Research during gap year without publication.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on taking a leave of absence between my 3rd and 4th year of med school to pursue an opportunity in research. I was thinking this morning, I'll finish my cores in October, and can do research from October to September 15th of next year, all while I'm doing my 4th year electives. However, I realized that there's no way I can get a research project done and published within a years time.

Does this seem as if it would be a waste of time? As in, would my chances of matching into a competitive program be the same, if I didn't have a publication & I didn't even do any type of research. I don't want to do a project that requires less time, just to get a publication out of it. Doing research is something I want to do down the road after becoming a full fledged physician. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Most people find time to dabble in multiple projects. There's no reason why you couldn't at least pop out a review article or something while working on a lengthier project.