Reschedule or Take Jun 5th?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GolfUSA

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been struggling with the possibility of delaying my exam until July 12th or taking it as scheduled on June 5th. I have done 3 AAMC full lengths so far, and I've gotten a 33, 31, and 34. I just feel like another month would fix a lot of the stupid mistakes I've been making.

I am applying this cycle and know that a later application is not ideal. Would it be worth delaying a month for 2-3 points higher on the MCAT (obviously speculation, but I believe it's definitely possible)? I will have my application ready to send to schools as soon as the scores come in, so it's either submit early July or early August.

Thanks for your input!

Members don't see this ad.

Mostly missing a detail in the passage, or changing my answer because I am not 100% confident in the subject material. I just took the AAMC self assessment over the last couple days and got 82% Physics, 93% Gen Chem, 95% Organic (I tutored it for the last 2 years), and 93% Biology (although not under strenuous time constraints because I was trying to gauge my knowledge). I have not done the Verbal passages yet. Obviously, I am focusing on Physics practice as much as possible. I got absolutely killed by the discrete problems, with only 60% correct.

I am really just torn on whether a higher score is worth the later application. I am about to take another AAMC full length after reviewing for a while so I'll probably gauge off that. Deadline is May 20th for reschedule.

why not compromise and take 2 weeks instead of the full month?

EDIT: Meaning take the June 21st exam

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, forgot to mention. There are no test dates in my area and I would have to go to another city about 4 hours away to do this. I don't really like the idea of doing it out my area just because it may throw off the routine. Thanks for the input! I am still considering this option.

And I just scored a 33 on the AAMC test. P 10 V 11 B 12. I am happy with the scores I am getting, but I really think I could bring up the physical sciences side of things a decent amount with more time!

Ah, forgot to mention. There are no test dates in my area and I would have to go to another city about 4 hours away to do this. I don't really like the idea of doing it out my area just because it may throw off the routine. Thanks for the input! I am still considering this option.

And I just scored a 33 on the AAMC test. P 10 V 11 B 12. I am happy with the scores I am getting, but I really think I could bring up the physical sciences side of things a decent amount with more time!

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. Were you planning on waiting until you had your scores to submit to AMCAS?
I'm almost in the same boat as you. Taking AAMC #4 tomorrow and probably deciding based on that.

What score are you aiming for? (other than a 45 of course :))

Ah gotcha, that makes sense. Were you planning on waiting until you had your scores to submit to AMCAS?
I'm almost in the same boat as you. Taking AAMC #4 tomorrow and probably deciding based on that.

What score are you aiming for? (other than a 45 of course :))

I was thinking of submitting the week after I took it, so it could be verified in the next 3 weeks and then get the scores in when they come back. I am aiming for a 36 or so because I'd like to apply to a few schools in the area which are very competitive or be a candidate for financial aid at the state school. My ideal (realistic score) is P12V12B14 which would be my best subsections from the AAMCs I have taken thus far. I am just not being consistent in Physical Sciences for some reason.

Let me know how it goes for you! I still haven't made my decision. :/ This is such a tough call...

I was thinking of submitting the week after I took it, so it could be verified in the next 3 weeks and then get the scores in when they come back. I am aiming for a 36 or so because I'd like to apply to a few schools in the area which are very competitive or be a candidate for financial aid at the state school. My ideal (realistic score) is P12V12B14 which would be my best subsections from the AAMCs I have taken thus far. I am just not being consistent in Physical Sciences for some reason.

Let me know how it goes for you! I still haven't made my decision. :/ This is such a tough call...

I'm 99.99% pushing. I stayed exactly the same (traded a point between verbal and bio) and I'm still under 30, so frustrated right now.

Did you make a decision?

Yes, I rescheduled for July 12th... I just figured that I could never forgive myself if I went ahead and took it without feeling like I have done my best to be prepared. In my opinion, the risk involved in taking it before being ready and regretting it is greater than than the risk of applying a month later and regretting it.

I just do not want to retake or have to reapply due to the costs, stress, ect. I plan to fill out the app and applying to a "throw away school" so I can get my app verified before the scores come back and then apply the day scores are in. Getting the app in by Early August really isn't that late in the cycle when it comes down to it, as long as it is verified and ready to go at that time.

What about you?

Yes, I rescheduled for July 12th... I just figured that I could never forgive myself if I went ahead and took it without feeling like I have done my best to be prepared. In my opinion, the risk involved in taking it before being ready and regretting it is greater than than the risk of applying a month later and regretting it.

I just do not want to retake or have to reapply due to the costs, stress, ect. I plan to fill out the app and applying to a "throw away school" so I can get my app verified before the scores come back and then apply the day scores are in. Getting the app in by Early August really isn't that late in the cycle when it comes down to it, as long as it is verified and ready to go at that time.

What about you?

Definitely pushing, think the time would be really worth it, aiming for June 21st now.
But I waited until the last day, so now I'm probably going to have to switch twice and wind up paying close to the full amount anyway :(