Replacing my PS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KingLear

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I reread my personal statement and parts of it sound incomplete. I submitted my ERAS on 9/4. I want to replace my original PS with an edited version. Is this a bad idea? Will programs that have already downloaded my application be confused by a revised personal statement?

Members don't see this ad.

If programs have printed your application, they will be able to see the old (printed) PS and your new PS. For programs that have not printed your PS, the new one will replace the old one and the old one is no longer available.

I'm also wondering about this. Although, I already did it, so hopefully it's ok..

Hey! Even if your application is not downloaded by programs, your all the previously assigned documents are still available to the program. They not gonna be replaced anyway. And it's upto the program, which one they would consider. I have already reassigned my PS after initial application, and programs have downloaded both PS. I called some programs and they told me that they would check the date of assignment and consider only the most recent one.
Hope this helps.

Hey! Even if your application is not downloaded by programs, your all the previously assigned documents are still available to the program. They not gonna be replaced anyway. And it's upto the program, which one they would consider. I have already reassigned my PS after initial application, and programs have downloaded both PS. I called some programs and they told me that they would check the date of assignment and consider only the most recent one.
Hope this helps.

That's not how it works. As APD said, the new document will replace the old document within ERAS. If I've already printed out an application and subsequently download a new PS, I have to print out the new PS and physically replace it in the review packet. To be honest, that may or may not happen--this time of year it's a struggle to keep up with applications, reviews, invitations, responses, and schedules. Replacing personal statements in already-prepared review packets just may not make it onto the high priority list. However, if you replace your PS before I print your application, the new version is the only version that's available. Unfortunately, there's no way for the applicant to know whether a program had already printed the original document.

If you are offered an interview, you could politely ask the coordinator to make sure the newer statement is the one in your application file when you contact him/her to schedule your visit.

That's not how it works. As APD said, the new document will replace the old document within ERAS. If I've already printed out an application and subsequently download a new PS, I have to print out the new PS and physically replace it in the review packet. To be honest, that may or may not happen--this time of year it's a struggle to keep up with applications, reviews, invitations, responses, and schedules. Replacing personal statements in already-prepared review packets just may not make it onto the high priority list. However, if you replace your PS before I print your application, the new version is the only version that's available. Unfortunately, there's no way for the applicant to know whether a program had already printed the original document.

If you are offered an interview, you could politely ask the coordinator to make sure the newer statement is the one in your application file when you contact him/her to schedule your visit.

Hi, mcl: I reassigned my new PS in very beginning before most of the programs began to download my application. And you know what when I checked my application status, all the programs downloaded my both PS at different period of time in the chronological order they were assigned to them. And I did confirm this matter with ERAS rep and some PC, and everybody told me that older ones are still available but PC will consider only newer ones. ERAS is like post office, once you have posted something, it has to be delivered!

Hi, mcl: I reassigned my new PS in very beginning before most of the programs began to download my application. And you know what when I checked my application status, all the programs downloaded my both PS at different period of time in the chronological order they were assigned to them. And I did confirm this matter with ERAS rep and some PC, and everybody told me that older ones are still available but PC will consider only newer ones. ERAS is like post office, once you have posted something, it has to be delivered!

The original was delivered and downloaded but only the most recent version is available from the document link on the ERAS Summary Page that we access when we log into the ERAS system, and only the most recent version would appear if I were to print the application of someone with an updated document (this applies to updated transcripts as well). The original document wasn't actually overwritten, so, yes, I could probably find the old version if I search the Program Director Work Station on our network server, but that's a rediculous amount of effort.

I just tested this on an application with a revised personal statement which I downloaded this morning. When I'm accessing his/her documents, the pulldown menu only lists one personal statement. The data line says "Personal Statement First Received: 9/9/2011 Updated: 9/30/2011 Revision: 1. So the ERAS person you spoke with was technically correct in that both versions were downloaded, but programs won't be able to pick and choose which one they see after downloading the revision.