Relistor

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NJPAIN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have experience with Relistor? I have a 89 yo family member who lives with us who is chronically on opioids and a host of laxatives incl Senakot-s , Linzess. Serial doses of miralax today with no effect. I have a box of Relistor in the house I have never used. Looking to avoid the trip to the ER.

Members don't see this ad.

I basically had the same case. Mine was a 94 year old with no BM for 8 days on tylenol #3 1 tab per day. It is an easy SQ injection. She had a BM in 6 hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Works very well but it's an injection so some patients do not like that. There is a new oral med movantik (naloxogel) that works very well also and is oral. New drug so it can be pricey.

I remember when I was an intern we would just put a vial of narcan into some juice or applesauce and viola.... The pharmacists got pissed as it was "off label" but it worked.

I second PainDrain on the use of Movantik. I have prescribed it for 3 patients thus far and is working well. The rep's can probably get you samples to give out.

Could also consider an osmotic Laxative like Lactulose, but the nauseatingly sweet taste and resulting gassiness usually prevents folks from staying on it.

relistor = $25 a poop!

Doesn't always work the first dose - but I think the data shows that about 95% or better will go after the second dose....pretty cool.

Oral narcan works? I think I'll try that sometime.

Does that mean suboxone doesn't cause constipation?

relistor = $25 a poop!

Doesn't always work the first dose - but I think the data shows that about 95% or better will go after the second dose....pretty cool.

Oral narcan works? I think I'll try that sometime.

Does that mean suboxone doesn't cause constipation?

I have only written Relistor twice. Almost everyone Does well on sennokot-s, miralax, amitiza or linzess.

But $50 for 2 doses to poop is a drop in the bucket if they have to go to the ER.

I'm thing I'm going to try it. The stuff I have is a few years old but has been in the box in a cool dark closet the entire time. Ordered more but it won't arrive till tomorrow. Otherwise I will spend my night in the ER while my wife is home with our 4 year old with temp 104. Thanks for the input

Wrote it a couple times for inpatients. They'll have the poop of their life.

Develop a pain treatment that works this well and you can retire.