Research & ER scribe - need to quit one

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JimmyB123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I actually just created a thread on a different topic, so sorry about the immediate need to create a new one...but its application cycle and i gots questions to ask!

I'm applying right now and on a gap year. Since april, ive had two jobs: research assistant and ER scribe. Holding both jobs requires me to work 7 days a week and over the past 4 months, I've noticed that it has really been tiring me out. I thought I would be able to keep this up throughout my gap year, but I just can't. I cannot negotiate my schedule and will have to quit one job for the other.

Can people advise me on which to quit?

Members don't see this ad.

Give us some more details. How much clinical experience do you have without your Scribe job? How much research experience without the RA job?

I have about 35 hours volunteering at a children's hospital. About 5 months of research experience. So not that much of either, which is what makes this choice more difficult.

I really want to keep on doing both, but it is just getting tough. I know some people have the mental and physical stamina to do this, and I thought I would too, but I definitely now know my limits. I need my weekends for myself lol.

Which experience would be more valuable in the eyes of the adcoms? because I like both equally

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need more clinical experience; 35 hours is rather low and clinical experience is the most important EC.

5 months of research + however much you have from this job will be sufficient for convincing adcoms of your interest in research (unless you're aiming for top research focused schools).

Reactions: 1 user
Okay thank you. I was leaning that way.

Why did you take the gap year? Did you need more clinical exposure? Is the research simply out of interest? Are you trying to apply to a research-heavy medical school? If you need the former, get rid of the research. If you need the latter, get rid of the job. If you think you need both, drop the research. Research isn't required by a lot of medical schools.

EDIT: Just read how much hours you had. I would lean towards leaving the research. Or maybe can you talk to the research director and somehow get fewer hours? If there is a lot of people in your position then I believe the director will understand.

Why did you take the gap year? Did you need more clinical exposure? Is the research simply out of interest? Are you trying to apply to a research-heavy medical school? If you need the former, get rid of the research. If you need the latter, get rid of the job. If you think you need both, drop the research. Research isn't required by a lot of medical schools.

EDIT: Just read how much hours you had. I would lean towards leaving the research. Or maybe can you talk to the research director and somehow get fewer hours? If there is a lot of people in your position then I believe the director will understand.

I took a gap year because if I didn't, I would be applying with a 3.3/31 to med schools. I initially did it to raise the GPA (which I did to ~3.5), but then also ended up retaking the MCAT and scored a 35.

But anyways, I am not applying to research heavy schools. I don't have a LOR from my prior 5 months research experience and if I quit this RA position, I would not be able to get a LOR from them either. Do you think that will be okay? I will feel bad about quitting research because it is a high profile project but I would rather scribe. Just want to know which one will be viewed more highly.

As others have said, tailor your application to the schools you want to attend. If you want research heavy, stick with that. Otherwise, hang on to the scribe gig.

That said, you are applying for 2015, right? Well, get that application in ASAP. (What are you waiting for!?) Maybe you can hang onto both gigs for a couple more months, with reduced hours at one or the other or both. Wait until you get interviews and then drop one or both.

Required for med school apps: clinical experience.
Nice for med school apps: research experience.

Hmmm...

I took a gap year because if I didn't, I would be applying with a 3.3/31 to med schools. I initially did it to raise the GPA (which I did to ~3.5), but then also ended up retaking the MCAT and scored a 35.

But anyways, I am not applying to research heavy schools. I don't have a LOR from my prior 5 months research experience and if I quit this RA position, I would not be able to get a LOR from them either. Do you think that will be okay? I will feel bad about quitting research because it is a high profile project but I would rather scribe. Just want to know which one will be viewed more highly.
As mentioned above, clinical experience is almost universally more important than research, if you have to choose between the two. You are probably not getting more opinions because the answer has already been said.....

How did you raise your GPA? Did you take more classes after graduation or did you do a PostBac program? If the latter, then you will have 2 different GPAs and the undergrad cGPA remains at a 3.3

Also, try to get a LOR. It would seem fishy if you did research and left randomly with no LOR to back up that you didn't leave because you were incompetent.

Members don't see this ad :)
How did you raise your GPA? Did you take more classes after graduation or did you do a PostBac program? If the latter, then you will have 2 different GPAs and the undergrad cGPA remains at a 3.3

Well if I didn't take a gap year, I would have been applying straight after junior year of college. When I meant I raised my GPA, I just meant that I finished my senior year and having just graduated, I am now applying.

Also, I think postbacs do actually contribute to your undergrad GPA. I think it is masters and graduate programs that do not.

As mentioned above, clinical experience is almost universally more important than research, if you have to choose between the two. You are probably not getting more opinions because the answer has already been said.....

Okay thanks. Good luck on USMLE! :)

That's just not true.

Postbacc courses are incorporated into undergrad GPA. A separate postbacc GPA is also reported in order make some kind of distinction, but those grades factor into the cGPA/sGPA calculated by AMCAS. Only a formal graduate program (i.e. pursuing a masters or PhD) is a completely separate GPA.

Lol maybe I'll just keep both jobs, work 7 days/week, and just "tell myself" that I'll get weekends off if I get into medical school. I need a LOR from research anyways so might as well keep the job..

Lol maybe I'll just keep both jobs, work 7 days/week, and just "tell myself" that I'll get weekends off if I get into medical school. I need a LOR from research anyways so might as well keep the job..

I've worked 7 days a week for years at a stretch. Only in the last few weeks have I been off on weekends. It was really nice at first, but now I am getting a little bored. What does anyone do with so much free time? I just end up here!

Yeah, if you can find a way to keep it up for at least a few more weeks/months. Flake out after you land an acceptance, before you have to start school.

You're never truly "off." Even on the rotations that are 5 days/week, you have to study over the weekend. Then you have the rotations that are 6 days a week (or 7 if you do a Sunday and then a Saturday) and 10++ hour days.

Maybe it's a good thing to build up that stamina now? Unless it's simply too much, in which case it can be unhealthy. How many hours are you working/week?

I've worked 7 days a week for years at a stretch. Only in the last few weeks have I been off on weekends. It was really nice at first, but now I am getting a little bored. What does anyone do with so much free time? I just end up here!

Yeah, if you can find a way to keep it up for at least a few more weeks/months. Flake out after you land an acceptance, before you have to start school.

For years?! Do you remember it being difficult at first?

You're never truly "off." Even on the rotations that are 5 days/week, you have to study over the weekend. Then you have the rotations that are 6 days a week (or 7 if you do a Sunday and then a Saturday) and 10++ hour days.

Maybe it's a good thing to build up that stamina now? Unless it's simply too much, in which case it can be unhealthy. How many hours are you working/week?

Wow. This is why EM is so appealing to me. The hours/shifts aren't as bad.

Yeah, I definitely need to build the stamina. In undergrad, I'll admit that I wasn't used to working "all that hard." I could get away with waking up at 9 to 10 AM and beginning my day. On weekends, I could sleep in later. Now, I have to be up by 5:30...its quite the change for me.

I work between 65-70 hours a week. 1 hour commute each way though -.- Do you think the number of hours is excessive?

Last edited:
Postbacc courses are incorporated into undergrad GPA. A separate postbacc GPA is also reported in order make some kind of distinction, but those grades factor into the cGPA/sGPA calculated by AMCAS. Only a formal graduate program (i.e. pursuing a masters or PhD) is a completely separate GPA.
So are there two main GPAs? Undergraduate and overall calculated GPA? This of course included sGPA and cGPA

5 days/wk + studying sounds pretty good to me!

It's been said, and it's been said that it's been said, but definitely drop the research (but best option is to keep both). The TopTiers have a 10% around 3.6-.7, so it will be a tough sell despite the good MCAT.

Good luck and good job on the score and landing the position.