Religion among Premeds

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Former Roman Catholic, was Wiccan when I first applied and now I am Jewish.

Not to start a war here but because I know that there are a quite a few atheists in the medical profession, I'm wondering how pre-medical students compare. Personally I am a Christian and just want to know about other belief systems among premeds.
mer

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm a Christian, but at my school, which is a huge research university, the majority I think are atheists.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am muslim. Highly value my beliefs and try to apply them to daily life.

Reactions: 4 users
What do you mean "apply them to daily life"? What does that look like for a Muslim? I mean, I have an idea in my head but I'm guessing if you followed that you'd have ended up in Guantanamo Bay by now.

omg. please stop.

Reactions: 9 users
Probably the same way that most Christians and Jews "apply them to daily life." By taking the good and tossing out the bad.

What do you mean "apply them to daily life"? What does that look like for a Muslim? I mean, I have an idea in my head but I'm guessing if you followed that you'd have ended up in Guantanamo Bay by now.

Reactions: 1 users
Everyone has an opinion and different belief systems than you do, please be respectful. If you don't agree you can move on and not comment.

I'd probably say that I'm agostic atheist too, I grew up Christian/Pentecostal though.

Agnostic/atheist, raised Sikh.

Why become a doctor if you believe you can heal people by laying hands on them and babbling senselessly?

Not what it is at all, but

You_tried_.png

Reactions: 6 users
Good laugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
Another Muslim in the house!

Just to throw this out there: religion isn't and shouldn't be inherently controversial. It only becomes an issue when, say, I have a Jehovah's Witness patient dying on the table who refuses a blood tranfusion, and I as a Muslim am obligated to do everything in my power to keep this guy alive...including blood transfusions. Whose rights prevail? (Short answer: the patient's.)

Reactions: 9 users
Why become a doctor if you believe you can heal people by laying hands on them and babbling senselessly?
Interestingly, it's supposed to be the fastest growing sect of Christianity. That is legitimately disturbing seeing how Pentecostals view the world. Some countries in Africa are banning them because they are legitimately horrified of them.

Lol @ProfessorKhan banned
tumblr_m9fp7bVfJ11qk72exo1_500.gif

Sorry about that. Zen re-established.

Reactions: 5 users
Christian. I believe in the trinity. Baptism fully submerged. Non-denominational. But I did "practice" Wicca when I was like 14 I thought I could put a curse on a boy to be my boyfriend. Ended up scaring the ish out of myself. Over active imagination. and ......that's probably why I'm still single. I wish I was making this up....

Raised atheist and currently atheist.

I have some very personal thoughts about religion bc one of my relatives was harmed by it but I will refrain from posting.

Interestingly, it's supposed to be the fastest growing sect of Christianity. That is legitimately disturbing seeing how Pentecostals view the world. Some countries in Africa are banning them because they are legitimately horrified of them.

Yeah I've been to my fair share of Pentecostal church services. Definitely an interesting set of experiences...

Orthodox Christian. The Bible is literal, though few accounts are symbolic.

Oh yeah I forgot, sometimes there are rattlesnakes involved. :p
You see that I said apostolic Pentecostal there is a huge difference than just being Pentecostal alone and yes I do believe the whole rattlesnake thing is ridiculous that's just tempting God.

While they definitely have their problems, in those countries it has more to do with the government taking offense to criticisms against them than them actually being horrified.

While they definitely have their problems, in those countries it has more to do with the government taking offense to criticisms against them than them actually being horrified.
That and they have had problems with radical Islam. There are ways of dealing with these things aside from removing religious freedoms, though.

Christian. I believe in the trinity. Baptism fully submerged. Non-denominational. But I did "practice" Wicca when I was like 14 I thought I could put a curse on a boy to be my boyfriend. Ended up scaring the ish out of myself. Over active imagination. and ......that's probably why I'm still single. I wish I was making this up....
Do you believe in baptism in Jesus name?

I'm an atheist, but I always enjoy talking to patients about their faith. I think it's very helpful for many people in keeping a positive attitude.

Reactions: 5 users
Catholic, attend mass regularly but not especially religious

I'm an atheist but I studied religions for a while, so i'm not gonna disrespect anyone for believing differently.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm 100% female, but I'll totally take your bro, bro. =)

More importantly, dude! This is awesome! Biggest guns I've ever seen in a Sikh.
Well hello there.... :naughty:
My bad lol I usually look at the profile to see someone's gender before I do a reference.

I'm Catholic over here & have become super spiritual throughout my medical school application process! :)

I just wanted to share (respectfully) these few prayers to other Catholics/Christians/believers on this thread...they definitely got me thru! Hope these help you too,

* O Most Beautiful Flower of Mt. Carmel, Fruitful Vine, Splendor of Heaven, Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin, assist me in my necessity. O Star of the Sea, help me and show me herein you are my Mother. O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succour me in my necessity
(Mention Your Request)
* There are none that can withstand your power.
* O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee. (3 times)
* O Holy Mary, I place this cause in your hands. (3 times)
Say this prayer for 3 consecutive days. You must publish it, and it will be granted to you.

"May the Sacred Heart of Jesus
be Adored, Glorified, Loved & Preserved
through-out the world, now & forever.
Sacred Heart of Jesus, pray for us.
Saint Jude, Worker of miracles, pray for us.
Saint Jude, Helper of the Hopeless, pray for us."

Glorious Apostle , Saint Jude Thaddeus, I salute you through the
Sacred Heart of Jesus. Through his heart I praise and thank God for all the graces he has bestowed upon you. i implore you, through his love, to look upon me with compassion. Do not despise my poor prayer, Do not let my trust be confounded! God has granted to you the privilege of aiding mankind in the most desperate cases. Oh , come to my aid that I may praise the mercies of God! All my life I will be your grateful client until I can thank you in heaven. Amen
(Mention your request)
Saint Jude, pray for us, and for all who invoke your aid.
Publication of thanks to St Jude must be promised. Say this Novena nine times in a row for nine days in a row.

C'mon...seriously? I'm all for first amendment rights and religious freedom, but is this really what this thread is going to become?

C'mon...seriously? I'm all for first amendment rights and religious freedom, but is this really what this thread is going to become?

Well I find this inspiring and turn to it for hope:

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right,
But that three lefts do.
Wherever possible put people on "HOLD".
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
And despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.
Remember the Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you;
That lemon on your left for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls,
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face.
Carefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan,
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
For a good time, call 606-4311.
Take heart amid the deepening gloom that your dog
Is finally getting enough cheese;
And reflect that whatever fortunes may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Sioux City.
You are a fluke of the Universe.
You have no right to be here, and whether you can hear it or not,
The Universe is laughing behind your back.
Therefore make peace with your God whatever you conceive him to be,
Hairy Thunderer or Cosmic Muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up.

That should balance things.

Reactions: 4 users
Well I find this inspiring and turn to it for hope:

Go placidly amid the noise and waste,
And remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Avoid quiet and passive persons unless you are in need of sleep.
Rotate your tires.
Speak glowingly of those greater than yourself,
And heed well their advice, even though they be turkeys.
Know what to kiss and when.
Consider that two wrongs never make a right,
But that three lefts do.
Wherever possible put people on "HOLD".
Be comforted that in the face of all aridity and disillusionment,
And despite the changing fortunes of time,
There is always a big future in computer maintenance.
Remember the Pueblo.
Strive at all times to bend, fold, spindle and mutilate.
Know yourself. If you need help, call the FBI.
Exercise caution in your daily affairs,
Especially with those persons closest to you;
That lemon on your left for instance.
Be assured that a walk through the ocean of most souls,
Would scarcely get your feet wet.
Fall not in love therefore; it will stick to your face.
Carefully surrender the things of youth: birds, clean air, tuna, Taiwan,
And let not the sands of time get in your lunch.
For a good time, call 606-4311.
Take heart amid the deepening gloom that your dog
Is finally getting enough cheese;
And reflect that whatever fortunes may be your lot,
It could only be worse in Sioux City.
You are a fluke of the Universe.
You have no right to be here, and whether you can hear it or not,
The Universe is laughing behind your back.
Therefore make peace with your God whatever you conceive him to be,
Hairy Thunderer or Cosmic Muffin.
With all its hopes, dreams, promises, and urban renewal,
The world continues to deteriorate.
Give up.

That should balance things.

Well done! All is now balanced and well. :cool:

Atheist. Was raised Catholic (never confirmed though so I've got that going for me)

If I had to convert to a religion though I would totally pick Sikhism. It's BA.

Atheist. Was raised Catholic (never confirmed though so I've got that going for me)

If I had to convert to a religion though I would totally pick Sikhism. It's BA.
I was waiting for you to pop in here.

I was waiting for you to pop in here.
Inorite. This thread has touchpause written all over it.

I find it interesting that we have a lot of both ends of the spectrum. Also I'm excited about so many atheists/agnostics! I don't know many others IRL! That's what happens when you live in a conservative state for so long lol

Inorite. This thread has touchpause written all over it.

I find it interesting that we have a lot of both ends of the spectrum. Also I'm excited about so many atheists/agnostics! I don't know many others IRL! That's what happens when you live in a conservative state for so long lol

Meh. It's a surprisingly liberal state. People just vote and act conservative out of conformity and ignorance... :thinking:

Meh. It's a surprisingly liberal state. People just vote and act conservative out of conformity and ignorance... :thinking:

The grandest of forks is pretty conservative. But now I'm in the bastion of liberalism that is iowa. I'm not even kidding this shet is awesome.