Reminders: What to Pack for OOS Interviews.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pianola

MS2
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since it's interview season, I decided we should consider starting a "what to pack" list for OOS interviews/flights :). I realize not everyone packs exactly the same, but it'd be good to have some reminders, perhaps :D. Please add to my basic outline.

Essential Interview Materials: Copy of AMCAS submission, secondary materials, copy of your interview invitation, phone number of the school, contact information for person/place where you are staying, possibly a map of the area. Flight information. Necessary forms of ID (drivers license/passport). You may possibly need some form of credit/debit card to check in. Remember to bring a 2x2 photo if the school requests it.

If in School: Homework/Study materials (probably not many).

Clothes: Sleepwear, Weather-appropriate clothes --> umbrella or raincoat if necessary. Interview suit (x2 if desired).

Hygiene Items: toothpaste/toothbrush/contact lenses/glasses (+ backup pair of glasses). Lens solution. Deodorant/anti-perspirant. Shampoo, soap, razor, shaving cream, face lotion, comb/brush, nail clippers. Towels. Hair dryer, perhaps. Pocket-sized kleenex/tissues.

For Women: Cosmetics, jewelry, face wash, knee-highs. Cologne/perfume. Extra panty hose, perhaps. Heels and/or walking shoes, purse.

For Men: Dress socks/undershirt. Shoe shine. Tie. Belt. Shoe horn.

Additional: Any short printouts about the US healthcare system, perhaps. Laptop computer and cord, perhaps (?) Food/snacks. Vitamins, q-tips. Cell phone and charger. Sunglasses. Mouthwash. Small notepad for taking notes. MSAR, perhaps (?) iPod and charger, suitcase, 3 oz bottles/ziploc, camera. Digital or analog watch. Thank you card and/or small gift for host. List of questions from the SDN interview thread if desired. Shower shoes. Tide pen/spot remover. Bandaids. Headache meds/analgesics. Travel alarm clock. Enough cash to cover a taxi-emergency and/or other emergency. Whey protein, water bottle. Pen, pencil, and/or padfolio. Lint brush. Hand sanitizer. Bottle of wrinkle release. Suit bag. Don't forget any medications you take regularly.

Questionable: Backpack (useful, but oh so awkward and may wrinkle your suit).

OK, please add :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
extra pantyhose for the ladies if oyu are wearing a skirt suit.
some food maybe, depending on when you arrive and where it is you are going.

:thumbup: I'll add suggestions to the first post as they come in. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I would add (extra-strength) deoderant/antiperspirant.

here is a partial list of what I pack

phone number of the school in case something goes wrong, directions, cologne/perfume, shampoo soap, razor, shaving cream, face lotion, shampoo, soap, comb/brush, dress socks, belt, dress shoes, shoe shine/cleaning wipes, tie, dress shirt, cell phone, cell phone charger, sunglasses, mouth wash, underwear, undershirt, vitamins, q-tips

Copies of AMCAS primary app. and secondary app. are for yourself, right?
So that you can take a look at it before going in.

I would bring a small notepad for taking notes about interviews right after they happen. It makes it much easier to write insightful thank-you notes.

AND bring your flight information!

OOOOOhhhhh ya its that cell phone charger that always gets me! I've got about 3 extras now as a result of buying new ones on trips....

Copies of AMCAS primary app. and secondary app. are for yourself, right?
So that you can take a look at it before going in.

Yes.

Thanks guys. I think this may be a helpful resource.

Definitely a few things I almost forgot: I always pack vitamins, for example. Thanks for the reminder, redrumi.

Members don't see this ad :)
A nice-looking travel bag/suitcase (mine is black), to not be embarrassed when storing it at an admissions office if you are catching a plane immediately after the interview.
Suit with at least 2 options
: If I am bringing my black suit (and not my grey one), I bring a skirt and pants so as to decide what I feel more comfortable in that morning. With both suits, I bring two different tops. This doesn't add much bulk because you can use one hanger for both tops and one hanger for both bottoms.
2 pairs of pantyhose, 1 pair of knee-highs (mainly for pants)
3oz containers of hair product of choice, lotion, toothpaste (and a travel-size mini brush), face wash (extremely sensitive skin + motel soap = "I'm sorry, this is the admissions department. The dermatology offices are on floor C, in the south wing")
Heels and comfortable black shoes for tours
Makeup and necessary accessories (brushes, q-tips, etc). Make sure all of these things are airline-safe (nowadays they allow most things, even razors, mini scissors, and nail clippers) and that any liquid makeup that you might use is in the appropriate size container
Computer, phone, ipod, necessary chargers
Small umbrella
A paper list of the addresses, phone numbers, and confirmation/reservation/ticket codes of all flights, hotels, taxis, etc that you may need in case you cannot access wireless internet. Leave an identical list with someone at home in case you lose yours for whatever reason.
The necessary forms of ID. Some schools (like UMDNJ) require that you bring 2 forms of government-issued ID to your appointment.

Is it unprofessional to bring a backpack instead of one of those luggage-on-wheels carry-ons to the interview? (i'm heading to the airport right after the interview)

All I can say is thank god I am not a girl. Make up, brushes, hair care, "two different suits," assuming different pairs of shoes, etc etc etc.

Reactions: 1 users
All I can say is thank god I am not a girl. Make up, brushes, hair care, "two different suits," assuming different pairs of shoes, etc etc etc.

It's really not that bad - two suits isn't necessary, I do it cause skirts are better for warmer weather and pants are better for colder weather. Most girls only bring one. Shoes = I wear the same shoes for each interview + have a pair of comfortable flats for the tour (and I wear them to the airport-so it's the same thing as a dude wearing sneakers to the airport, the end result is 2 pairs of shoes). My makeup + brushes takes up a whole... hrm... half of a ziplock bag! So is really not a big deal ^_^

It's really not that bad - two suits isn't necessary, I do it cause skirts are better for warmer weather and pants are better for colder weather. Most girls only bring one. Shoes = I wear the same shoes for each interview + have a pair of comfortable flats for the tour (and I wear them to the airport-so it's the same thing as a dude wearing sneakers to the airport, the end result is 2 pairs of shoes). My makeup + brushes takes up a whole... hrm... half of a ziplock bag! So is really not a big deal ^_^

Haha its not so much the quantity of materials you have as much as it is just the fact that most guys don't even have those thoughts. For us its simple, as long as we are able to put on our shoes, keep the laces tied, and tie our ties straight we are doing fantastic! :D

Well, every woman has different considerations, so it's not like we all bring 50 pairs of panty hose, 10 extra contacts, 3 bottles of mascara, 5 shades of lip gloss, 6 sticks of lipstick, etc. etc. etc. Some things are possibly more important to me than they are to lainapox and vice versa. She might be a mascara gal while I'm not so big on the eye makeup. I might be big on lip gloss whereas she abhors the stuff.

It's woman-dependent. And some women hardly consider cosmetics at all. I doubt I'll be packing anything besides barebones essentials.

Is it unprofessional to bring a backpack instead of one of those luggage-on-wheels carry-ons to the interview? (i'm heading to the airport right after the interview)

You know it might not seem like the most ideal thing to have, but lets be serious here. We are first and foremost students and it would be silly to look down on someone using a backpack. I highly doubt anyone would give it a second thought.

I brought thank-you cards with me to leave at my student hosts' places. Some people even bring a small gift for their student hosts, but I don't think is absolutely necessary.

This is a packing list for women. I need about 1/4 of what you just said.

Shoe horn? Seriously?

Reactions: 1 user
Knee pads

so when you are on your knees begging for that acceptance, it won't hurt as much.

unless this was a "safety school" ;)

This is a packing list for women. I need about 1/4 of what you just said.

Shoe horn? Seriously?

I thought it was a packing list for everyone, and I seriously can't get my dress shoes on without a shoe horn, it is simply not possible. If I forgot that, I'd be screwed.

It IS a packing list for everyone.

And shoe horns are cool. The end.

Yes! I have the HumidBeing stamp of approval! I think you just made my night :D.

Last edited:
SHOWER SHOES!! esp if you staying in a dorm with a community bathroom

OP,

I'll have the mods change the thread title to "Official 2008-2009 Reminders: What to Pack for OOS Interviews" if you don't mind.

I'm about to start the IS analogue and I want everything to be organized.

OP,

I'll have the mods change the thread title to "Official 2008-2009 Reminders: What to Pack for OOS Interviews" if you don't mind.

I'm about to start the IS analogue and I want everything to be organized.

are you shemarty in disguise?

hey guys - thought I'd add a few things that I carry around on a daily basis that I didn't see mentioned here:

- "Tide-to-go" pen -- it's absolutely AWESOME at getting out stains (think interview after lunch . . .), and everyone has room for one of these in his/her pockets, purse, etc.

- band-aids - particularly helpful for girls with new shoes ;)

- headache med. of choice (I keep Excedrin and Sudafed Sinus Headache on hand, depending on what type of headache it is) - if you're like me and get stress-induced and/or sinus headaches, this is a must!

- safety pins - probably don't need more than a few . . . and I think this really only applies to girls, but these would be necessary for (1) gapping issues caused by button-down shirts (2) bra strap failure

Oh, and to those who think this list is over-the-top: read it, and if it applies/would be helpful, pack it; if not, don't - simple as that. (I, for one, think it was a great idea, pianola!! Thanks for organizing this!)

Hey guys...adding in the new ones now. I'm actually AT my first OOS interview (for which the list was created ;-)).

You can change the title of the thread if you desire, either way. I have no particular preference.

Hey guys...adding in the new ones now. I'm actually AT my first OOS interview (for which the list was created ;-)).

You can change the title of the thread if you desire, either way. I have no particular preference.
Good luck at your interview!!!:luck: (and I hope you didn't forget anything!)

Contact lens case, 3 oz bottle contact lens solution, extra set of contacts, back up pair of glasses.

I forgot these once on my way home for Thanksgiving and lost a contact mid-flight. It was a debacle.

pocket sized kleenex/tissues

suitcase full of nonsequential unmarked hundred dollar bills and a piece of paper with your AMCAS ID written on it, placed on top

Reactions: 1 users
Whey Protein and water bottle

Good luck at your interview!!!:luck: (and I hope you didn't forget anything!)

Thanks, redrumi :) And good luck to you, too, at upcoming interviews. Heh, actually I did forget something. Fortunately it was nonessential...don't worry, it's listed above. :D

btw target sells a good assortment of travel sized things at 99 cents a piece, they have a whole section of an aisle dedicated to it in the health and beauty section. They also have 3oz empty bottles so you can fill it with your own product and carry it on the plane.

a pen or a pencil!!! i was so busy packing my extra panty hose and assorted 3 oz bottles that i forgot something to write with hahah

I still think a padfolio with a pen/pencil is appropriate for both men and women. True, you usually get a folder containing all pertinent information about the school, but at my interview this past week we were not given something to write with. I was glad to have my handy pen inside my padfolio.

You know it might not seem like the most ideal thing to have, but lets be serious here. We are first and foremost students and it would be silly to look down on someone using a backpack. I highly doubt anyone would give it a second thought.

yea, i don't think anyone would look down on it, but carrying a backpack with your suit would probably wrinkle your jacket.

btw target sells a good assortment of travel sized things at 99 cents a piece, they have a whole section of an aisle dedicated to it in the health and beauty section. They also have 3oz empty bottles so you can fill it with your own product and carry it on the plane.

seriously, not having to check your bag is the best. plus, small toiletries take up much less space.

i overheard a story at an interview last year about a girl whose luggage got lost. a flight attendant took pity on her and gave her a stewardess uniform to wear. . . with the little scarf attached!! i would not want to be that person.

as for stuff on the list, i always brough mini hand sanitizer and a travel lint brush. maybe you could get a mini bottle of wrinkle release as well, so you don't endanger your suit with the shady hotel iron if for some reason the "shower steam" doesn't work.

i overheard a story at an interview last year about a girl whose luggage got lost. a flight attendant took pity on her and gave her a stewardess uniform to wear. . . with the little scarf attached!! i would not want to be that person.
At my Vermont interview one of the admissions officers told us that they've had people show up for interviews in jeans and a t-shirt before because they're luggage got lost. That would be so incredibly frustrating...

At my Vermont interview one of the admissions officers told us that they've had people show up for interviews in jeans and a t-shirt before because they're luggage got lost. That would be so incredibly frustrating...

:eek:. I'm leaving in a few days for two interview on the east coast. the whole trip is about a week and I have too much stuff to just do a carry-on, so I kind of have to check my luggage and hope for the best!

is your suit considered carried on? or can you have your pursue, a carry on, and your suit with you without the carry on being checked?

is your suit considered carried on? or can you have your pursue, a carry on, and your suit with you without the carry on being checked?

In general, you are allowed one "carry on" bag and one "personal item." The suit is considered a carry-on, and the purse is considered a personal item. You would have to check either the bag or the suit.