Research Assistant, waste of time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rmack1219

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a research assistant for an epidemiologist at a medical college. I have been here since November and have worked on three studies thus far. A breast density study, hpv provider intervention, and a breast health study. I have also used my resources to obtain a part time externship at the mental health center on campus of which I worked on a substance abuse initiative mini grant. I just wanted to know if the experience I have obtained as a research assistant will be considered a waste of time when it comes time to applying to Ph.D clinical psychology programs in the Fall. I applied for Research Assistant positions in psychology but never got the job. I needed a job in research that paid and where I could also gain experience. Is the time and effort that I am spending worth it? Or am I wasting my time because it's not in Psychology? I plan on doing more research with the part time externship as well, and I have just finished my training to be a crisis counselor. I know research experience is very important, any replies would be helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it's a waste, no, but what are of clinical psych are you interested in working in?

I am a research assistant for an epidemiologist at a medical college. I have been here since November and have worked on three studies thus far. A breast density study, hpv provider intervention, and a breast health study. I have also used my resources to obtain a part time externship at the mental health center on campus of which I worked on a substance abuse initiative mini grant. I just wanted to know if the experience I have obtained as a research assistant will be considered a waste of time when it comes time to applying to Ph.D clinical psychology programs in the Fall. I applied for Research Assistant positions in psychology but never got the job. I needed a job in research that paid and where I could also gain experience. Is the time and effort that I am spending worth it? Or am I wasting my time because it's not in Psychology? I plan on doing more research with the part time externship as well, and I have just finished my training to be a crisis counselor. I know research experience is very important, any replies would be helpful.

It's not a waste. It will be crucial in your gaining an acceptance. Try to develop an fluent understanding of the research such that you can know what you are talking about when you are asked. And try to get your name on a publication:D

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not a waste. It will be crucial in your gaining an acceptance. Try to develop an fluent understanding of the research such that you can know what you are talking about when you are asked. And try to get your name on a publication:D

Great, thank you.

Not a waste. I had a research assistant position after undergrad in the medical field that was only marginally related to my personal research interests. I knew it wasn't ideal, so I also found a side-job more relevant to my interests and continued to collaborate with my undergrad lab. I actually think my full time job helped me get into grad school even though it wasn't very related - it is still research experience and you just need to stress what you have learned (and hopefully get a pub or 2). I got into 4 clinical psych phd programs, and my GREs weren't stellar. So don't worry!

Reactions: 1 user