All Branch Topic (ABT) Research and Copyright Transfer

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eagle03

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are HPSP students considered "US federal employees," and if so, then as HPSP students we shouldn't sign copyright transfer statements on submitted/accepted research manuscripts, correct? I am assuming that I've been a US federal employee because of my LES statements even though I'm technically IRR most of the time till those ADT tours kicked in.

I know active duty/VA docs don't sign the copyright transfer in regards to their research and that their work lies within the public domain and not subject the Copyright act.

Members don't see this ad.

Do whatever the principal investigator wants you to do. You're probably a guest researcher in their lab, you did enough work to earn yourself co-authorship on the paper . . . don't compromise that by being the annoying kid who refuses to sign a simple copyright statement, as per his uber "military status". If you play that card, they'll drop you from authorship faster than you can blink.

Are HPSP students considered "US federal employees," and if so, then as HPSP students we shouldn't sign copyright transfer statements on submitted/accepted research manuscripts, correct? I am assuming that I've been a US federal employee because of my LES statements even though I'm technically IRR most of the time till those ADT tours kicked in.

I know active duty/VA docs don't sign the copyright transfer in regards to their research and that their work lies within the public domain and not subject the Copyright act.

No. Sign the form.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are HPSP students considered "US federal employees," .

The actual answer to this is Yes and No. While you are on ADT you are an employee of the government. The other 10 1/2 months you are simply a student who receives a scholarship benefit in the form of a stipend. Stipend is not considered to be pay.

Next comes the argument thet "I have taxes taken out so it's pay". No, you pay Federal tax, and sometimes State tex, but you do not pay Social Security Witholding thus making stipend a taxable scholarship benefit.

Great clarification, everybody! Thanks!