reproductive path q

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MudPhud20XX

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
A 56 yr old woman has had marked abdominal enlargement over the past year. On physical examination the abdomen is distended but not painful to palpation. An abdominal CT scan shows a large 12 cm diameter mass that is multioculated that fills most of the pelvis. There is marked fluid accumulation within the peritoneal cavity. Which of the following ovarian neoplasm is she most likely to have?

A. Brenner tumor
B. Dysgerminoma
C. Endometrioid carcinoma
D. Mature cystic teratoma
E. Mucinous cystadenoma
F. Serous cystadenocarcinoma

So I chose F b/c of the "fluid" accumulation. But the answer is E. The solution says "mucinous tumors tend to be multilocular." So my question is why is that the case? Also, is there any thing else I am missing here? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Just started neoplasms in school, but my first thought was mucinous cystadenoma. The vignette reminded me of pseudomyxoma peritonei (most often due to carcinoma of the appendix). Don't know if that helps though now that I think about it. :(

Edit: Maybe it's because the cystadenocarcinomas (versus cystadenoma) are malignant so you would expect to see multiple growths on CT.

Last edited:
Just started neoplasms in school, but my first thought was mucinous cystadenoma. The vignette reminded me of pseudomyxoma peritonei (most often due to carcinoma of the appendix). Also the serous cystadenomas are unilocular.
yeah good point.
Pseudomyxoma peritonei–intraperitoneal accumulation of mucinous material from ovarian or
appendiceal tumor --> definitely mucionus cystadenoma

Isn't this Meigs Syndrome, since it's ovarian in origin? Appendiceal, would indicate Pseudomyxoma peritonei. Or, are Meigs and Peseudomyoma peritonei interchangeable?

Isn't this Meigs Syndrome, since it's ovarian in origin? Appendiceal, would indicate Pseudomyxoma peritonei. Or, are Meigs and Peseudomyoma peritonei interchangeable?
Those two I don't think are interchangeable. Meig is associated with Fibromas, whereas Pseudomyxoma peritonei is associated with mucinous cystadenoma/cystadenocarcinoma.

Reactions: 1 user