Research Abroad in Switzerland?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Should I do research in Switzerland

• Yes

Votes: 2 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 1 33.3%

• Total voters

Dr. Biology

The Nerdiest Super Hero
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was talking to the professor I do genetics research for today, and we were talking about what research he plans on conducting next. It came up that he was talking to a lab in Switzerland who is studying the use of CRISPRs/CAS-9 system functions in certain aquatic organisms about collaborating with them. As of now there are only a few labs labs working on this, the lab in Switzerland and a lab in Japan, and possibly ours. For us to contribute it would take 2 weeks to a month in Switzerland contributing and learning how to use very specific equipment. He offered to let me join him. This would be tremendous for my career, and seems quite intriguing as well. The only problem is that we would either be missing the week before and the week of Christmas, The first two weeks of January, or 2 weeks early in the semester. What would you do in this situation? I know that if I went it would help me out in the long run, I just do not want to miss those few weeks with my family.

Members don't see this ad.

Doing research in Switzerland was a hilarious experience for me a while back. I don't know if the laws changed, but no one was allowed to work afterhours. You could be arrested (police actually patrolled!). We had to leave, and then sneak back in. It was very Metal Gear Solid, haha.

That being said, 2 weeks is not worth your time or effort. While Switzerland is a great place to experience, and one of the best places I've done research at, the experience is lessened by the meager 2 weeks, and the time is the worst. You're not going to enjoy the country during that time since you are there for training, and it'll be hard to get any actual work done (Switzerland works hard, but they rest hard too).

Your endgame is med school. Maybe an AdCom can weigh in, but they don't care about a specific piece of equipment, and most can't appreciate the expertise and dedication that goes into mastering it.

If your endgame is to learn it for the sake of research, then I'd still argue you can learn it on your own when your lab receives it. I've never worked with a company that will not send out a rep well-versed in the machine after purchase.

The reason we have to go there is to do the first part of the experiment with the other labs together, and to learn how to use the equipment, as the price of the equipment is the entire budget of our lab for the whole experiment, we have to either buy it $12,000, buy a crappy version $4000 or borrow it.

Members don't see this ad :)
dude why is this even a question. of course go there.

I am assuming you would be going to one of the ETHs in either Zurich or Lausanne (but likely Zurich). definitely go. if possible take a weekend to visit Bern+Geneva or Interlaken

So I was talking to the professor I do genetics research for today, and we were talking about what research he plans on conducting next. It came up that he was talking to a lab in Switzerland who is studying the use of CRISPRs/CAS-9 system functions in certain aquatic organisms about collaborating with them. As of now there are only a few labs labs working on this, the lab in Switzerland and a lab in Japan, and possibly ours. For us to contribute it would take 2 weeks to a month in Switzerland contributing and learning how to use very specific equipment. He offered to let me join him. This would be tremendous for my career, and seems quite intriguing as well. The only problem is that we would either be missing the week before and the week of Christmas, The first two weeks of January, or 2 weeks early in the semester. What would you do in this situation? I know that if I went it would help me out in the long run, I just do not want to miss those few weeks with my family.

Is he paying? If so, it's an awesome chance to travel.

I would have to get a grant or pay it myself

Get a grant, get your PI to pay, or don't go. Honestly, not worth your time if you have to pay your way. Your research is a job, and going to Switzerland for a few weeks, while fun, is unlikely to help your career in the long run.

Would he also be paying for your accommodation/would someone else be giving you housing while you are there? Switzerland is awfully expensive. Even a hamburger, fries, and a drink at McDonald's costs something like 12-13 CHF if I remember correctly (and CHFs are worth more than US dollars).

Would he also be paying for your accommodation/would someone else be giving you housing while you are there? Switzerland is awfully expensive. Even a hamburger, fries, and a drink at McDonald's costs something like 12-13 CHF if I remember correctly (and CHFs are worth more than US dollars).

Yep, a simple burger and fries meal cost about $20 US dollars when I was there earlier this year... Very very expensive country.

You eat at McDonald's?

You eat at McDonald's?

Lol only in Europe since it's fancier there. ;) (Also, it's interesting to see how the menu changes drastically from country to country.)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
If that Is how expensive mcdonalds is I would hate to see the equivalent of an American $50 rat den hotel

I don't recommend this. Like others said, 2-4 weeks is a very short time in the research world, and it's unlikely anything important will be credited to you during this time. Will you even do any research, i.e carry out experiments relevant to your project? It sounds like you're just going to learn how to use a machine, which is not really impressive in the big picture. You should tell your PI that you cannot afford the trip, but would very much like to learn and help with the equipment once he gets back.

Earning an undergrad grant for this is unlikely, I think. Unless you go to a school with money pouring out of its pockets, those grants tend to be competitive. You need to have a clearly defined goal, usually for a project over the summer or full semester. My school also offered small travel grants, but those only amounted to a few hundred bucks, just enough to get to a regional conference or something.

If you want to take a trip/vacation to Switzerland, sure, have fun. But the impact this will have on your med school candidacy is negligible, so look at this trip as something done for your own enjoyment.

If you can get funding, do it. It sounds like you plan on keeping on with this lab, and if you're just collecting data/getting training there's no reason you couldn't analyze and get a pub on this work when you get back stateside. As for missing holidays with your folks, I mean, that is sad, but holy hell Switzerland/Germany/Europe invented the holiday, and their NYE throwdowns are spectacular. I spent my winter holidays in Berlin when I studied abroad my junior year, and my family just had a second, smaller Christmas when I got back. Look at it less as a career booster as an opportunity to explore a new culture, make new connections and eat ALL the chocolate. Plus, secondary essay topics.

Yep, a simple burger and fries meal cost about $20 US dollars when I was there earlier this year... Very very expensive country.
I was ini switzerland last week. Literally the most expensive country in Europe. Then again they've made their country extremely innovative