Repeat intern year and residency funding.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DJ-OBG

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To the short of it, I was at PGY-1 in a categorical residency and had to leave due to some family crises. I left about 8-9 months into my intern year. I understand GME funding is not available or at least limited for repeating years of categorical programs. Does this extend to my circumstance, as I did not complete my first year and only had a bit over half a year experience? I plan on applying this upcoming cycle and would very much like to obtain a position in the same specialty.

Members don't see this ad.

It's complicated, and it's simple.

Complicated: You matched into an OB GYN residency, which is 4 years long. Therefore, you have 4 full years of funding. You have used 8-9 months. If you start a shorter residency program (i.e. IM or FP etc) then there are no issues at all. Should you start a 4 year program, you will be short some funding.

Simple: Funding is usually not a major issue in resident selection. The amount of the funding reduction is very small. This is not something to worry about.

Reactions: 1 user
For the 4 years funding, is it a continuous flow? or if I don't have residency in 4 years, I'm sol?

For the 4 years funding, is it a continuous flow? or if I don't have residency in 4 years, I'm sol?
You get 4 years of money. They don't have to be consecutive.

And the difference between 3 and 4 years is insignificant, so don't let this dissuade you from doing a 4 year residency going forward.

Reactions: 1 user