Research at Outside Hospital

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

am9451

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Current M3 considering the merits of pursuing a research year at another hospital to A) beef up my resume for residency and B) to make contacts at where I would hope to do residency. I know it would be much easier to find research at my own med school, but I would like to be near my family during this year off.

As someone who does not have a ton of research experience, I wanted to ask if others have successfully found research opportunities in departments at academic hospitals OTHER than their home institution. Do you just cold email attendings? Do you go through a research department? Do you have attendings from your medical school contact people they know?

Also, would I be responsible for finding my own funding? And if I were unsuccessful in doing so, would it reflect poorly on me to have done a year of unfunded research?

Thanks as always for the advice!

Members don't see this ad.

Done it twice via cold emails, and now for a year via a an introduction. Whether you're funded or not won't matter, but if you have a doris duke or hhmi (competitive stipends) then that is always a plus.

Just remember that a year is a hell of a long time in clinical medicine. Regardless of what anyone will tell you about the slow pace of research, it's more than enough time to have something to show for your year. (Read: Don't do a project where you're breeding chimeric mice or something absurd like that which will almost guarantee you won't finish a project on time)