Renal application thread '08-09 version

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
SUNY Downstate@Brooklyn:thumbup:
Does anybody have any info about this program ?
Thank you NA

Members don't see this ad.

As the interview season comes to an end, it is a good time to share interview impressions. I guess I will start of with my interview impressions

Emory University

Have 5 spots (3-4--> 2 yrs clinical and rest 3 yr research). Very clinicaly heavy program with lots of learning oppurtunities. The fellows not only put in all the lines and do biopsies but also conduct renal ultrasounds. Lots of research oppurunities both basic and clinical. On an avg. fellows carry in between 20-25 patients. large transplant program, with an oppurtunity to stay as a transplant fellow. For the 5 spots interviewing around 50 candidates.
Overall, Plus points- Good and vast clinical exposure. Negative- ?workload

My IV experience there was not so good.
We came early in the morning and a short explanation about the program was given by the PD however I was unable to see PD because he had "other things to do" Spent the whole morning with 10 people in the same room talking to each other , saw assoc PD and 2 faculty 10 minutes each (everybody seemed to be in a rush).
No tour, no rounds or presentations during the day.
Fellows seem to be happy but is difficult to judge a program that was not even presented to you.
In terms of research there is a huge diabetic branch run by the chief, also there are protocols in genetics and kidney development but it seems fellows are not involved in that unless you want to spend one more year and as far as I know nobody has done it.
Most of patients speak spanish so if you do not handle it might be tougher.
Hope everybody post their experiences as is happening in other threads.
NA

Members don't see this ad :)
A good program overall. Good clinical exposure and optimum workload. However, it is a mandatory 3 year program with a year of research. It is in Rochester and it is like being in North Pole. The fellows were not doing as much procedures as Mayo has a team for each of them.

Have u guys started to work on ROL? How r u doing it. The decision is not easy and I am having really hard time ranking one above the other making some change almost every other day.

I am thinking like

1. UAB
2. Emory
3. Mayo, Rochester
4. U o Florida, Gainesville

An anyone please tell me about nephrology basic science research track?

1. What do the fellows exactly do?
2. What is the lifestyle like?
3. Are they eligilbe to seat for nephrology boards?
4. What is the hardest part in doing basic scince research track for someone with no previous experience?

Anybody with previous experience any inputs appreciated, with regards,
ZIZI

c

Last edited:
I got three in one day!!

1.) St. Johns Detroit
2.) Ohio State
3.) Allegheny General

Add that to Case Western and WVU.

So...my current tally is:

10 applications
5 interviews :D
1 rejection :thumbdown:

Best of luck to everyone!

Hey Atlas, How was your experience at st john? I interviewed there too, still trying to sort out where should I rank it , got other interviews from SLU and st rapheal CT and christiana care. what do you think?

Hey guys! As rank lists are finalizing, anyone care to share?

My top choices (and I welcome any comments/advice/impressions):
Brown
Boston U
Harbor-UCLA
UMaryland
George Washington

anyone else torn between yale vs bringham? anyone have an opinion about either of these programs? amazing research at both. better faculty support and much better salary at yale. better city with bringham and perhaps stronger reputation for whatever that is worth. opinions????

I wish you all the best to everyone including myself for the match!!!

I second that. Good luck to everyone and well wishes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you all folks
Matched at my first option
Finally a nephrologist.
NA

Matched at my second choice. Thank GOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Good job guys.

Can we hear from more peeps who either did or did not get in?

matched at my number one!!!

Comeon all my PEEPS. Why are you not posting where you guys have matched ?

Hi All.

Congratulations to those who matched.

I attended total 5 IVs.
No positive reply from any programs after my IVs.

Thank God. I matched at my first choice.:D

interviewed at 7, positive replies from ROL #3 and 4, but matched at #1

Applied last year with no luck...
Visited 13 programs in 12 different cities this time around
Had very Good feedback from my ROL #5 with a "guaranteed match" if I ranked them at the top. Got good feedback from #1 and #2 during interview but no additional feeback after that. I Matched at my #1 choice which is a clinical research track in a big west coast university program. I can't be any happier with the outcome after my match experience last year :).
Congratulations to all those that matched and best of luck to those who are still looking for positions in the scramble... I remember that experience as if was just yesterday

matched at my #1!!!

Good to hear that people are matching!!! This is certainly very good news.
Many of the research oriented fellowships did not fill their spots including Sinani, Brigham/MGH, WashU, Emory to name a few.
How does Brigham/MGH had so many 1st years spots...10!! thats a lot.

does that mean you do a masters in 3 yr track ? which is better to do - basic, translational or clinical ? Most programs are offering the first two. is there a reason why ?

does that mean you do a masters in 3 yr track ? which is better to do - basic, translational or clinical ? Most programs are offering the first two. is there a reason why ?

Some clinical research programs offer the option of getting an MPH or master in epi or any other dicipline. Basic research program you basically do bench research. I'm not sure if there is a difference between translational and clinical????

I am interested in clinical research track too, could you let me know what to look for in a program for clinical research when i apply for 3 yr research track. As many programs are prefering basic over clinical, should there be active clinical trials going on for the program to offer clinical track ? if you want to do MS Clinical research or clinical investigation, can basic or clinical person apply for it or is it restricted ?

Matched in Boston!!! Ecstatic!

Thank God Matched at 4th # ROL although was told to be among top 10 in my 1st # ROL. Any way still very happy.

guys need your advice.

Can the LOR of IM chairman replaces the Program Director's one? espically if you are out of your residency for couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.