Required classes for 2016 matriculants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SweetCaroline7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. Long time lurker, first time poster here.

Is there an official set of new requirements for 2016 matriculants? I know the 2015 MCAT includes new subject-matter, but I plan to take the current version (either in September or on one of the dates in January that use the current MCAT). I've looked at some school-specific projections for 2016, but I don't see an official list from AAMC like they have here: https://www.aamc.org/students/applying/requirements/#.UtMSP2RDsbE

My search seems to suggest a semester each of biochem, psychology, and sociology are going to be required. Just wondering if anyone has more information or if it's really going to be up to each school.

Members don't see this ad.

It's really going to be up to each school, just like it is now. You can find a wide range of requirements at MD schools, which is one of the good reasons to get and study the MSAR, and also study the admissions websites for your target schools. You'll see biochem, stats, anatomy, physio, foreign language etc listed as requirements as you review each school. Some schools have no requirements at all.

Requirements tend to change slowly with lots and lots of notice, but you need to pay attention to each med school and not to AAMC to see them coming.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response DrMidLife. I definitely plan to get the MSAR. I'm at the point where I just want to plan ahead--working full time doesn't leave a lot of room for additional classes (I have all the currently required classes), and I'm trying to make a basic plan of attack for the classes I will need to add.

I wonder if an Intro to Anthro class would count as Sociology. Not much evidence to go by, as most schools don't have much out there about 2016, but I'll take opinions :)

Members don't see this ad :)
If the class prefix is the same as the school's Intro to Sociology (for us SYG) then I'd say it'd be ok. Just my opinion though. :/

I nkow this is an older thread by now but I'm bumping it rather than starting a newer similar thread.
I notice that a year of English is listed on the requirements- I never took college English because I had AP credits from high school and I have one semester left. Should I take an English class next semester/ over the summer, or should I concentrate on 1) finishing my degree, and 2)science and math courses?

I nkow this is an older thread by now but I'm bumping it rather than starting a newer similar thread.
I notice that a year of English is listed on the requirements- I never took college English because I had AP credits from high school and I have one semester left. Should I take an English class next semester/ over the summer, or should I concentrate on 1) finishing my degree, and 2)science and math courses?

@doctorjunior I would advise finishing your degree and courses. If you look at websites of specific schools they often have notes about how they deal with AP classes for pre-reqs. For example one of my schools says this about AP credits (note this school does not have an English class requirement, rather it has a requirement that you take a class that is writing intensive) but you'll get the idea.

"Requirements cannot be fulfilled by AP credits. If you received AP credit for courses such as general chemistry or biology, you’ll still need 1 semester of chemistry and biology with labs. This can be an advanced chemistry, organic chemistry, or any advanced biology course. Do not re-take coursework for which you already received AP credits"

If the school doesn't specify how they deal with AP credits, it's fine to call or email and ask them. I'd avoid taking it unless you really need to.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
@wholeheartedly thank you so much! I was really hoping to not have to take an English course so I could concentrate more on my major and maybe a math or science course to help with a post bacc program.