Religion among Premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chelseamapp

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not to start a war here but because I know that there are a quite a few atheists in the medical profession, I'm wondering how pre-medical students compare. Personally I am a Christian and just want to know about other belief systems among premeds.

Members don't see this ad.

Agnostic atheist.

Edited for Womb Raider's response. I just find it easier to say agnostic when asked. Also, raised and confirmed Congregationalist; still good friends with the pastor I had growing-up.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Premeds are just like any other heterogenous group. You'll have people from all faiths or non-faiths. I aspire to be Buddhist one day, but agnostic in belief and practice most of the time.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When it comes to patient care I don't think a physician's specific religion matters. The different doesn't lie in whether or not a person is Christian/Jewish/Muslim/Hindu. The only point of difference lies in whether or not the person is religious.

Reactions: 1 user
Agnostic

Non-practicing Catholic. I believe in God and the Holy Trinity, Bible being symbolic as JSenpai mentioned, and in spreading love and preaching tolerance and redemption.
However, I do not go to Church.

It's been a while since we had a religion thread. Good call, OP.

Reactions: 14 users
Agnostic atheist.

Simply saying "agnostic" or "atheist" is ambiguous.

Edit: raised Christian.

Agnostic atheist.

Simply saying "agnostic" or "atheist" is ambiguous.

Edit: raised Christian.
Agnostic atheist here as well.

What you say here is technically true; however, FWIW I have never met an atheist who wasn't agnostic or an agnostic who wasn't atheist.

Just to clarify for others, "atheist" by itself just means lack of belief in any deities, it is NOT the claim that you know that no deities exist.

Last edited:
Pagan.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm one of those crazy Christians that actually believes everything in the Bible

Reactions: 11 users
13648388940071.jpg

Reactions: 3 users
Agnostic, because I don't possess the certitude that atheists and Christians have. I simply don't know.

I keep the old gods. Will be matriculating at a school with a heart tree.

Reactions: 27 users
Raised Catholic but not a very strict one. My dad is agnostic athiest but my mom carried us to church and I did confirmation and the whole shebang. Now I would say I'm theist agnostic I guess? I think that there is a God of sorts, or at least some higher power or something beyond the physical world (souls, spiris, etc) but we can never really ever know. I'm not religious at all though now. Have not gone to church in a couple years.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was raised Catholic and went to religious education lessons for 8-10 years, but I simply just don't care. I wouldn't call myself an atheist because I don't actively deny the existence of God. Whether or not God exists has no effect on my life.

I sacrifice a bull and offer wine to Athena before my Biochem tests

Reactions: 23 users
Agnostic atheist here as well.

What you say here is technically true; however, FWIW I have never met an atheist who wasn't agnostic or an agnostic who wasn't atheist.

Just to clarify for others, "atheist" by itself just means lack of belief in any deities, it is NOT the claim that you know that no deities exist.

Fair enough.

However, I've encounter a few people who would consider themselves gnostic atheists (much more uncommon, I agree).

As far as the distinction between gnostic theist & agnostic theist is concerned - I think it's a very important distinction to be aware of, especially in the field of medicine.

We are all, presumably, very rational and logical people here on SDN. We firmly believe in the scientific method and often scoff at the pseudosciences (e.g. astrology, fortune cookies, etc...). This is important to realize because this habit of cool rationalism becomes a part of who we are - doubting is absolutely fundamental to our success. Therefore, it is my opinion that it is VERY difficult for an American physician, who believes in the sciences he devoted his life to, to consider himself a true "gnostic theist" which is the position of knowledge that the majority of theists claim. I'm not saying it's impossible, but I believe it's much more common among physicians to be "agnostic theists" than the remainder of the population - hence the reason I believe specifying is important.

Edit: check post #26 @GingerGirl27

I keep the old gods. Will be matriculating at a school with a heart tree.
The night is dark and full of terror. There is no god but the Lord of light, and all who stand in my way will be cleansed in fire.

I'm a Bible thumper. You know I'm gunning for Loma.

Reactions: 6 users
Agnotic Atheist practicing Catholicism (family/love the family traditions linked to it).

I just call myself atheist when asked. I care so little about this stuff that I don't even specify by adding agnostic or whatever else on the front. I just dont care enough to get more specific with my label.

In college I used to spend A LOT of time thinking about this type of stuff, but in the end I came to the conclusions that it is a colossal waste of time and energy.

I was raised in a religious family, drove myself crazy trying to figure everything out in college, and came out the whole thing realizing it really was just a waste of time. I suppose I'll just call myself agnostic and leave this all behind me.

Raised Catholic, dabbled in Zen Buddhism, now agnostic (which I suppose isn't incompatible with Zen). Still go to mass for Xmas, because I ****ing love Xmas. Still meditate because it's ****ing relaxing. ****.

"Red Letter" Christian. Basically, the words of Christ are important and the rest of the Bible is either a history lesson or symbolic.

"Love everyone" is pretty much the extent of the teachings.

EDIT: I also incorporate a good amount of Zen into my daily life, but that's not even a religion, really.
LOL I love how shallow and superficial all of your beliefs are

Larry-Sanders.gif

I'm surprised to see so many self-identifying atheists and agnostics on here. I feel like 80% of the pre-meds in my courses are religious. Always interesting when someone spends all class period participating in a discussion about evolution and then starts talking about God to their friend the moment the class gets out. NOT saying that it's impossible for someone to both be religious and accept evolution. It's just bizarre for me to witness having attended high school in a very conservative area where parents threw fits if the word "evolution" was even used in a class, and all of my classmates thought evolution was a concept invented by Satan.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm surprised to see so many self-identifying atheists and agnostics on here. I feel like 80% of the pre-meds in my courses are religious.

It's because people realize they're much more likely to be ridiculed for expressing their religious beliefs on here. Pretty much true in all academic settings.

There are quite a few SDA's out there who actively believe in creationism. So there is always that minority.

It's because people realize they're much more likely to be ridiculed for expressing their religious beliefs on here. Pretty much true in all academic settings.
Very true, very true.

I run into tons of muslims, hindus, and Buddhists.