Research at Med School as Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoctor1995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!

Im in a dilemma. I got offered a position as a undergraduate researcher at my school's medical school for this fall semester. I also got offered a position as a research for my school's Immunology Institute of Research. I don't know which one to take up this semester. I feel like the medical school one looks really good, but also the mentor that I would be working with for the school's Immunology Institute is a CEO of a biotherapeutics company which I think that I may get an internship or a job at his company after I graduate if I don't get into medical school or a job during the summers. Also, both research programs are in Immunology so I am very much interested in both. Please help!

Members don't see this ad.

Would recommend the Immunology Institute option, all other things being equal (e.g. interest in the projects), simply in case you get an in for a job as you say. Could be helpful for a gap year/career outside medicine/etc.

Plenty of undergrads at colleges with associated medical schools do research with doctors; it is no better or worse than working with basic science PhDs.

Personally, I worked two summers researching at a med school near my hometown. My work there was different than my school year basic science research, but was it more impressive simply because it was at a med school? Nope.