Repeating prerequisites in second degree

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pparisa

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have graduated with a bachelor of chemistry in last year and recently decided to study medicine. The first time I took prerequisites I failed them all and the second time I took them I got mostly C's. My cGPA is currently 2.2. There very personal family issues during my undergrad years that contributed to my failure.
So my questions are:
1.I am a Canadian resident and there are few schools that look at your best 2/3 years and require no prerequisites. Are there any schools in US that require no prerequisites and consider only your second bachelor's degree?

2. If I retake all those prerequisites again and obtain the psychology degree will medical schools ignore my first degree and prerequisites taken during my first degree?

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Both US and Canadian coursework will be considered in the final GPA (Canada is only considered a foreign institution for financial aid purposes, not AMCAS GPA calculation). Even if you got a 4.0 your total GPA would be 3.1. This is below the average matriculant GPA for both MD and DO schools.

And even then, a straight 4.0 may not be realistic given your past academic record. The more realistic combined GPA would be somewhere around 2.8 - 2.9. Assuming that you can reach that GPA, you will want to look at other threads that have applicants within this range to decide whether this is a realistic goal for you.

Here is one: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/career-change-low-gpa-what-to-do-i-need-help.798984/

Edit:

AACOMAS for osteopathic schools do honor retakes as grade replacement. It may be possible to retake EVERYTHING to boost your GPA. I would get confirmation from an ad com though.

Last edited:
AACOMAS for osteopathic schools do honor retakes as grade replacement. It may be possible to retake EVERYTHING to boost your GPA. I would get confirmation from an ad com though.
AACOMAS is the application service for osteopathic med schools that offer the DO degree. Their practice rights are the same as MDs, but in addition, they are trained in manual medicine techniques. It's their policy to use only the most recent grade when you retake a class, when calculating the application GPAs, provided the credits are the same or greater than before. Retakes need not be at the same school, or have an identical course title, provided the course descriptions in the catalog are substantially the same.

Reactions: 1 user