Rescheduling an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

majestic red

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I have an interview scheduled with Pritzker on 9/30 (Tuesday), but I just realized that all of my classes are going to be TTh classes this quarter. They're rather intense classes and, at my school, with 10 weeks/quarter, missing one class means missing a significant chunk of material. I also don't know any of the people in my classes, so I probably wouldn't be able to get the notes, etc. I know that interviews are more important, but if I reschedule the interview to a Monday, I wouldn't have to worry about missing any class at all. My invitation email didn't make any death threats about rescheduling, but does say: "Please notify us immediately if you should decide to reschedule or cancel your original date for any reason." Would it be worth it to try to reschedule? Would it reflect badly on me and hurt my application? I'm a UofC undergrad, if that makes any difference :/

Members don't see this ad.

They included a note about rescheduling, so I think it's safe to say that they're open to it. Just be professional and polite :)

How much detail should I go into about asking for the reschedule? Should I just be like "something came up..."? I don't want to make it seem like I'm disinterested in the school or that interviewing with them is a low priority. And of course, I'd keep the date I originally requested if no other one is available. How should I actually go about asking?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How much detail should I go into about asking for the reschedule? Should I just be like "something came up..."? I don't want to make it seem like I'm disinterested in the school or that interviewing with them is a low priority. And of course, I'd keep the date they set for me if no other one is available. How should I actually go about asking?

I think it'd be fine to request a rescheduling. I would tell them your specific reason for rescheduling (not list the specific course but mention that it is an important, intense class). I recall that UChicago has a notoriously difficult undergrad curriculum and I'm sure that the medical school is aware of that and respectful of your commitment to your classes there. Saying "something came up" sounds a little sketchy.

So I have an interview scheduled with Pritzker on 9/30 (Tuesday), but I just realized that all of my classes are going to be TTh classes this quarter. They're rather intense classes and, at my school, with 10 weeks/quarter, missing one class means missing a significant chunk of material. I also don't know any of the people in my classes, so I probably wouldn't be able to get the notes, etc. I know that interviews are more important, but if I reschedule the interview to a Monday, I wouldn't have to worry about missing any class at all. My invitation email didn't make any death threats about rescheduling, but does say: "Please notify us immediately if you should decide to reschedule or cancel your original date for any reason." Would it be worth it to try to reschedule? Would it reflect badly on me and hurt my application? I'm a UofC undergrad, if that makes any difference :/

Considering you're an undergrad there, I would think it wouldn't reflect badly on you or hurt your application. You could always ask the admissions people directly. Just tell them your concerns and ask them if rescheduling would hurt you. My guess is that it wouldn't, since they should be aware of the difficulty of the curriculum and since you're a student there they *know* whether or not you're BSing them. Actually, I don't see anything wrong with mentioning the specific class (assuming it's a class that has a time-intensive reputation). I wouldn't just be like "something came up", however. But again, if you're truly worried, you could always ask them directly.

Just to clarify, the interview date is one that I picked for myself from a list of 4-5 dates that they gave me. I hadn't finalized my course schedule yet at the time, so I didn't realize that this would happen. My main concern is that it would make me look irresponsible/flaky that I scheduled a certain date, and then decided to change it.

I rescheduled my Pritzker interview after I realized that I scheduled it too early in September. I just asked whether a later date was available, and I don't think that it looks flaky or anything... neuroticism... :)

If I were you, I wouldn't reschedule because of your class schedule. It's a medical school interview. Go. You should be able to make up the material from your classes. Unless you have a test, don't reschedule.

How does this sound?

Dear _____,
I just realized that I have conflict with the interview date for which I've been scheduled (9/30), and was wondering if I could reschedule for a later date? I've just recently finalized my course schedule for the coming fall quarter and realized that I will have a very challenging class on Tuesdays. I'd like not to fall behind in this class as much as possible. If it's still available, the 10/6 interview date would be ideal. If not, I'd like the first available Monday after 10/1. If a reschedule is impossible, I'll happily keep my currently scheduled date, as Pritzker is one of my top choices. I apologize for any inconvenience I've caused.
Sincerely,
majestic red

If I were you, I wouldn't reschedule because of your class schedule. It's a medical school interview. Go. You should be able to make up the material from your classes. Unless you have a test, don't reschedule.

I know it's important, but I feel a bit like an idiot going to an interview on a day that I have class when 3/5 days of the week, I won't have class. Especially since this is my alma mater, so it's not like I have the flights all booked or anything like that.

your email sounds fine. there is no need to stress yourself out and miss class when it's so simple to reschedule. why would the admissions people look down upon this? seriously... if anything it shows academic responsibility, haha.