Repeated Course

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Afford

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm filling out a secondary that asks if I have repeated any courses and explain. I also have a good feeling that someone will ask me about it during interviews. I pass/failed Organic Chemistry II and retook it for an A. Which is the best explanation? Also, would any interviewer ask what my original grade is?

1)Keep it short and to the point. My first grade wasn't that good and I didn't remove the pass/fail because I believed that I could do better.

2)Explain that I talked to my premed advisor and he said that there was no harm in keeping the pass/fail and retaking the course.

3) Explain that due to being an engineer and using AP credits for most of my prereq's, my BCPM GPA was only determined by 4-5 classes and I didn't want to be screened out due to my science GPA being too low when compared to my total GPA.

Members don't see this ad.

3 sounds like an excuse. Don't do that one. 1 seems to be the best because you are taking responsibility.

The obvious choice is #1 in my honest opinion. You re-took the class because you knew you could do better.. There is nothing wrong with that.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I like choice 1 the best. The only problem is if someone asks why I kept a Pass on the first class rather than uncover the grade. I can't really think of an answer other than protecting GPA. I'm thinking about just mentioning it briefly and moving on.

Yeah I like choice 1 the best. The only problem is if someone asks why I kept a Pass on the first class rather than uncover the grade. I can't really think of an answer other than protecting GPA. I'm thinking about just mentioning it briefly and moving on.

Was this a strenuous time in your life? If you could not handle the course load at the time or there was something that was distracting you from doing your absolute best in the class then that would be a valid response to such a question. If this was the case, you changed to P/F knowing that whatever grade you received was a false image of who you are as a student; hence why you retook the class at a better time with an improved mindset and earned yourself an A.