"Replacing" C- grades in prerequisites with upper division and community college?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Coltsfan50

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I had a question about applying to allopathic and osteopathic medical schools. I had a pretty bad freshman year and ended up with C-'s for most of my Gen. Chem and Gen. Bio courses and one Gen. Physics course. I was just wondering if it was possible to retake that at a community college and have that replaced or instead just taking an upper division in the respective fields to help boost my academic profile, and applying to med school with that.

Members don't see this ad.

As I have looked into this too for a couple C+s I have, I read on here that unless you're applying to top medical schools, it shouldn't matter too much. Is it a financial reason or a "these classes will be easier there" reason? Either way, I would still take higher level courses at your university (if still enrolled) to show improvement.

Grace replacement does work, but only for DO.

Taking upper level class, however, can indeed be beneficial. But what is done is done, don't fret about it too much. Just do well in your remaining classes, and everything will be alright.

Grace replacement does work, but only for DO.

Taking upper level class, however, can indeed be beneficial. But what is done is done, don't fret about it too much. Just do well in your remaining classes, and everything will be alright.

Ya that was my problem, I'm in neuroscience but im planning to take anatomy and biochem to help with my biology and chem prereqs.