Replying to what are my chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dvmcatdog

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!

I see a lot of what are my chances just get passed by. I've posted 3 times with no response and other people have as well. I'm not trying to be rude or anything but everyone tells us to post in what are my chance and when no one replies we post on a normal thread and get eaten alive. Every post should have at least one answer to their concerns. We're all just trying to get by here. Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, my initial reaction was to resent this sentiment:

Every post should have at least one answer to their concerns.

This makes it sound as if people are obligated to reply, just because you've posted there. Yes, there are many awesome veterinarians and vet students who take the time to answer our questions and give us advice and support. Yes, they are part of what makes SDN such a great resource and community. It can be frustrating to feel ignored, but to call out the entire community and say that you are entitled to an answer - that feels really strange to me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
It's a consolidated thread with a lot of traffic, and a lot of long posts with tons of info, so unfortunately some things are going to get lost along the way. It's still very much preferable to every single new poster cluttering the forums by creating threads just to ask the same question over and over (which is why people don't like when that happens). You just have to be patient, and continue reposting in that thread periodically until someone can reply.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, as I had looked at yours, there is sometimes nothing to say. It is decent, but nothing outstanding in any way( as in nothing horribly wrong or outstandingly unique). All the regular stuff is there, just a matter of how well you present yourself in PS. Is what it is.

I by no means meant to come off rude or meant to call out the entire community. I just imagine that we're all scared pre-vets and just need a little encouragement if we're scared about something. There is awesome people on this site that give wonderful info. I for one think this is an amazing community and it has helped me so much. I'm just sure I'm not the only one who feels discouraged about their app and just wants an outlet to see what other people truly think.

If it helps you feel better at all - I have never posted in that thread with my stats, and I got into vet school ;) I just compared my stats to what schools publish as their admitted class statistics or what have you, read through the accepted applicants stats threads around here, etc. I think that was probably more effective for helping me gauge how competitive I was than posting in the "what are your chances?" thread would have been.

Reactions: 8 users
Looking at the "successful applicants" thread can also be a good guide to compare yourself to.

Reactions: 1 users
I still think people focus too much on the stats side of it. Concentrate on making the application make you stand out in unique ways through your life experiences and personal assets. Present what makes you tick as a person and how that will add to the profession to stand out. :horns:

Reactions: 4 users
Also, the whole admissions process is kind of a crap shoot. What works one year, doesn't always work the next since you are compared to the current applicant pool and not previous years. So even if we think you look great based on what you said, it honestly means little in the whole process.

Reactions: 5 users
Also, the whole admissions process is kind of a crap shoot. What works one year, doesn't always work the next since you are compared to the current applicant pool and not previous years. So even if we think you look great based on what you said, it honestly means little in the whole process.
This, and also the fact that any advice given is based off our personal experiences and what may have worked for us when we applied, and also our opinions. We can say one thing, a school may want another. Two posters may give you conflicting advice. Don't depend so heavily on that thread that you get upset if you don't get a response, or don't get the response you want. We're not adcoms, we can only give you our humble opinions on things.

Edit: Also worth mentioning that you'll get better answers if you ask better questions. Looking at your post in that thread...it's all stuff we've discussed in depth in this forum before. The search function is very helpful. Like Lupin said, sometimes there's nothing worth discussing, especially since all of your concerns could have been answered by searching and reading.

Last edited:
90% of the replies are are 100% placebo effect... if you know what i mean.
someone posts looking for encouragement, someone else says you are fine, your stress goes away for a few minutes. Unfortunately, the underlying cause remains... the process is fraught with uncertainty, and until you apply and get a reply, nothing is going to cure you...

So some of us stop giving out placebos once in a while, cause although they certainly help to a degree, we know deep down it is meaningless.

Reactions: 6 users
I understand the desire for responses but you have to remember that people *volunteer* their time and may not respond.

Did you know the AAVMC gives access to prevet advisors? I picked up some info at a conference if anyone is interested.

I understand the desire for responses but you have to remember that people *volunteer* their time and may not respond.

Did you know the AAVMC gives access to prevet advisors? I picked up some info at a conference if anyone is interested.

I'd be interested! What are they for? As in, are they more for telling students who are just starting out what classes to take and give suggestions on finding experience, or do they help current applicants as well? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I just imagine that we're all scared pre-vets and just need a little encouragement if we're scared about something.

That's part of the mind game that is applying to vet school. Every year on the C/O 20whatever page and the VMCAS questions pages, there are people freaking out, complete with caps lock and frantic freak outs. And every year, the same group of people who have been here forever say the same exact thing over and over: calm down; the only thing you can do is improve your app; calm down; just focus on your current classes or work; calm down; enjoy your Christmas break since there's nothing you can do; calm down.

Everyone understands that applicants are lowkey (or high key) anxious about the process. But after a while, saying the same thing over and over has got to get annoying when a deep breath and some common sense or research can show what sort of chance you have. At the end of the day, only you can do anything about that anxiety whether it's going on a walk, playing videogames, reading, etc; what we say has limited benefit. Like SOV said, saying, "You're good," relieves the anxiety for a few days. But when it gets down to hitting submit, waiting for interviews/acceptances, seeing the acceptance/wait list/decline, starting the process all over, the individual is the one that has to figure out the coping strategies to deal with the anxiety/stress of applying.

Also, I know I'm just really limited in what advice I can give. Which is pretty much none right now. I only applied and attended to one school, and that one school has recently changed it's application process so really all I can tell anyone is: "You have a non-zero chance of getting into vet school this cycle".

Like SOV said, saying, "You're good," relieves the anxiety for a few days. But when it gets down to hitting submit, waiting for interviews/acceptances, seeing the acceptance/wait list/decline, starting the process all over, the individual is the one that has to figure out the coping strategies to deal with the anxiety/stress of applying.

And at some point, you get tired of suggesting people calm down only to get an angry "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S LIKE" or "That's easy for YOU to say, you've already finished the process!" or "Yes, but I'm under SPECIAL pressure that you couldn't imagine!" reply. Meh. Applicants that are going to be anxious are probably just going to be anxious and so I'm less and less inclined to try and help relieve that anxiety because only about 1 in 20 actually stop and say "Wait. Maybe these people know something. Maybe I should go have a drink and focus on doing the things I enjoy in life and just let the process be the process." So now I tend to reply to fact-finding questions and ignore the whole "OMG this process is so unfair and stressful" posts.

When I applied the first time I was super anxious. When I applied the second time I mostly forgot about the application once it was submitted. I mean, not in a "forgot I applied to vet school" way, but I definitely lost track of things - because I just kept myself busy doing normal life things. When I got my interview offer, I was surprised, because I forgot it was 'that time'.

I'd love to see more applicants be like LIS #2 instead of LIS #1, because life is way easier that way and it was dumb of me to be stressed out over a process I didn't control and couldn't change, but I don't really know how to help anyone get there. They just kinda need to get there all on their own.

Also, I know I'm just really limited in what advice I can give. Which is pretty much none right now. I only applied and attended to one school, and that one school has recently changed it's application process so really all I can tell anyone is: "You have a non-zero chance of getting into vet school this cycle".

False. You've been through the application process, survived school, and are now a practicing vet. There's a whole lot of valuable experience wrapped up in that.

And at some point, you get tired of suggesting people calm down only to get an angry "YOU JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT IT'S LIKE" or "That's easy for YOU to say, you've already finished the process!" or "Yes, but I'm under SPECIAL pressure that you couldn't imagine!" reply. Meh. Applicants that are going to be anxious are probably just going to be anxious and so I'm less and less inclined to try and help relieve that anxiety because only about 1 in 20 actually stop and say "Wait. Maybe these people know something. Maybe I should go have a drink and focus on doing the things I enjoy in life and just let the process be the process." So now I tend to reply to fact-finding questions and ignore the whole "OMG this process is so unfair and stressful" posts.

When I applied the first time I was super anxious. When I applied the second time I mostly forgot about the application once it was submitted. I mean, not in a "forgot I applied to vet school" way, but I definitely lost track of things - because I just kept myself busy doing normal life things. When I got my interview offer, I was surprised, because I forgot it was 'that time'.

I'd love to see more applicants be like LIS #2 instead of LIS #1, because life is way easier that way and it was dumb of me to be stressed out over a process I didn't control and couldn't change, but I don't really know how to help anyone get there. They just kinda need to get there all on their own.

Exactly this DVMD application cycle #3 was much more relaxed than DVMD application cycle #1..... should have relaxed back then too. Heck, I don't think I even started filling out application #3 until the month before it was due. I also disappeared from SDN between apps 2 and 3 which actually helped me to calm down because there wasn't the constant, "omg the waitlist thread was bumped, was it my school???? Ahhh"

Exactly this DVMD application cycle #3 was much more relaxed than DVMD application cycle #1..... should have relaxed back then too. Heck, I don't think I even started filling out application #3 until the month before it was due. I also disappeared from SDN between apps 2 and 3 which actually helped me to calm down because there wasn't the constant, "omg the waitlist thread was bumped, was it my school???? Ahhh"

I was thinking I'd disappear once I've submitted my application. This is app #1 for me, but as an anxious person to begin with, I think sticking around during the decisions/interviews process will kill me, lol.

I was thinking I'd disappear once I've submitted my application. This is app #1 for me, but as an anxious person to begin with, I think sticking around during the decisions/interviews process will kill me, lol.

What you SHOULD do is just move on with life. Keep gaining experience. Work. Be a student. Go out with friends. Whatever it is you normally do .... do in abundance.

Most people ignore that advice, though, and instead sit around getting anxious waiting to hear back. :)

Reactions: 5 users
The delightful thing about applying to a school that doesn't interview is that it's pretty much just a matter of sending your application into an abyss, following up with a transcript or two, and then waiting for a letter to pop back. I went abroad and barely thought about vet med at all for a couple months. Was pretty fabulous.

Didn't you just sign up for a WW game? I have bad news for you... :p

Reactions: 6 users
What you SHOULD do is just move on with life. Keep gaining experience. Work. Be a student. Go out with friends. Whatever it is you normally do .... do in abundance.

Most people ignore that advice, though, and instead sit around getting anxious waiting to hear back. :)

What are these "friends" you speak of....? :p

False. You've been through the application process, survived school, and are now a practicing vet. There's a whole lot of valuable experience wrapped up in that.
Yeah but most of my advice on that front consists of, "Hey vet school shouldn't envelope your whole existence and you should have hobbies and stuff." And no one ever listens to that.

Honestly, I learned a whole lot more by reading and reading and reading all sorts of threads on here than I ever did by posting in the "what are my chances?" thread. Admissions can be a crapshoot, but there are some standard things that make for a solid application, and you can figure out how to judge your own by reading about others and, more importantly, reading enough about the whole process to put what you see in context, so you're not panicking about your "horrible" 3.7 GPA and your "low" 4,000 hours in equine practice. I guess that's my polite way of saying "don't just look at the successful applicants thread - there's selection bias" and "listen to what people who have been through it before you have said."

This was probably the biggest help to pp9 #2, in addition to keeping very busy (I lucked out in what I happened to be doing that summer though). For my first cycle, I was so distraught over applications that I became the girl that refreshed her portals every minute during class and had SDN open at all times. The second cycle, I think I checked into SDN a few times a week or less. Way more relaxed, and I kind of forgot about everything until my interview invites came in.

Also, this is a highly individual thing, but I didn't make a big deal about applying the second time like I did the first time. It had nothing to do with the initial rejection, I just realized how stressful the never ending questions and update requests had gotten. I don't even remember if I ended up telling my parents, lol.

Those aren't nearly as entertaining as the posts that are bashing the schools the poster chose to apply to...

I do completely understand how hot-headed one can get during VMCAS season, so it's hard for someone to come back and just tell you to calm down. I'm all for general whining, we've all done it. Just don't take things personally, and don't bash schools because you didn't get in or because you hate the way they run the process.

Last edited:
I agree that subsequent applications are way less stressful than your first one. I also spent less time on SDN (though didn't disappear) on app 2 and 3. SDN has that double edge sword effect where the information can be very helpful, but it can also be too much of a good thing.

I also think my family/friends were more low key the 2nd and 3rd tries cause they realized how much of a process it was. They realized that I wasn't a shoe-in just because I wanted it badly enough. They actually were helping me think through perspective back up plans.

Very reminiscent of Dwight here lol

I hope someone knows what I'm referring to
I had Dwight and his red stapler and quote all over my profile for The Office WW if that gives you a clue about the level of geekdom.

This was probably the biggest help to pp9 #2, in addition to keeping very busy (I lucked out in what I happened to be doing that summer though). For my first cycle, I was so distraught over applications that I became the girl that refreshed her portals every minute during class and had SDN open at all times. The second cycle, I think I checked into SDN a few times a week or less. Way more relaxed, and I kind of forgot about everything until my interview invites came in.

Also, this is a highly individual thing, but I didn't make a big deal about applying the second time like I did the first time. It had nothing to do with the initial rejection, I just realized how stressful the never ending questions and update requests had gotten. I don't even remember if I ended up telling my parents, lol.

SDN is a wonderful resource so I don't want anyone thinking I'm suggesting disappearing, because I'm not. However, when all the applicants are super anxious and responding to one another that anxiety has a tendency to build up quickly. Come to SDN for the advice and the feeling of community but try to avoid getting caught up in the incessant thread checking/worrying. And if a regular poster at some point gives you a "hey chill the **** out", don't take it personally and act as if that person doesn't get it, they do and they're trying to help you by stating that.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought your profile pic from that game was of Milton from Office Space. Are my eyes just bad? lol
Nope, you are right. That's what I get for thinking and walking and typing at the same time. Fail.

Your profile pic is mesmerizing. It's hard to not watch.
giphy.gif

gif never work for me... lol