required procedures in residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aphids

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Sorry if this is somewhere obvious online - I haven't been successful in googling. What (if any) are the requirements for procedures during psych residency? Or does this vary from program to program?

Members don't see this ad.

There are no procedural logs in psych and no requirement that one have a certain number of procedures. One does have to keep patient logs. The only thing close to procedures would be ECT and psychotherapy. For psychotherapy one has to demonstrate competency in the three major categories. How programs go about documenting this vary. One also has to demonstrate a knowledge of ECT, though how this is defined also varies by residency program.

Thankfully, I don’t think we have formal procedure log requirements except maybe handovers and clinical skills assessments. We do have to show a diversity of patient diagnoses seen by residents and this is most often in the form of patient logs. A lot of RRCs require procedures to be logged in the ADS on the ACGME web site, but most of these are surgical specialties. We could be required to show ability to do some scales like the Ham-D, MADRIS, mini mental status, but so far no.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm, we had to keep a procedure log. The only physical type of procedure was ECT. Other procedures really including competency with various treatments, including types of psychotherapy, dealing Axis III stuff, etc. I guess that could also be captured by a patient log.

Thanks, all!
I was worried about central lines, intubations, and the like. Psychotherapy is right up my alley, but procedural skills? Not so much... you should see me try to place an IV.

LP's are on option when rotating on the neuro service, and I would encourage you to take advantage of this but usually you can palm this off on a neuro resident if you really don't want to learn this procedure.

At most, you might need to do some procedures during your internship Neuro/IM rotations, but psych residents are generally not expected to do intubations, central lines, etc. after internship.
As a psych intern, a patient on our team needed a paracentesis, so they offered to let me do it. I didn't even pretend to be interested :) (however, I had a very chill team that month who totally understood - I wouldn't recommend taking that approach with just anyone).