Research Abstract Award Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mtwop

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my dilemma: I'm a current 2nd author on an abstract presented by a resident (1st author). Anyway, the abstract won "best clinical investigation presentation" at the resident research conference (ie. I wasn't allowed to go b/c it was for residents). Obviously it would be great to list this on my CV, but the last thing I want is to be untruthful about the award. Thoughts on if/how I could list it?

Members don't see this ad.

So here's my dilemma: I'm a current 2nd author on an abstract presented by a resident (1st author). Anyway, the abstract won "best clinical investigation presentation" at the resident research conference (ie. I wasn't allowed to go b/c it was for residents). Obviously it would be great to list this on my CV, but the last thing I want is to be untruthful about the award. Thoughts on if/how I could list it?

I think you'd be more than okay in listing it as a distinction associated with your abstract if you keep it under a "Publications" section and not a "Personal Awards/Honors" section. For example, I was an author on an abstract which was presented as a poster and won a "Featured Poster" award. I listed the fact that my "publication" won this award, but made it clear that I didn't attend this conference. I think you should definitely include it in your CV but just be clear that you didn't personally present that work. Congrats.

mtwop,

Did you look into this thoroughly? I am presenting an abstract at a "resident research competition". The person who accepted my lab's abstract was aware that I am a medical student with an undergraduate degree. They also told me anyone can present, it is just more common that residents will present for the award, but it includes: medical students, residents, research fellowships, etc.

But as justforkicks4 mentioned, you should definitely list it just do not claim the award for yourself. I am wondering if the resident got to present it because he was 1st author and wanted the opportunity as opposed to letting you give it a go. The secondary author on my paper is a long time M.D. who actually told me he would let me present since it would do more good for me than it would for him.

Members don't see this ad :)
mtwop,

Did you look into this thoroughly? I am presenting an abstract at a "resident research competition". The person who accepted my lab's abstract was aware that I am a medical student with an undergraduate degree. They also told me anyone can present, it is just more common that residents will present for the award, but it includes: medical students, residents, research fellowships, etc.

But as justforkicks4 mentioned, you should definitely list it just do not claim the award for yourself. I am wondering if the resident got to present it because he was 1st author and wanted the opportunity as opposed to letting you give it a go. The secondary author on my paper is a long time M.D. who actually told me he would let me present since it would do more good for me than it would for him.

Thanks for the good input guys. The presentation applications specifically states that the abstract must be submitted by a resident (specifically a resident in X-specialty), so I think I'm out of luck with this one. Would one of you mind giving a brief example on how I might list it? I'm a complete rookie when it comes to the process, so it would be really helpful. Thanks again!

if your name is on it you can list it as a publication. doesnt have to be presented by you. you can even say "presented at XXXXX conference by XXX winning XXX award".

however it almost sounds like the award is for the presentation itself... although that sounds like a weird consolation prize at that level