Report a college conduct violation from 18 years ago?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stolen_biscuit

MS3
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently working on my TMDSAS app and haven't yet gotten to AMCAS although I am sure the question will be similar.

It asks if you were EVER the recipient of any action by a college for conduct violation.

Is there is a statute of limitations on this?

I got caught writing in a wet sidewalk and couldn't remember what the outcome was, so I called my alma mater. The campus PD destroys old records, so they only have the date, case number, and with what I was charged (criminal mischief). I was told to contact the Student Responsibilities office to see if they have record of any disciplinary action...but they have no record at all as they keep nothing after 7 years. The receptionist told me not to put it down, but the statement does say EVER (not in the last 7 years). She told me if I wrote it down and they checked, all she could tell them was that they don't keep records that long and therefore has no proof.

Do I report it? All signs say no, but I don't want to look like I'm trying to hide anything. I have no problem mentioning it, but it sounds like no one cares or verifies after 18 years.

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't expect another answer but "be honest" from these forums. You know the risks involved, so it's up to you.

I wouldn't expect another answer but "be honest" from these forums. You know the risks involved, so it's up to you.

Let's see... If you lie and get caught... Then there is less competition for me...

What schools are you applying to?

Just kidding. Don't be stupid. If ADCOMs admit people with DUII and MJ violations, writing in wet cement is nothing. Fess up to it, tell how the charge changed your whole life, and how you will avoid all wet cement from now on...

Good luck with your application. I hope you succeed in landing a spot.

dsoz

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's see... If you lie and get caught... Then there is less competition for me...

Just kidding. Don't be stupid. If ADCOMs admit people with DUII and MJ violations, writing in wet cement is nothing. Fess up to it, tell how the charge changed your whole life, and how you will avoid all wet cement from now on...

:laugh:

I really don't mind admitting it. Wasn't planning to lie (or not to be honest). Just wasn't sure how to list something that I can't find on record anywhere...so I wasn't sure if that was something that should be listed at all. I'll just have to list the info I have (which is just the charge) and tell them that I don't remember if there was disciplinary action or what it was! I feel like maybe I paid a fine, but like I said, there is no record and that was literally half my lifetime ago (so memory is weak!).

Thank you both for answering - sounds like I will just put it on there in case!

:laugh:

I really don't mind admitting it. Wasn't planning to lie (or not to be honest). Just wasn't sure how to list something that I can't find on record anywhere...so I wasn't sure if that was something that should be listed at all. I'll just have to list the info I have (which is just the charge) and tell them that I don't remember if there was disciplinary action or what it was! I feel like maybe I paid a fine, but like I said, there is no record and that was literally half my lifetime ago (so memory is weak!).

Thank you both for answering - sounds like I will just put it on there in case!
Sounds good, I am sure the effect it has on your application will be exactly zero, certainly not worth the risk of being thought to have deliberately lied. List what you know, and go from there. :luck:

Sounds good, I am sure the effect it has on your application will be exactly zero, certainly not worth the risk of being thought to have deliberately lied. List what you know, and go from there. :luck:

Makes sense - thanks!

I agree, list what you know, it's the best you can do, and the school can't provide any info to say you're wrong... sooo, just do your best ;)