-removed-

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nonoandno

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
-removed-

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: 1 user
Residency is not an option, nor is leaving the state.

Then you will remain unemployed forever. It's time to grow up, son. Move out of mommy's bedroom and start grinding away at finding another job in another state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why don't you want to move out of state?

Dying relative? Caretaker to a sibling? What do you mean?

I'm assuming you're still young. This is the time to go out there and get what you want. No one is going to hand it to you. I'm in Texas and I have friends who accepted job offers in border towns upon graduation. Most of them are back in the major cities now after working a couple of years in those towns. I interviewed with Walmart for a job in a city that has no apartment listed online. I was ready to move there with two kids and was sad when I didn't get the job. My point is that you might have to sacrifice some more to get what you want.

Reactions: 2 users
Then you will remain unemployed forever. It's time to grow up, son. Move out of mommy's bedroom and start grinding away at finding another job in another state.

It's stories like this that make me question how bad the job market truly is. I know it's bad, I speak with my district manager about it in length often, but it is not "impossible" to find a job.

It just may not be the job you want. Sometimes you have to get over it and get experience. I wouldn't hire this person either with a poor attitude and lack of experience.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm assuming you're still young. This is the time to go out there and get what you want. No one is going to hand it to you. I'm in Texas and I have friends who accepted job offers in border towns upon graduation. Most of them are back in the major cities now after working a couple of years in those towns. I interviewed with Walmart for a job in a city that has no apartment listed online. I was ready to move there with two kids and was sad when I didn't get the job. My point is that you might have to sacrifice some more to get what you want.

Thank you for your input. I am aware that my expectations may be unrealistic. This was simply a narrative I hoped to share in a place without judgement or reprimand. A cathartic release. I believe my expectation was once again unrealistic.

Author's Note: Please take this piece at face value and offer no derisive comments about how my expectations ought to be lowered commensurate to the current job market. It is simply a reflection of what they had been to what they are now and an account of my experiences thus far. I seek no counsel. Though you may have determined particulars from the piece, please do not ask for any more identifying information. Thank you for reading.

You already have disclaimer in because this thread will generate plenty of comments with advice, some negative. Your location is not that hard to figure out. 4 hour radius for a job hunt is completely useless as no one will commute that far on regular basis. It sounds like you should be working for yourself.

Don't be defensive about receiving feedbacks. Some times you just need to hear them.

I don't understand it. You're an anonymous man or woman on a message board. Nobody knows who you are! Why are you trying to hide details of your story from us?

Reactions: 1 user
It must have been a good title, for the OP to want to change it, to bad I missed it.

Anyway...

Reality for most people (pharmacists or not), your first job will not be an ideal job. When I graduated years before the "golden age" of pharmacy, my ideal was to work retail (hospital secondary) in either my hometown city or my SO's city. Reality was, my first job was in a rinky-dink hospital in the middle of nowhere. Because, I had loans, I didn't want to be living in my momma's basement, and I had dreams of having a family....so I interviewed, and when I wasn't offered any of the jobs I wanted, I started spreading out and interviewing in farther and farther locations. And I took the first job offered too me, starting work about 2 months after graduation (and before licensure, back in the day when one could only take the licensure test on 3 days of the year.)

In many respects, it wasn't an ideal job, my boss was a racist, misogynist who only hired me because he had no male candidates to choose from. But, I learned a lot from it, even from the negative aspects I learned. I was a few hours away from both my momma & my SO, and I learned to be more independent. I learned that I really liked many aspects of hospital pharmacy (the vast majority of my tech experience had been in retail.) And I ended up really liking the middle of nowhere city I ended up in. And within 2 years, I had enough experience to be able to apply and get a job in one of the original places I wanted to. And the distance from my SO those 2 years, helped contribute to us breaking up, which in retrospect was a very good thing.

So, I guess I don't have a lot of sympathy for people who refuse to move under any circumstances. I know it was hard, but I did it, and not only did I live through it, I recognize now that it was a valuable learning experience and a great move. And, this is the real important thing, by moving and getting experience, I was able to move back to the first job that I initially wanted (which I eventually left anyway.) Now, would I have gotten that job if I had sat around unemployed for 2 years bemoaning my bad luck? No, I sure wouldn't have. Maybe I would have got it 15 or so years or unemployment later when the golden age of pharmacy hit and places started hiring anyone with a pulse. But what an incredible waste those 15 years would have been.

Don't let fear of moving or fear of doing a residency or fear of whatever hold you back. Short term sacrifices can lead to long term gain.

Reactions: 5 users