Repost: Chances of DO admission with a 3.35 overall 3.7-3.8 science gpa, 28 MCAT. Current RN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Intel1122

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all I posted this before, however I just want some ideas.
By the way, forgot to include "Current Registered Nurse," in the title. Sorry about that.

What are my chances of DO admission with a 3.35 overall gpa (upward trend, last 120 credits: 3.6 gpa), 3.75 science gpa, assume a 28 mcat, Current Registered Nurse functioning in the Community performing primary health interventions, delivering educational workshops, doing research based on those interventions.

I am currently a double major in BSN Nursing and Biological Sciences (I already have an AAS in Nursing).

I only have 1 red flag (academic probation due to poor grades and a dismissal from the preprofessional phase of a PA program 4 years ago in 2010 due to poor grades). But I retook those classes that Caused my dismissal and did good.

Anyway, I have over 160 hrs (could be over 300 by the time I apply for DO) of miscellaneous volunteering (health centers, homeless shelters, food projects, etc) with NY Cares (Getting the Bronze award for completing over 70 projects), over 60 hrs (could be over 200 by the time I apply for DO) of shadowing 2 physicians (1 DO 1 MD: in 5 specialties: Physical med/rehab, Sleep medicine, pulmonary medicine, medical weight loss, internal medicine, stem cell medicine, etc), The DO will give me an amazing recommendation Over 150 hrs of volunteering in a hospital, over 100 hrs of functioning as an RN (will be over 300 by the time I apply for DO school), I also do on the side volunteering with the American Diabetes Association, delivering educational presentations, etc as a Registered Nurse, not a regular volunteer. I also participated in an Emerging Scholars project: only open to students with above a 3.4 overall college gpa conducting a nursing research project on Social disparities among african americans and cardiovascular health.

Any decent chance if I apply to every DO school?
Thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
@user3 was kind enough to post a list in these forums somewhere with the avg stats for each DO school.

Take my word for it, you'd handily get an II from my school, and many more.

Time to work on the self-esteem!
I don't know, I feel I do not. I read the common overall gpa is a 3.4 - 3.5... I feel I won't get in :(.

Reactions: 1 user
@user3 was kind enough to post a list in these forums somewhere with the avg stats for each DO school.

Take my word for it, you'd handily get an II from my school, and many more.

Time to work on the self-esteem!
Ok I will work on the self esteem.

Its just that the average gpas are a 3.4-3.5 for DO. The average science is a 3.3 - 3.4... Idk. I just feel my 3.35 overall will hold me back sorry If I seem pessimistic. I just don't know.

Everyone says I will be "okay and stop freakin worrying."
But please tell me. If I apply to every DO school witha 3.35 overall, 3.7-3.8 science gpa, 28+ mcat and my Extracurric. Asides from interviews, do you think I will get in?

The effective floor for competitive candidates varies from school to school, but there's a much wider range of acceptability for DO candidates than for MD.
So YES, you have very good chances of getting in!!!!

Ok I will work on the self esteem.

Its just that the average gpas are a 3.4-3.5 for DO. The average science is a 3.3 - 3.4... Idk. I just feel my 3.35 overall will hold me back sorry If I seem pessimistic. I just don't know.

Everyone says I will be "okay and stop freakin worrying."
But please tell me. If I apply to every DO school witha 3.35 overall, 3.7-3.8 science gpa, 28+ mcat and my Extracurric. Asides from interviews, do you think I will get in?

The effective floor for competitive candidates varies from school to school, but there's a much wider range of acceptability for DO candidates than for MD.
So YES, you have very good chances of getting in!!!!
Also what about my red flag. the dismissal from the preprofessional BS in PA in 2010.

But you think a top science gpa 3.7-3.8 and a good mcat will offset a 3.35 overall?
Also which is more important, overall or science gpa?

I'd had a number of students with the same history. I think that you've shown that the you of now is not the you of then.

Also what about my red flag. the dismissal from the preprofessional BS in PA in 2010.

But you think a top science gpa 3.7-3.8 and a good mcat will offset a 3.35 overall?
Also which is more important, overall or science gpa?

I'd had a number of students with the same history. I think that you've shown that the you of now is not the you of then.
I think so too... my recent degree gpa is a 3.5. And I really am trying hard lol.

But wait.. what you mean you had a number of students? Are you a DO/a professor/ on admissions?

I don't know, I feel I do not. I read the common overall gpa is a 3.4 - 3.5... I feel I won't get in :(.

3.4-3.5 is a good cGPA to apply with, but you've also got a really nice sGPA. It is something that would help you. 28 on the MCAT is good to apply with. It is something that will help you

I think you should apply broadly and I would be surprised if you didn't get interviewed

OP you will do just fine

Members don't see this ad :)
OP you will do just fine
again just nervous about the 3.35 overall (< than the averages I read for COM admission which are 3.4 -3.5s)
and my previous dismissal from a preprofessional PA program /BS PA in 2010 due to poor grades, but my grades improved then.

I just can't believe I have a chance. I totally f-ed up before. I can't believe I have a chance. It was my dream to become a doc.

Faculty member at a COM with >10 years experience as an Adcom.
So.. I guess you and 20 other people are correct they they say "Stop freakin worrying so much " right. And that I will be okay, just do good on the mcat.

I just want to know I won't be totally have my application thrown out with a 3.35 overall. I just hate having low anything, I feel its a blemish on my record.

Hi all I posted this before, however I just want some ideas.
By the way, forgot to include "Current Registered Nurse," in the title. Sorry about that.

What are my chances of DO admission with a 3.35 overall gpa (upward trend, last 120 credits: 3.6 gpa), 3.75 science gpa, assume a 28 mcat, Current Registered Nurse functioning in the Community performing primary health interventions, delivering educational workshops, doing research based on those interventions.

I am currently a double major in BSN Nursing and Biological Sciences (I already have an AAS in Nursing).

I only have 1 red flag (academic probation due to poor grades and a dismissal from the preprofessional phase of a PA program 4 years ago in 2010 due to poor grades). But I retook those classes that Caused my dismissal and did good.

Anyway, I have over 160 hrs (could be over 300 by the time I apply for DO) of miscellaneous volunteering (health centers, homeless shelters, food projects, etc) with NY Cares (Getting the Bronze award for completing over 70 projects), over 60 hrs (could be over 200 by the time I apply for DO) of shadowing 2 physicians (1 DO 1 MD: in 5 specialties: Physical med/rehab, Sleep medicine, pulmonary medicine, medical weight loss, internal medicine, stem cell medicine, etc), The DO will give me an amazing recommendation Over 150 hrs of volunteering in a hospital, over 100 hrs of functioning as an RN (will be over 300 by the time I apply for DO school), I also do on the side volunteering with the American Diabetes Association, delivering educational presentations, etc as a Registered Nurse, not a regular volunteer. I also participated in an Emerging Scholars project: only open to students with above a 3.4 overall college gpa conducting a nursing research project on Social disparities among african americans and cardiovascular health.

Any decent chance if I apply to every DO school?
Thanks...
You definitely have a shot at some DO schools, but not all. Many say they want a minimum if 24-26 MCAT, but they are really looking for 30 average. Still, with your ECs, you will definitely get an interview at some. If you have the means, apply to all. It really can't hurt! The GPA is a bit low, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Many schools love to see improvement and an upward swing and actually see that as a positive instead of cookie cutter ECs/good grades. It shows you've gone through hard times and overcame them. Good luck!

You definitely have a shot at some DO schools, but not all. Many say they want a minimum if 24-26 MCAT, but they are really looking for 30 average. Still, with your ECs, you will definitely get an interview at some. If you have the means, apply to all. It really can't hurt! The GPA is a bit low, but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Many schools love to see improvement and an upward swing and actually see that as a positive instead of cookie cutter ECs/good grades. It shows you've gone through hard times and overcame them. Good luck!
I have low grades for DO? A lot of people told me the 3.35 isn't low. In fact, if I have a good mcat it won't matter. Especially with my 3.7-3.8 science gpa.
Its just that like 10+ people that I will get in. Especially with above a 28 mcat.

btw GORO who is a faculty member at an Osteopathic med school, not just a recent matriculant.. said My grades are fine and I have "Excellent/great chances." Plus some other people here. What do you say to that?

You should be fine at any school you apply to. You're well within range.

I have low grades for DO? A lot of people told me the 3.35 isn't low. In fact, if I have a good mcat it won't matter. Especially with my 3.7-3.8 science gpa.
Its just that like 10+ people that I will get in. Especially with above a 28 mcat.
I said low for SOME (not all) DO schools, yes. But with your decent science GPA and MCAT, you should be fine at a good number of them. I was supporting you in my post. You wanted honest opinions and I gave you mine. I said you had a great shot of getting in. Not sure what else you are looking for :p

I said low for SOME (not all) DO schools, yes. But with your decent science GPA and MCAT, you should be fine at a good number of them. I was supporting you in my post. You wanted honest opinions and I gave you mine. I said you had a great shot of getting in. Not sure what else you are looking for :p
But you think I have a great shot at most though right? lol. :)

But you think I have a great shot at most though right? lol. :)
Quite a few, yes, but it's rather late to start your app now. Not sure if you've already applied or what.

Quite a few, yes, but it's rather late to start your app now. Not sure if you've already applied or what.
Im not looking for this year. Next 1 - 2 years i will.
lol.

Haha. Any other suggestions for me.