Research as an MD and not MD/Phd

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArtMot425

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What kind of doctor do you have to be to do research on immunocompetent yeast infections in the gi tract. Would I have to be a gastroenterologist, pathologist, or allergist/immunologist. Would internal medicine do? If some could please help me out.

Members don't see this ad.

Go to pubmed.gov, look up papers on immunocompetent yeast infections in the GI tract, look up the last authors on the publications you'd be interested in via google, and see what they specialized in.

I cant find their specialties. Maybe if you could help some more.

Members don't see this ad :)
Probably ID or GI. This is an incredibly narrow topic, however. There's a big wide world out there. Also, you'd be better off choosing a medical specialty based on the patients you want to take care of. That's a lot of years of education, sweat, and tears for..."immunocompetent yeast infections in the GI tract"

I meant immunocompetent patients with this infection. I have always wanted to help others who have candida overgrowth. It would be my dream to be able to help those people.

I cant find their specialties. Maybe if you could help some more.

IIRC research papers say what department the researchers are in in addition to the institutions they're affiliated with. There's usually a little symbol next to their name on their papers and then elsewhere next to the same symbol there'll be "_________ University, Department of ________".

Usually from there you can tell a little of what their specialty is but it's not always a sure bet. Googling their names works best.

What kind of doctor do you have to be to do research on immunocompetent yeast infections in the gi tract. Would I have to be a gastroenterologist, pathologist, or allergist/immunologist. Would internal medicine do? If some could please help me out.

Wow, that is really specific. If research is your goal, PhD is the route to follow. If taking care of patients is your goal, MD is the way to go. If you want to split your time or take basic science bench work and translate it to the clinical side, MD/PhD could be the ticket.

Anyway, you could approach it from ID or GI or Path. IM would be more of a stretch -- harder to be the PI -- but probably doable. The biggest trick is going to be finding good mentors along the way to develop a research CV that can get you landed in academic medicine and funded.

So tell me, how does someone get so strongly interested in a topic like candidal overgrowth that you would choose your career around it?

You must admit that it's odd enough to warrant an explanation.

I want to help people who may have this condition. I may have it since I know it can cause stress and inability to sleep. A burning sensation in the the eyes and head. If have suffered through this, I know that there are several others who have. I dont know where you live Shifty B but I know that in Arizona, a few people that I heard from have cold and flu symptoms that do not go away. They also say that they cough up flem and have diarrhea. My intentions is to put light to this condition so that others can feel better. Consider it as if it were something to be discovered in the MD field. The naturapathic doctors take notice of this but the MDs dont. I want to let others know about this and have doctors take good notice. I want to pioneer into what people dont know.

I want to help people who may have this condition. I may have it since I know it can cause stress and inability to sleep. A burning sensation in the the eyes and head. If have suffered through this, I know that there are several others who have. I dont know where you live Shifty B but I know that in Arizona, a few people that I heard from have cold and flu symptoms that do not go away. They also say that they cough up flem and have diarrhea. My intentions is to put light to this condition so that others can feel better. Consider it as if it were something to be discovered in the MD field. The naturapathic doctors take notice of this but the MDs dont. I want to let others know about this and have doctors take good notice. I want to pioneer into what people dont know.
I am also thinking of entering medicine to do medical science while getting paid much more.
I have a skin condition which I would like to find new treatments for.