Rescinding acceptance of offer (verbal vs. written)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clarkbar

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What is the appropriateness of rescinding acceptance of an offer of employment? How does this procedure differ in the case of verbally accepting the offer vs. accepting the offer in writing? Do HR offices black list potential employees that rescind acceptances, and under what situations? Thank you for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure managers have to deal with this all the time, especially retail chains and hopefully understand things come up. I felt sick to my stomach when I had to rescind an acceptance but I thought the most professional way of doing it was first a phone call, followed by a formal letter shortly after the phone call. Just keep things professional, short and concise and don't dwell/constantly apologize. For fun, I tried applying to the same company in a different district and was offered an interview so I'm not sure if blacklists actually exist...?

Well, rescinding an offer isn't that much different from quitting a job. Just give appropriate notice, and I also vote for in person/phone call, followed by a written letter as the most professional way to handle it. Keep your letter short and sweet.