irrelevant to put onto med school apps. But in some threads, some people have insisted that certain science fair/olympiad type awards may be appropriate. Ultimately, I haven't been able to get a clear cut answer and thus I am still not sure, so I decided to post.

My senior year in high school, I was one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search finalists nationwide (The Intel Science Talent Search is a nationwide science fair for seniors only), and was also named a Davidson Fellow (These are scholarships given in the range from $10-50K for college). These awards were both given out BEFORE I started college, to be clear. Is it a good idea to list these awards on my apps? Or it is better not listed?

I'd appreciate the advice! Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

While I normally believe that what happened in high school stays in high school, this is such a rare accolade that it's worth a mention.

Naturally, the follow-up will be "what have you done since then"?????

Hi!

I've been browsing the forums, and seeing that high school is pretty much irrelevant to put onto med school apps. But in some threads, some people have insisted that certain science fair/olympiad type awards may be appropriate. Ultimately, I haven't been able to get a clear cut answer and thus I am still not sure, so I decided to post.

My senior year in high school, I was one of 40 Intel Science Talent Search finalists nationwide (The Intel Science Talent Search is a nationwide science fair for seniors only), and was also named a Davidson Fellow (These are scholarships given in the range from $10-50K for college). These awards were both given out BEFORE I started college, to be clear. Is it a good idea to list these awards on my apps? Or it is better not listed?

I'd appreciate the advice! Thanks!

Reactions: 2 users
If you still have room after you list your college stuff, then it's worth mentioning. But make sure what happens after high school graduation gets listed first.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
While I normally believe that what happened in high school stays in high school, this is such a rare accolade that it's worth a mention.

Naturally, the follow-up will be "what have you done since then"?????

Thank you Goro!

I've been continuing my research in undergrad so far, for over a year- and ever since after high school, I've been building up a non-profit organization over the years that is based off the research I've worked on, as the research is concerning affordable solutions to a big humanitarian crisis (I am trying not to be too specific, for privacy).

Primarily, this has been my main focus, in terms of work during undergrad (asides from some other smaller things), as it takes up a lot of my time, and I really enjoy doing this. So from what I understand, even though I started the research in high school, since I am continuing it, this won't be discounted, right?

Another good option is to mention it in the description for your research, but the fact that you earned this award doesn't have to be it's own entry.

You're doing great.

Now, don't forget about all the clinical and non-clinical volunteering!

Thank you Goro!

I've been continuing my research in undergrad so far, for over a year- and ever since after high school, I've been building up a non-profit organization over the years that is based off the research I've worked on, as the research is concerning affordable solutions to a big humanitarian crisis (I am trying not to be too specific, for privacy).

Primarily, this has been my main focus, in terms of work during undergrad (asides from some other smaller things), as it takes up a lot of my time, and I really enjoy doing this. So from what I understand, even though I started the research in high school, since I am continuing it, this won't be discounted, right?

You're doing great.

Now, don't forget about all the clinical and non-clinical volunteering!

Will do haha!

I also was wondering - I am on a full merit scholarship my undergrad (a top 10 school) - is it worth mentioning this as well? Or not, since technically, the scholarship was awarded based on high school qualifications?

Thank you for being so helpful everyone!

Basically, that stuff gets you into a top program, and then the top program gives you the opportunities for med school.

Generally, AMCAS is for stuff you did for undergrad, or any grad school between undergrad and med school. I don't think that it will harm you if you list it, but undergrad achievement is what adcoms are looking for, generally.