Reporting USMLE score from prior school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimBobDO

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a bit of an odd situation that I'm seeking advice about:

I am a non-traditional student at a U.S. Osteopathic school. Non-traditional in the sense that I previously attended an allopathic school while dealing with a chronic illness, got as far as Step 1, failed twice, and withdrew to deal with the health problem.

I then went on to have surgery which has put my illness in complete remission, got a M.S. in education, taught math for a few years, and then reapplied Osteopathic and was accepted. While a student at my current school I have made excellent grades, have numerous volunteer and leadership experiences, as well as research.

I am currently prepping for boards and my practice tests have been going great. I have no doubt that I will pass on my first try this time. I am currently registered to take both USMLE and COMLEX. My goal is to secure a very strong Psychiatry residency.

My question is: Am I wise to take both exams this go-around? I understand that if I apply ACGME (and those are the programs I am currently most interested in), I will have to disclose that I took the USMLE (whether or not I take it again). From what I understand, even if I answer yes to that question on ERAS, I don't have to disclose my past scores. If I do take the USMLE and report those scores, obviously the transcript will include my two past failures.

My questions:
1) Should I take the USMLE this time?
2) Should I report my past USMLE scores? (I know that I have to indicate that I took it.)
3) Will I be "filtered" from being even considered by some programs due to my past at another school, regardless of circumstances?

My current thought process is that retaking the USMLE this time and doing great will demonstrate that my past failures were a function of my health problems at the time and not indicative of my ability.

Thank you from any and all input, but especially from OMS-4's, residents/fellows, and attendings.

Members don't see this ad.

1) My general recommendation for DO students taking the USMLE is only take it if you will pass and do well (at or above the average score for your desired specialty, which for Psychiatry is ~220)
2) On ERAS, you choose to release your USMLE transcript (which includes ALL of your scores, including your most recent if you do decide to take it) for each individual ACGME program. I believe you do have to release it to at least one program though. If you do assign your COMLEX transcript, you must release your scores (as a DO you don't have to show your COMLEX scores to ACGME programs if you took the USMLE)
3) I don't know. Most likely if you don't release your USMLE transcript, a program will assume you did very poorly or failed (why else wouldn't you release?). So this will probably come up in your interviews anyway ("I notice you took the USMLE but didn't release your scores, why is that?") at which point you'll have to explain all of your past situation anyway.

My recommendation would be to take the USMLE and do well, release everything, and explain the situation in your personal statement and/or during interviews.

Only Caveat being Psychiatry is relatively DO-friendly so I don't know if you could get away with just acing the COMLEX and still matching into your desired program.

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much for your reply. I think you're probably right that my best bet is to go ahead and take USMLE, do well, and then hopefully get a chance to explain the two failures from 12 years ago.

My main concern is that I will get filtered or won't even get an opportunity TO explain what happened when they see the past fails. Some places may not even realize that those were old scores.