ReneeWB at UNECOM - need info interview process and school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

roger2004

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

ReneeWB read your response to my 9/16/99 post regarding interviews at WVSOM and UNECOM. I'll be at UNECOM on 10/28 - very excited about the school. I have done the usual research on line and checked into the brochure offered by UNECOM but feel I need more info. What type of questions were you asked at your interview and how long did it take for them to offer you a seat. Do they give you time to ask questions about the school. I'm very interested in OMM/OMT and understand they're strong in that area. What is your experience. What do you think of the trimester calender - why would they choose that? Any talk about "problem based learning"? I hear about it but am not sure what it is. Is there any time for any activities outside of academics? What is the campus life like? - HOUSING? Do you find the faculty accessible? I'm at a small college now in a small town and it has its perks. How about staying at the Inn at Goose Rocks in Kennebunkport or at Motel 111, or Dallair's Motel in Biddeford? Thanks and sorry for going on and on - I psyched!

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Rog, I'm at UNE too (2002) and can answer some of your questions. UNE usually lets you know yes or no in a week-very civilized I thought. Questions asked-nothing to unique-but please know why you are applying to a DO school-since it sounds like your into OMT that should help! I'm not sure what the timester calendar your referring to is...My class had a month off for the summer but we don't call our schedule trimester (they are always refining the courses though so maybe...Lot of problem based learning-after the first 6 months or so...I don't have much free time but some students do-depends on your priorities. Most faculty are great- there are a few I'd replace if I was in charge but overall I'm pleased. Students support each other to an inspiring extent-either the Inn at Goose rocks or motel (plain) would work. I can't place Dallair's Motel.... Hope this helps, good luck
Catherine

Catherine - glad you saw my post Your information is helpful. I am already very impressed with what I've read about UNECOM and the area looks like it is beautfiful. I hope to have time to ride through the area a bit on 10/28 but with a 9 or more hour ride, I don't know if I'll have time. A few more questions if you have any time to answer - how is the school housing on campus if you know - and what about traveling to other states or great distances for rotations in the 3rd and 4th years? Is that the standard or is it more of an option. And very importantly, do you have an opportunity to work hands on with real patients in the first year, or does that come later on? In what course is this first real patient contact introduced? I've got many questions - also wondered if there is time during the interview to ask any questions? Any comments are welcome. Good Luck and thanks

------------------

rog

Members don't see this ad :)
Roger,

I am not a student at UNECOM; but I do wish to convey two things about the place. One, the campus and Maine in general are gorgeous! My wife and I vacationed in Kennebunkport and we visited the school to see if I would apply there. I ended up not applying to the school; but for personal reasons unrelated to the school itself.

Second, as a part of the KCOM Founder's Day celebration, Dr. F. Willard [Chair of anatomy @ UNECOM] was a guest lecturer. He was outstanding! Imagine someone having the capacity to be entertaining & educating? Dr. Uray [our anatomy guru] seems to also have this capacity. IMHO, this makes a very meticulous topic all the more interesting and easy to learn.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Old Man Dave at KCOM.
thanks for the info on Maine and UNECOM. It's always great too hear good things about faculty. By the way, what is IMHO? Good Luck at KCOM!

------------------

rog

Rog,

Sorry I haven't been to the board in a while. I am very happy at UNE. As far as interviewing goes, it was pretty straightforward and relaxed. The only tough question I was asked was after being asked why the school should pick me, they asked me why they shouldn't pick me. I found out in about three weeks that I was accepted. Usually it only takes a week, but I interviewed in January during a terrible ice storm which slowed mail and everything down.

I am also unsure of what is meant by trimesters. We started classes August 2nd and go until December 17th (I think). Then we pick back up on Jan 3rd or so and go till mid-May. It seems more like regular semesters to me. The only difference that I see is that we finish up Anatomy at the end of October and pick up Biochem and Immunology.

I don't have a lot of free time, but I am a commuting student on weekends. I go home to my husband and kids and so don't get much homework done on weekends. That means I have to play catch-up during the week. I have had a couple of Friday nights to go out with friends though. At this point in the semester a lot of us are pulling our hair out because the pace is pretty brutal. But there is an awful lot of comradery in the class which helps us all make it through.

I hope this has helped. I realize that I didn't answer all your questions. Good luck with your interview. Relax and know why you want to go to UNE. You'll do fine!

Renee

Renee, thank you for responding. I guess I misunderstood something I read about the semester calender at UNECOM - it sounds like a typical schedule to me also, which is good. You go home to your husband and kids on the weekends? God Bless You! And I thought I was busy! Good information about the interview and the response time which I do appreciate. I am really looking forward to meeting the people at school and seeing the school. Good luck to you

------------------

rog

Rog;

IMHO--->In My Honest Opinion

You are welcome for my insights...I'm always happy to help out!

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Old Man Dave,
thanks - I should have known that! As an aside, yesterday I got my first offer of a seat at WVSOM. It is the first interview I've had so far. UNECOM and NOVA coming up at the end of this month. I know I could do alright there l but want to leave my options open just in case UNECOM or NOVA come through as they were really higher up on my "wish list". They require a $2000 non refundable deposit it two weeks which means I will not have had my two other interviews yet. Money is a big consideration for me but of course so is being sure I have a seat for next fall. Any comments? It seems like a very HEFTY deposit request. Did you have the same experience when you applied?
All IMHO comments are appreciated!

------------------

rog

Rog,

One thing to consider. Check out the 1998 numbers for UNE at the USNews & World website. In 1998, they accepted 78% of those who got and interview. The number only dropped to 75% for out of state interviewees.

Here is the URL: http://www.usnews.com/usnews/edu/beyond/gradrank/med/gdmedt1.htm

------------------
Phillip
Class of 2004 (somewhere)
Happiness isn't having what you want, it is wanting what you have.