reschedule mcat...will July 26 vs. July 14 make a huge difference

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

riseNshine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys...I have a 3.6 science, 3.7 overall gpa from a top UC...I have a 28 MCAT so I'm wondering if it will be worth it to really work on raising that MCAT and taking the July 26 date versus taking it July 16th.

I'm really busy until mid-June so the July 16th would give me a month to prepare, but I would have 2 extra weeks if I take the July 26 date. Do you guys think the extra two weeks will be worth being later in the app cycle?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys...I have a 3.6 science, 3.7 overall gpa from a top UC...I have a 28 MCAT so I'm wondering if it will be worth it to really work on raising that MCAT and taking the July 26 date versus taking it July 16th.

I'm really busy until mid-June so the July 16th would give me a month to prepare, but I would have 2 extra weeks if I take the July 26 date. Do you guys think the extra two weeks will be worth being later in the app cycle?

Thanks

Both dates are going to put your scores out mid/late August, and that is VERY late in the cycle regardless. With your stats, I would highly recommend taking the MCAT when you feel most ready, and then apply next cycle. I know its tempting to want to get your application in, but it simply is not wise that late in the game.

Both dates are going to put your scores out mid/late August, and that is VERY late in the cycle regardless. With your stats, I would highly recommend taking the MCAT when you feel most ready, and then apply next cycle. I know its tempting to want to get your application in, but it simply is not wise that late in the game.

Being complete in mid-August is NOT considered VERY late in the cycle. I bet you that at some schools, less than 60% of the ultimate applicants are complete by mid-August. September is definitely getting into the late period, and October is considered very late, November don't even bother.

If the OP doesn't feel confident enough about the MCAT at this point that she is pushing it back 10 days, then what does it matter whether she goes complete in mid or late August? She needs to wait to take it until she feels ready, and even an August administration of the test (and being complete by mid-September) won't doom her app if she improves at least 3 points on it from how she would have done in July.

Members don't see this ad :)

Mid-August is not that late if everything else is in and ready to go...
OP just make sure you submit your primary early on and get it verified before you take your test. After you take the MCAT, start writing secondaries so that by the time your score is released, you are complete automatically. The only disadvantage here is that if you don't get the score you hope for, you may have wasted money applying. However, if you wait until mid-August to get your scores and start submitting primaries/secondaries, then you will be late.

I was complete mid-August and still got plenty of interviews throughout the cycle.

Mid-August is not that late if everything else is in and ready to go...
OP just make sure you submit your primary early on and get it verified before you take your test. After you take the MCAT, start writing secondaries so that by the time your score is released, you are complete automatically. The only disadvantage here is that if you don't get the score you hope for, you may have wasted money applying. However, if you wait until mid-August to get your scores and start submitting primaries/secondaries, then you will be late.

I was complete mid-August and still got plenty of interviews throughout the cycle.

If OP submits AMCAS on the first day with a few schools that she will be definitely applying to, gets primary verified by end of June and takes mid-July MCAT, then like you said, she can start pre-writing the secondaries using the prompts on here, perhaps tailoring the chosen secondaries to how they roughly felt they did on the MCAT perhaps. She could add some more schools right after she takes the MCAT so she could get the secondaries (it's only $33 to add it is a primary, and no need to fill out the secondary if she later decides against it). If money is an issue but time is not, OP can always just pre-write the secondary to every school for which she's considering applying, and then be able to submit some or all of them with payment as soon as she gets her MCAT score.

It depends, if you file is done by mid/late August, you are fine. If you START your file mid/late August, then yes- I would recommend applying next cycle.

I was complete in a wide window - late august through early october. Mostly september. I was offered 12 interviews and saw no difference in rate of interview based on when I applied, nor did I receive the interviews in even close to the order in which I applied. It depends a lot on the process of the individual adcom.

It's not optimal (you knew that), but it's not the end of the world either.

lol "VERY" late, is super caps for real? Guy needs to understand a little about medical school applications.

To the OP, if I we're you I would schedule for the earlier July MCAT and reschedule it 2 weeks out if you are not ready. Yeah it costs a few extra bucks but its worth it in my opinion. Now, if you don't do well on this one you've screwed the pooch this cycle so be careful.

...and no you are not late. In reality 90% of other applicants will not be complete anywhere. As above posters have said, you need to submit your primary much earlier and ensure your secondaries are ready to go or at least have time set aside to complete them quickly.

My money would be on the later date.

Good luck.

MED SCHOOL APP NOT SUBMITED TIL' AUGUST -- BETTER WAIT TILL NEXT YEAR :laugh:

im in a similar situation OP, i'm confused though.. if we already have one mcat score in our amcas but designate that we'll be taking a later one as well, won't we still get sent secondaries once our amcas is verified and can't we technically send the secondaries out before we get the score from the later mcat? It sounded like some posters were saying you won't even get secondaries until you get your score

If OP submits AMCAS on the first day with a few schools that she will be definitely applying to, gets primary verified by end of June and takes mid-July MCAT, then like you said, she can start pre-writing the secondaries using the prompts on here, perhaps tailoring the chosen secondaries to how they roughly felt they did on the MCAT perhaps. She could add some more schools right after she takes the MCAT so she could get the secondaries (it's only $33 to add it is a primary, and no need to fill out the secondary if she later decides against it). If money is an issue but time is not, OP can always just pre-write the secondary to every school for which she's considering applying, and then be able to submit some or all of them with payment as soon as she gets her MCAT score.

Good advice

lol "VERY" late, is super caps for real? Guy needs to understand a little about medical school applications.

I already went through the cycle and understand it pretty well, but thanks for the condescending remark. Good luck with your application this cycle.

Despite a lot of contrary feedback to my comment, my advice was given because OP appears to have fairly average scores (assuming a realistic increase in MCAT score). For a lot of people who have very good resumes, and top scores, then getting everything in by then will not have the same impact on their chances as someone with more average scores.

OP, I stand with my advice in that if you feel that your application (scores/resume) leans more towards the averages, then it is definitely something you should consider before investing a lot of time and money on this cycle. :luck:

Thanks for the advice everyone. I realize I have very average stats, but I'm hoping to do some major mcat studying to boost my score up and hopefully that will compensate. I have some good research background, so fingers crossed for the best.

If you send your primary app in June, it will be verified sometime in July. You will get your mcat score mid August. Work on 2ndaries while waiting for mcat and submit them before September. 90% of the applicants don't have their secondaries submitted before August so you will still be early.