Required reading is big Robbins....Anyway around/anyway to supplement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Would you guys recommend just going through the pathoma textbook outline before going to class? I don't want to sit through 35 hours of pathoma videos.
After a lot of research and advice from other students, watching all of pathoma (35 hours is not much when spread out) alongside of class is VERY worth it.

Members don't see this ad.

So you're saying email him asking for the questions? Or should I just wait for him to send them to the class? I don't know if he will do that.
I'm saying send an email asking if the GRIPE questions are on his website. There is a also a link to the Kansas City school of medicine - he may have them on their for the medical students.

I actually have them all on my home computer but doubt the files would go over email.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're saying email him asking for the questions? Or should I just wait for him to send them to the class? I don't know if he will do that.
So I think i found them. Go to his site, choose old pathology exams. The first section of each exam says the questions are from GRIPE.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Didn't expect this thread to get as big as it did.

1)Definitely going to look into Pathoma. It's probably worth the purchase, but does anyone have the file and mind sharing.......
2)Friedlander is all over the place with his website. It's crazy how smart that guy is. It's a shame that he isn't staying here.

Would you guys recommend just going through the pathoma textbook outline before going to class? I don't want to sit through 35 hours of pathoma videos.

The videos are the valuable part. I actually use the Rapid Review outline while I watch Pathoma. I don't use the book except as a glorified table of contents. You can play them at 1.4x, 1.7x, and 2x if you're in a hurry. They're succinct enough and completely worth the time. Plus, this is 35 hours spread over all the Pathology that is covered in Step 1. If you're following along with a class, you should be fine.

wow we are literally lost on how to study to the point that we've got our own SDN thread lol

if anyone cares its KCU we're talking about

Reactions: 1 user
wow we are literally lost on how to study to the point that we've got our own SDN thread lol

if anyone cares its KCU we're talking about

The real question is if anyone is studying? I feel like everyone busy asking what others are doing or on SDN trying to figure it out...

Don't be fooled people are studying! It's our class we are talking about. All the complaints all the time and then..boom! 90% avg!

what do you think of BRS? Do you think it provided all of the answers for the quiz last Friday?

BRS is great for the lecture information Dr F gave, and summarizing Robbins. But that quiz was his cases, not the book or lecture slide material....IMO.

Members don't see this ad :)
The real question is if anyone is studying? I feel like everyone busy asking what others are doing or on SDN trying to figure it out...

Yes.

For every minute you spend on sdn looking for ways to shortcut learning the information, you lose one minute that you should have spent just learning the information.

Big Robbins is awesome. IF you have any free time, then you should read it. Your 260+ awaits.

Reactions: 2 users
is there actually a correlation between reading big robbins and scoring well on boards?

Can someone tell me what's wrong with just reading pathoma and watching the videos?

Can someone tell me what's wrong with just reading pathoma and watching the videos?

nothing at all. watching pathoma as much as possible is the most important thing you can do for your board score.

Reactions: 1 users
Because for our class, the level of detail and minutia is absent from Pathoma. You need to memorize every little factoid and table.

Do NOT read Big Robbins. I did. Wasted a lot of time doing so. Pathoma, lecture slides/notes, should do the trick. I also had little robbins. Thought that was ok but not necessary.

As far as boards go... if you have Pathoma down cold... you're gonna kill it. TAKE HOME: Big Robbins will likely be a big paper weight, and clog your bookshelf.

You need to memorize every little factoid and table.
Which is ok for class but not very high yield in the grand scheme of things. Sure, your class grades will be better, but they mean next to nothing.

It's better to learn the material well, hold off on minutiae to fill those gaps last minute... but really focus on the high yield material, i.e. PATHOMA which is golden if used correctly. I wish someone told me this...

Do NOT read Big Robbins. I did. Wasted a lot of time doing so. Pathoma, lecture slides/notes, should do the trick. I also had little robbins. Thought that was ok but not necessary.

As far as boards go... if you have Pathoma down cold... you're gonna kill it. TAKE HOME: Big Robbins will likely be a big paper weight, and clog your bookshelf.
We have to read Big Robbins. There's really no way around it. Pathoma is a good supplement however.

Play to the professor -- unless he's gotten soft, Putthoff will own you if you haven't done your work in Robbins and just wait until you get to the Micro section of MOD -- It's like riding a bike....but the bike's on fire...and you're on fire....because you're in hell......

Play to the professor -- unless he's gotten soft, Putthoff will own you if you haven't done your work in Robbins and just wait until you get to the Micro section of MOD -- It's like riding a bike....but the bike's on fire...and you're on fire....because you're in hell......
This image in my head is indescribable, probably has to do with hit my head against every page in robbins... 2 more days to go! ... until micro....

Tell me more about Putthoff micro...

Let's just say the exam that covered micro during MOD at TCOM tanked more students and had one of the most generous curves applied to keep the class average at 82 than most other exams....and people still failed it....including those who had undergrad micro.....

This one is not the one to screw around on...there should be a few more quizzes and at least 1 more exam after the micro to help people recover....

But remember that hundreds of students before you survived and are now working happily in their chosen field of medicine....you can do this....

Look at it this way--Either do it or face paying off your student loan debt working in whatever career you can find...or get recycled through first year, face MOD again with another years worth of debt with the prospect of having to pay it off at minimum wage.....that's the reality....but you've got this....seriously....

We were forced to read the full Robbins twice and some chapters 3 times. Hated every second of it btw. It was extremely useful for understanding but most of my memorizing came from the pocket book, Pathoma, and the supplemental question book. Learn it now and know it for later wile on rounds. Bullet points only make you look like an idiot when an attending is asking you what the disease process is in years 3 and 4. I know you'll think that it is impossible but trust me that it's doable. You are studying to be a physician, not studying to do as little as possible and eek by on tests. Your future pt's will thank you for taking the time to learn what you are supposed to.

We were forced to read the full Robbins twice and some chapters 3 times. Hated every second of it btw. It was extremely useful for understanding but most of my memorizing came from the pocket book, Pathoma, and the supplemental question book. Learn it now and know it for later wile on rounds. Bullet points only make you look like an idiot when an attending is asking you what the disease process is in years 3 and 4. I know you'll think that it is impossible but trust me that it's doable. You are studying to be a physician, not studying to do as little as possible and eek by on tests. Your future pt's will thank you for taking the time to learn what you are supposed to.

this has happened exactly zero times in the history of medical school. Unless you are doing a path elective, no attending will care that macrophages are attracted by IL-8 48-72 hours after an AMI.

pathophysiology is pimped on way more on the floors than actual pathology.

this has happened exactly zero times in the history of medical school.
Wow, I should clearly consult you next time I need to know what my attending's are going to ask us at rounds.
The point of the post, which you clearly missed, was the OP should want to know as much as possible in order to be a knowledgeable physician. Not one that shrugs their shoulders when a pt asks what is happening with their particular illness. But then again, maybe he should just contact you as you know what was has ever been asked in the history of med school :wtf:

Wow, I should clearly consult you next time I need to know what my attending's are going to ask us at rounds.
The point of the post, which you clearly missed, was the OP should want to know as much as possible in order to be a knowledgeable physician. Not one that shrugs their shoulders when a pt asks what is happening with their particular illness. But then again, maybe he should just contact you as you know what was has ever been asked in the history of med school :wtf:

while you're scouring big robbins for useless trivia, actual physicians treating actual patients will be reading on the latest trial therapies. Reading big robbins does nothing for patient care unless you intend to be a pathologist. For most other specialties, big robbins is fill of useless trivia that makes you go hmmm that's kinda cool. It's akin to knowing that Ty Cobb was a drunken racist who set 90 MLB records and then claiming that knowledge is critical to understanding modern baseball.

When you're in the thick of M1/M2, everything looks like it'll be important for patient care. When you get to the floors, you realize that most of what you learned in M1/M2 was filler in order to stratify students on Step 1/COMLEX 1.

this has happened exactly zero times in the history of medical school. Unless you are doing a path elective, no attending will care that macrophages are attracted by IL-8 48-72 hours after an AMI.

pathophysiology is pimped on way more on the floors than actual pathology.

Again, useless trivia here -- I once impressed the hell out of an IM attending by knowing the histopathologic appearance of the aorta that is seen with syphilis -- when I pulled "tree bark" out of my anal orifice, he marveled and actually commented," You pulled that one out of your a*&" -- impressed the PGY2 also -- Did it make one bit of difference in patient care? No. I used to joke that pathologists see their patients in bits and pieces and have actually had one pathologist state in front of class that they didn't know what all the clinic signs meant, they were just trying to make the path case more clinical.....

Ah, well --- while it's cool to think that you'll be doing things like House M.D., most likely you'll be treating CHF exac, asthma exac and people who don't take their meds way, way more than you'll be diagnosing some bizarre point known only in a path book --- but you've got to graduate first and passing path is a part of that ---

And the other poster has a point -- you're training to be a physician, not an NP or a PA -- this is what it takes so get it done. You can be selective about what you remember AFTER you're board certified and seeing patients....

And the other poster has a point -- you're training to be a physician, not an NP or a PA -- this is what it takes so get it done. You can be selective about what you remember AFTER you're board certified and seeing patients....

ya, but reading big robbins is a bad way to get that information. pathoma/review books will get you 90% of the information that will be on the boards and not weigh as much as a spare time.

When I read pathoma, I feel guilty, like it should be way harder. Pathology is extremely hard (so I hear) but when I read pathoma, it's just not that bad. I really like the way the guy puts things. And his vids are even better

Thanks for all the advice, guys! Didn't expect this thread to get as big as it did.

1)Definitely going to look into Pathoma. It's probably worth the purchase, but does anyone have the file and mind sharing.......
2)Friedlander is all over the place with his website. It's crazy how smart that guy is. It's a shame that he isn't staying here.

Hey @apr27 and @HotLunch how are you guys finding it to read the full book and second year in general? Does second year seem a lot harder than first year or is it about the same? I might also have to read Big Robbins..hoping it doesnt make 2nd year harder

Hey @apr27 and @HotLunch how are you guys finding it to read the full book and second year in general? Does second year seem a lot harder than first year or is it about the same? I might also have to read Big Robbins..hoping it doesnt make 2nd year harder

They're first years.

We have pathology during first year.

We're first years, but it's not bad honestly. The issue was that I took some time off after the preceding section and ultimately decided that I didn't have to read the book. As it turned out, we had to, so I was scrambling to read. If I started earlier and rationed out the reading it would have been very manageable. We still have to read Robbins, but the reading will not be as long. The professor told me that this past section probably had the most reading we will ever do and the sections will be shorter, but the questions will be more focused.