Repercussions for a professor reporting behavior, after already being accepted to med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Pre-meds in this thread and legal definitions/advice remind me of Ben Carson and vaccine/autism claims.

You are like... This is simple stuff that hasn't changed in forever, but you know nothing about it and I feel like you should. But why would you? You are a pre-med (or a Neurosurgeon).

I was responding more to the "world's gone mad" portion of the comment, but lol on the Carson point.

Members don't see this ad.

Know what assault and battery mean and the difference between them... especially since you will be working with a patient population, where consent is paramount and everyone has their finger on the lawsuit trigger.

Also, in my place of work, we have flyers with lists of things that are considered "workplace violence" and are reportable to HR. Cursing, yelling, and "flailing" are included. (By flailing, I assume they mean waving your arms threateningly, not flogging a coworker)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I guess sometimes admissions doesn't get it right.

I fully understand how immature this is, it's just gnawing at my ego.
You are not going to have a good time in med school, residency, and beyond if you feel the need to heavily defend your ego all the time. You're going to get crap thrown at you during your training, and you sure as hell don't want to be telling off your residents/attendings/patients/etc. Learn to smile and walk away, trying to satisfy your ego will make your career harder than it needs to be.

OP, whatever it is let it go. More pain in the butt stuff will come your way to be sure. Don't give someone that much power over you that you would actually "hate" the person. To me, hate is a very strong word, and letting the hate stay and grow and then projecting it toward others is totally unhealthy. You have bigger fish to fry. If you let it eat you to pieces, he's not the problem. You're probably downing TUMS while he's going on with his life having a good time--or at least thinks he is, while he's trying to compensate for his own misery. Leave him to it and be free.

So entirely way off topic, and I surely don't want to sound like I am contradicting mimelim, but fact check from CBS revealed this:

[At first, Carson responded by saying: "There have been numerous studies, and they have not demonstrated that there is any correlation between vaccinations and autism."

But his defense of vaccines grew a bit hazier as he went on: "Vaccines are very important. Certain ones. The ones that would prevent death or crippling. There are others, there are a multitude of vaccines which probably don't fit in that category, and there should be some discretion in those cases."

During the debate, Trump asserted that he is "totally in favor of vaccines" but said he wants "smaller doses over a longer period of time."

Carson seemed to agree with this. "It is true that we are probably giving way too many in too short a period of time," he said. "And a lot of pediatricians now recognize that, and, I think, are cutting down on the number and the proximity in which those are done, and I think that's appropriate."]

Not giving so many at once and being careful, especially if my kids had been sick, this is what I did just to error on the side of safety. And no. Parents have to sign consent for God's sake. I did not give my kids HPV as early as they wanted to give it. It was a risk I was willing to take at the time, given that they were young, and except for working nights and weekends, my husband and I were pretty much on top of who they were around. At the time, there had been some reports of seizures post HPV. I am friends with two parents on the seizure cases, which I personally know. One was a pediatric and highly experienced RN and the other was reputable anesthesiologist.

My kids definitely got everything within the schedules, it just meant more running for me--by splinting some of them up.

Menactra and boosters, YUP. They got. Not playing with that one.

Anyway, I am not sure what the original, supposed Carson sources were, but I think we should be careful about how the media can spin something or how other people can as well. We need to know exactly what someone has said in correct context.

To return to topic. OP get over it already. I'm willing to be your so called nemesis has. If not, hell, you both would benefit from a good therapist, b/c it's not worth it.

Last edited:
As a physician you're gonna meet a lot of people and statistically you will probably meet someone else you hate, will you conduct yourself in an unprofessional matter then? I mean what was the risk/reward if you chose to do it?

One person's opinion...hating PEOPLE is ridiculous. Behaviors are one thing. People are another.

I mean if you are going to risk your acceptance, might as well go all out.

You know what is profoundly satisfying to one's ego, and the best form of revenge by every measure? Success.

Move on. Go to med school. Do well. If whatever slight this person has done to you still bothers you enough that you can even recall it a few years from now, once you are well along your way to becoming an attending... then, reach out to them and tell them about themselves. Politely, professionally, inform them that their unhelpfulness did nothing to slow you down.

If you do feel the need to do that, I'd bet that the savor of that moment will far exceed any pleasure you might take out of a pre-mature telling off today. But I wager that you'll forget about it before the second month of classes. There are just too many things that are more worthy of your attention than pre-med grudges.

Reactions: 1 users
OP - go find out where he lives, send in 1000 paper airplanes that are printed with "F you", climb your neighbor's roof, and throw them in his backyard.

Afterwards - let me know how it turned out as he collects all those papers.

He said, she said.

EDIT: unless the person has their cell phone on and is recording you. You never know, right?

Isn't it illegal in most states to unilaterally record a conversation without notifying the other party?

OP - go find out where he lives, send in 1000 paper airplanes that are printed with "F you", climb your neighbor's roof, and throw them in his backyard.

Afterwards - let me know how it turned out as he collects all those papers.
I've decided against doing it. Instead, I'm thinking of doing something more along those lines, like sticking it all over the door of his office

Yup. Good plan. Try to make sure the security cams get a clear view of your face on the way in just to improve the quality of your next thread.

Yup. Good plan. Try to make sure the security cams get a clear view of your face on the way in just to improve the quality of your next thread.
No security cams, I've checked thoroughly. This is a really old building. I'll also be wearing a hoodie and other face obscuring stuff