Reminder to submit your ASP/ISP/etc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

backrow

60% of the time it works everytime
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just a friendly reminder that we are in the 60 day (for Navy and likely the others) window that you can start routing your paperwork for a 1 July payment date.

If you are coming out of fellowship don't forget this is a chance to re-align your dates so your specialty bonus is paid in July instead of October if you can/want to sign a multi-year agreement. If you don't re-align then you'll get stuck with an October separation date instead of July down the road.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just a friendly reminder that we are in the 60 day (for Navy and likely the others) window that you can start routing your paperwork for a 1 July payment date.

If you are coming out of fellowship don't forget this is a chance to re-align your dates so your specialty bonus is paid in July instead of October if you can/want to sign a multi-year agreement. If you don't re-align then you'll get stuck with an October separation date instead of July down the road.
I was just told that we are no longer able to renegotiate the ISP to align with payment of the ASP. Is this Army only?

I was just told that we are no longer able to renegotiate the ISP to align with payment of the ASP. Is this Army only?

I know the Army changed a couple years ago to say no renegotiating of the special pays, but I'm not sure if that applies to signing a new multi-year bonus when one has only signed the ISP before. I would write your special pays folks up at Army Medicine HQ.

For the Navy we are definitely still allowed to renegotiate.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope that DoD increases those "bonuses" for y'all but it is unlikely given the current fiscal climate. Ridiculous that they have not increased (at least in my specialty) in over 25 years.

Pretty sad that I can make the entire year ISP for otolaryngology (36K) by doing 4-5 balloon sinuplasty cases in clinic.

I hope that DoD increases those "bonuses" for y'all but it is unlikely given the current fiscal climate. Ridiculous that they have not increased (at least in my specialty) in over 25 years.

Pretty sad that I can make the entire year ISP for otolaryngology (36K) by doing 4-5 balloon sinuplasty cases in clinic.

To me the bigger (well, maybe not bigger, but equally painful) affront is that these are "bonuses" and therefore not used to calculate retirement pay. I know, I know....they are "retention tools" blah blah blah :)

I know the Army changed a couple years ago to say no renegotiating of the special pays, but I'm not sure if that applies to signing a new multi-year bonus when one has only signed the ISP before. I would write your special pays folks up at Army Medicine HQ.

For the Navy we are definitely still allowed to renegotiate.

I am USA and I am pretty sure I was one of the last cohorts to realign bonuses. I realigned my in 2012.

Do you think a clinic procedure like that will continue to reimburse $8K for the foreseeable future? From the outside, it looks like a fat target for cuts.

Make hay while the sun shines! :)

realignment post fellowship is dead. at least for the vanilla yearly ISP. multi-year agreements you may (i only say may because i don't have firsthand knowledge) still be able to but the policy change of a couple years ago killed it off. i checked with multiple sources and they all said the same thing.

--your friendly neighborhood non-synchronized caveman

Don't know about you guys but Air Force is taking ASP contracts, but no special pay contracts after Sept 30, i.e. (ISP/MSP). I'm guessing the new special pay system might go into effect?

Don't know about you guys but Air Force is taking ASP contracts, but no special pay contracts after Sept 30, i.e. (ISP/MSP). I'm guessing the new special pay system might go into effect?
Wow, looks like the services are taking 3 divergent paths on pays at a time when they are trying to become more unified. That doesn't make much sense to me...

Navy is definitely accepting them, sounds like Army is out of the business of renegotiations (probably of any type) and Air Force is in its own world.

Do you think a clinic procedure like that will continue to reimburse $8K for the foreseeable future? From the outside, it looks like a fat target for cuts.

Make hay while the sun shines! :)

No, reimbursement will not last. The procedure used to only be done in the OR which would run around 25K (the physician would only keep around 600-800 hundred). With performing the procedure in clinic there is no facility fee so we keep the entire amount minus cost of balloons and overhead. Pretty sweet deal - but as you said make hay when the sun shines because it will not last.

Hadn't heard anything about a new special pay system. Anyone have any info? Just signed for the July bonus but hadn't heard anything yet for October since we aren't in the window to sign.