Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

justin_od

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anybody know a free source for medical school requirements.........it sucks that we have to spend another 25 bucks for the book.

Members don't see this ad.

Princeton (not affiliated with Princeton university :D ) Review Medical schools book

Funny, but I don't think that Princeton Review book is free (though it is useful). Most school's websites have the info. It's pretty similar from one school to another:

1 year bio
2 years chem
1 year physics
1 year math
1 year english

There are sometimes little differences such as a humanities requirement or a psych requirement, but those are the basics. Sometimes the math must include a certain amount of calculus, somtimes a semester of biochem can be substituted for a semester of o-chem. If your major is outside the sciences it's a good idea to take some upper-division science too. I think that pretty much covers it, but make sure to check out the websites for the schools that you want to apply to. There are slight variations.

Members don't see this ad :)
That list of requirements is generally accurate, but there is one notable addendum to be made:

The Texas schools require 2 years of biology instead of just 1. Other than that I think their requirements are about the same.

Check with a pre-med advisor at your school. They should have all that information and I'm sure they'd be more than happy to share it with you (for free).