reschedule mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Joe the Plumber

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently signed up for the April 28 test. I'm on track for ~275 hrs of prep, which was my goal. Now I think I should reschedule for May 31 to have more time (dedicated time, not during the semester). Is this too late? The problem is that the EK1001 set I ordered was never sent, and I went through this long B.S. process with eBay. I got a full refund, but during all that time, I wasn't able to do the volume of practice problems like I wanted. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Have you taken any aamc's yet?

No, my Kaplan diagnostic was 24 and two weeks after that I took the EK test and got a 23. :( Anyway now I feel like I'm getting a better grasp of the material.

1. I can a practice test next weekend and then go from there

2. Or, regardless of where I'm at now, wouldn't it still be better to have that extra time after school ends? I'm done May 11 and the test would be on May 31. Like 18 days of free days.

Members don't see this ad :)
No, my Kaplan diagnostic was 24 and two weeks after that I took the EK test and got a 23. :( Anyway now I feel like I'm getting a better grasp of the material.

2. Or, regardless of where I'm at now, wouldn't it still be better to have that extra time after school ends? I'm done May 11 and the test would be on May 31. Like 18 days of free days.
I say take one of aamc's FL's and see where you stand. If it's way below what you're going for then yea, resched. But you never know, you did say you finished your content review. Be sure before spending $70 lol

I'd say take an AAMC before canceling.

I'd say take an AAMC before canceling.

Thanks guys. I wanted to do that, but I had to take into account that seats are scarce. For the May 31 date, there were spots left in only one city in my state (I'll have a 2.5 hr drive for the test). The next date would have been in late June which I think would be a bit too late, at least for my taste. So I just pulled the trigger and ate the $70. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

-Joe

I know lot's of people say take the mcat only if you're ready, but i don't believe anyone is truly ever ready... i could be wrong, just IMHO. And btw, remember that YOU are the only one who can really answer your own question. Yea, it's alright to ask for other people's opinion, but only you can say for sure what you should do because nobody else but you knows your capabilities and situation. Don't be fooled by nerves because I believe they will always be there for this test, however long you do prepare. Sit down and really evaluate your efforts, scores, study habits, etc before canceling.

Thanks guys. I wanted to do that, but I had to take into account that seats are scarce. For the May 31 date, there were spots left in only one city in my state (I'll have a 2.5 hr drive for the test). The next date would have been in late June which I think would be a bit too late, at least for my taste. So I just pulled the trigger and ate the $70. I'll let you know how it turns out. :)

-Joe
Lollll my reply was a little too late. Don't worry i pushed my exam 15days too, only because I wasn't satisfied at all with my first aamcs. Goodluck!

Seats do become very available when the date nears. usually 3 weeks before the exam. I think people decide to drop it then.

I was scheduled for 4/28 also. I didn't feel comfortable where I was at. I didn't take a practice AAMC. On the practice EK tests for biology and verbals I was doing okay - 10/11s. But when I would do general chemistry and physics, I was doing poorly. So I just moved to 5/19. I figured I would have my scores by mid to late June and could submit my primary the day my scores are released and still be an early applicant.

I was scheduled for 4/28 also. I didn't feel comfortable where I was at. I didn't take a practice AAMC. On the practice EK tests for biology and verbals I was doing okay - 10/11s. But when I would do general chemistry and physics, I was doing poorly. So I just moved to 5/19. I figured I would have my scores by mid to late June and could submit my primary the day my scores are released and still be an early applicant.

I'm taking the test on 4/28. I thought about postponing, but I'm a Texas resident and don't want my application submitted later than June. Also, you never know whether you'll do well on the first try - I hear stories people averaging 28s on their AAMCs and ending up with a 36, and I hear stories about people averaging 36s on their AAMCs and ending up with a 28. So you never know. I'm preparing for the worst. That way I can retake and still apply this cycle.

I'm currently signed up for the April 28 test. I'm on track for ~275 hrs of prep, which was my goal. Now I think I should reschedule for May 31 to have more time (dedicated time, not during the semester). Is this too late? The problem is that the EK1001 set I ordered was never sent, and I went through this long B.S. process with eBay. I got a full refund, but during all that time, I wasn't able to do the volume of practice problems like I wanted. What do you guys think?

aren't 275 hrs of prep too little? I've heard the average was 400-500 hrs. I know that many factors play into the formula, but unless your science background is solid, I think you need to increase the amount of studying by 50%.

aren't 275 hrs of prep too little? I've heard the average was 400-500 hrs. I know that many factors play into the formula, but unless your science background is solid, I think you need to increase the amount of studying by 50%.

Aiming for a certain number of study hours doesn't make a lot of sense to me. The goal is a certain level of subject mastery, not hours. As long as you feel ready a X hours, you are good to go.