Relocation and dental licensure

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faux

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Applying to dental school this June and I live in NYC. Obviously the saturation talk that occurs on SDN scares me a bit but I'm actually open to relocating once I graduate and maybe come back after a few years. I keep hearing terms like NERB and Adex and how majority of states exam one of two exams. Is it possible to take both exams before you graduate so that you can be free to practice anywhere? I would hate to have to take an exam 10-15 years from now just because I like a particular state a bit more.

Members don't see this ad.

The ADLEX and NERB are essentially the same thing. The ADLEX is an organization that have a list of member states that accept the NERB exam.

Yes, you can take multiple licensing exams in the 4th year of dental school: ie. NERB and WREB (Western Region), or the NERB and CRTA (Central Region). No one is going to stop you, but there are some reasons why majority of students only take one exam:
- exams are very stressful,
- very expensive (NERB was like 2 - 3 K for registration + preparation, and whatnot)
- logistical nightmares (because of transporting patients), ensuring pts come on time, finding time to screen for patients
- often schools will only offer one exam, so to take another exam, you may have to go to another school (which usually they will let you do), or if you are in a city with only one school, you may have to go to another city / state - then you transport your patients even farther.
- even if you take the NERB and WREB, which (I believe) are the two exams that cover the most states, you still can't practice anywhere in the USA. Some oddball states have their own exams, other states (NY, DE) require a 1 year GPR or AEGD after dental school, regardless of which exam you take.

Lots of fun bull@#@# to look forward to.

Some states have a 'grandfather' policy, where if you've been working in one state for x number of years (5 or so), you can practice in their state, so long as your license is in good standing, etc. There's a lot to look in to.