Research enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
N

NP545

I'm not really too interested in research but was offered a position in a lab over the summer. It requires 35 hrs/week. Should I accept it and get it over with during this summer (300 hours total), or volunteer at a hospital and shadow instead?
Would it be possible to get into med schools without having research at all, and instead having good shadowing and hospital hours? I really am not interested in research and am only considering it for the med school "unwritten" requirement.

Members don't see this ad.

IMHO, do it. This is coming from someone who had 0 research hours and got into 4 places. Take that how you will.

Well, it definitely helps your app. Give it a shot, but only if you have at least a little interest in it. Otherwise, there are other ways to improve your app with that time (clinical research?).

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't want to do any type of research at all TBH. But I guess I'll just get it over with if I have to. Also, I will quit at the end of summer so the professor will not be thrilled with that and therefore, I will not be able to get a rec letter from him. And because it is volunteer research in the lab, I will not get published in one summer and also there will be no record. Should I still do it, and because it is not on record, will med schools doubt it?

I really don't want to do any type of research at all TBH. But I guess I'll just get it over with if I have to. Also, I will quit at the end of summer so the professor will not be thrilled with that and therefore, I will not be able to get a rec letter from him. And because it is volunteer research in the lab, I will not get published in one summer and also there will be no record. Should I still do it, and because it is not on record, will med schools doubt it?
If It is unpaid and you're going to quit, why not do something similar with a smaller time commitment over a longer period of time?

Do what you want to do...follow your passions and be great at it.

Have you done any research? How do you know whether you like it or not if you haven't done it.

If you don't want to do it, don't do it. Every year people get into medical school without research.

There are probably dozens of people who would kill for that job (even if unpaid) who like doing research and who need years of it to apply for graduate school. If you do it, you can still put it down on your AMCAS and you would put contact information for the PI.

Personally, I did several years of research and absolutely LOVE it. One of my doctors says if I do not get into medical school he wants to see me back in graduate school to get a PhD.