Reschedule or just go for it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Futbol99

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
First off, I apologize for 1. the length - if you stick through it, you would be my hero (really). 2. my frequent posting regarding this topic. There aren't too many people I know personally who can give me a non-biased answer. 3. I also apologize for the repeated thread.

Today is the last day to decide...
- I first had in mind to take the MCAT Jan 25. After starting from October with a TPR course that was supposed to finish Jan 15, I felt rushed because half of the content was new to me or did it a couple years ago so it was forgotten. After spending much time on content with attempted practice - My aamc 3 and 4 scores were so low (low 20's) to be confident they would go up in 2 weeks, so I rescheduled early Jan to April 24.

-I thought that would be enough time, but things didn't go as planned. First, I spent a lot of time searching "what and how" I should be doing - for a long time. Partially I am to blame for at least a month of boredom, unmotivated, and depression and lack of confidence. I was studying, but felt passive - and not as much practice like I promised myself (I started working out as I needed something new in my life and did lose a lot of weight in that month). I thought I'm still good for time as of late Feb I started going HARD. Realized however there was a lot of holes in my knowledge, more weaknesses than I thought and spent longer than I intended on a lot of topics. There were also quite a few family emergency days filled in. Fast-forward time now it's already March 25. I learned a lot while I was studying - don't get me wrong. There is now more that I know vs. not know, but my confidence is still shaky on a lot of materials. I feel like the plan Im trying to fulfill is much more than I can fit per day. (Trying to fit in mixed practice passages from each topic, a verbal test, and then review those for 1 week, then starting AAMC's 5 - 11).
I'm afraid I still feel like I haven't done what I promised, and from the looks it, many people who score the 30+ have done much much practice. I feel like I'm at another fork on the road. I really want to finish this MCAT before it changes this year, and the only score I need is a 32! I personally feel it's tough to get if I write for April 24. I could be wrong though. I still have not written the mcat yet at all, so I don't know if writing it first (rushed) april 24 is more beneficial for my re-write, or to just make sure Im going in ready with a lot of practice under my belt and had the time to review, and understand everything! If I decide to reschedule it would be May 17, I think that puts me in a comfortable position, and I wont be wasting anytime in the process Im motivated and know the plan of execution so no time to waste. This would also put me in a good position to re-write in the same summer. I just hate the thought of extending my study period, and with the risk of spending the entire summer just doing that- but this is far more important than anything. I'd be blessed to finish this mcat. A 32 would (almost) guarantee my acceptance.

-I know it seems like I already am biased towards one option, but I need a non-biased answer. Should I write anyway (to get the feel and have already gone through it) or reschedule and spend the next 1.5 month honing my weaknesses by practicing and becoming more confident?

Thank you sooooo much. Much Respect.

Members don't see this ad.

When did you take AAMC 3 & 4 and what were the composites?
I took AAMC 3 January 2 and got 24. Then AAMC 4 Jan 6 and got 21. That's when I decided there's no hope - I was weak on a lot of content that appeared on those exams. I took the time go through most of my weaknesses from Feb-March with more practice passages in there, but also didn't have time to review some old stuff which makes me feel like I'm rusty and shaky, while the new things I took time to do still feel a little shaky as I need to do more practice passages around them and do more practice tests.
Basically - I thought Ill only be doing "Practice" from Jan - April which is why I slowed down in the beginning, but I realized I was weak on actually a lot of content that made me spend more than allotted time on. Many in biology, physics, and verbal. So Im not sure. I was planning to review aamc 4 again in a week, then do aamc 5 but I feel like I wouldn't make a huge improvement as I didnt practice as much as I hoped.

Will you please share with us the actual break down of each section (BS, VR, PS) for each test?

I really like to know about the VR particularly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Will you please share with us the actual break down of each section (BS, VR, PS) for each test?

I really like to know about the VR particularly!
Oh sure lol. I thought composite meant total score.
My verbal is pretty weak - Ive spent more time after rescheduling first time actually doing passages and taking time to review, as I had on and off days in the beginning. Major reason to my BS low score is content. I took time out, and want more time to practice. I dont know why PS is one of my better scores, that's the section that makes me more nervous.
For AAMC 3 - 10 7 7
For AAMC 4 - 9 5 6 (I was way too nervous and pessimistic- timing was an issue)

My goal is to get 9+ in VR as my goal is a total of 32, with no section lower than 8. As I said, Ive integrated more VR practice and see some improvements. I think the more time, VR gets better, not sure tho. What do you think?

Everyone has different opinion about how to tackle MCAT beast. To me, one needs 3 things:
1. Content understanding.
2. MCAT logistic insight.
3. Really in the study "zone".

I assume (3) is improving. With VR sitting at 5 to 7, say at 7 now and 4 weeks to game time shooting for 32, if I were you, I would definitely postpone to early July.

I don't know about other SDNers as everybody has his/her own background and strength, I, myself, usually use average 1 point improvement per month for VR in the range below 10. From 10 to 13, the time consumed for improvement showed large variation from person to person. After 13, hmmmm... have you heard a thing in our world called "luck" :) except the few 5 to 10 % hardcore born good literature god :)

For MCAT 32, if you can get VR to 9 in June, that leaves 23 points to fill in. With your BS sitting at say 7+ now, you have to get 12 (PS), 11(BS).
So........please at least to postpone to early July.

Put your mind in it with your back to the wall attitude and fully "engaged".

You can do it :) :)

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Everyone has different opinion about how to tackle MCAT beast. To me, one needs 3 things:
1. Content understanding.
2. MCAT logistic insight.
3. Really in the study "zone".

I assume (3) is improving. With VR sitting at 5 to 7, say at 7 now and 4 weeks to game time shooting for 32, if I were you, I would definitely postpone to early July.

I don't know about other SDNers as everybody has his/her own background and strength, I, myself, usually use average 1 point improvement per month for VR in the range below 10. From 10 to 13, the time consumed for improvement showed large variation from person to person. After 13, hmmmm... have you heard a thing in our world called "luck" :) except the few 5 to 10 % hardcore born good literature god :)

For MCAT 32, if you can get VR to 9 in June, that leaves 23 points to fill in. With your BS sitting at say 7+ now, you have to get 12 (PS), 11(BS).
So........please at least to postpone to early July.

Put your mind in it with your back to the wall attitude and fully "engaged".

You can do it :) :)

Good luck to you!
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your opinion and advice.
I think Im comfortable with the idea of rescheduling because I definitely needed to work on #3 "really study in the zone". I ve done a lot of content studying, but never got the time to take all that I've learned and put it into perspective and apply it effectively. I need to spend some time bringing it all in and practice using every source I can, and see how it goes. Interruption was a huge thing in the past, but now I am engaged.
Hopefully I went up at least 1 in verbal since January after all the studying. The ideal score would be a 12 9 11. If I can get that, Im done with this evil beast. Back to the drawing board it is.

I screw up the order of BS and PS when I asked you.

Not quite sure we are on the same page. when you responded :(
Either way, your BS or PS is sitting at 7+

I screw up the order of BS and PS when I asked you.

Not quite sure we are on the same page. when you responded :(
Either way, your BS or PS is sitting at 7+
Oh..lol. It's my BS sitting at 7+ back then...I hope it has improved recently/continue to improve. There was a lot I was uncomfortable with in the beginning - a lot of physiology, genetics, microbiology, immunology to say the least. Ive been aiming at my weakness since I rescheduled, but still could be better. Need more practice in it.

It takes different mindset and attitude to tackle the beast like MCAT comparing what all we had gone through from high school and then UG.

Inspire yourself and fire up is 50% of the battle. You surely can do that.

Best Luck to you :)

Reactions: 1 user
It takes different mindset and attitude to tackle the beast like MCAT comparing what all we had gone through from high school and then UG.

Inspire yourself and fire up is 50% of the battle. You surely can do that.

Best Luck to you :)
True, it is!
Thanks again man! I appreciate your help. Best of luck to you in your journey to med :)