Research experience CV vs ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exeunt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that on ERAS there is a section where we can put projects that are in progress but not yet submitted, but I always thought that on your CV a project would have to be at least submitted to be listed. However, an attending told me the other day that I should list all ongoing projects on my CV as well, even if they aren't close to being submitted. Anyone know what would be more prudent? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you talking about a research experience, or a publication? Because you can list a research experience regardless of what stage it is in. Publications have distinct categories that must be followed (i.e. Peer-Reviewed Published, Other than published, etc.) and you would not list a manuscript that is being written up but has not yet been submitted to a journal for review.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you talking about a research experience, or a publication? Because you can list a research experience regardless of what stage it is in. Publications have distinct categories that must be followed (i.e. Peer-Reviewed Published, Other than published, etc.) and you would not list a manuscript that is being written up but has not yet been submitted to a journal for review.
well on my CV, i list papers that i have already submitted under my "publications" section even if they haven't been accepted yet, but i don't list any ongoing projects that haven't been submitted. under research experience, i've been listing long-term research positions rather than individual projects, but my attending told me i could list my ongoing projects under "publications" if i labeled them as "in progress," so i was wondering if that was actually the norm?

... but i don't list any ongoing projects that haven't been submitted.
This part of your question is still somewhat unclear to me. Do you mean a research project for which you haven't submitted a publication (i.e. poster, abstract, journal article, etc.)? Because unless you're talking about grant submission, I cannot think of any other way to 'submit' a project. If my first assumption is correct (either manuscripts are in-progress or do not yet exist) then my understanding is you list this as Research under the Experiences tab. There you would describe the project, and could say there is a manuscript in-progress.

... under research experience, i've been listing long-term research positions rather than individual projects, but my attending told me i could list my ongoing projects under "publications" if i labeled them as "in progress," so i was wondering if that was actually the norm?
Long-term research positions, if paid, should be listed as Work under the Experiences tab. There is no designation under the Publications tab for in-progress manuscripts, which is why they belong under the description of individual Research experiences. The grey area is when you have multiple, discrete projects within a paid position. Presumably you could list both, although people have suggested in the past that this may appear to be CV padding...

There are probably better and more thorough answers to your questions here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/eras-publications-listing-faq.751255/

thanks for your reply. my question is not about ERAS, but about my CV. i have several projects that have not yet been submitted that i currently do not have listed on my CV, but my attending said i should list them under my publications on my CV (not ERAS) and just label them as "in progress." i was just wondering if this was the standard or would be viewed as CV padding

There is no place for your CV in the residency application. PDs only receive your ERAS CV. If you need a separate CV for other purposes then yes you put them under the title of "current projects". You can still put them in your ERAS under "other accomplishments".

There is no place for your CV in the residency application. PDs only receive your ERAS CV. If you need a separate CV for other purposes then yes you put them under the title of "current projects". You can still put them in your ERAS under "other accomplishments".
I have question in concern of a poster a presented few months ago, the abstract have been published in the syllabus post the conference, is it considered publication if so where should I mention it ? Thank you

If you can link to it in a journal then yes otherwise mention it under other accomplishments.

If you can link to it in a journal then yes otherwise mention it under other accomplishments.
thx for your reply , its not linked to a specific journal but rather to a website and the conference syllabus, I already mentioned the poster in the publication section is repeating it in the accomplishment section could be viewed as an over sell?

thx for your reply , its not linked to a specific journal but rather to a website and the conference syllabus, I already mentioned the poster in the publication section is repeating it in the accomplishment section could be viewed as an over sell?
Yes, it is a research experience and/or a poster/presentation. It's not an accomplishment.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a reason why there is a an 'Experience -> Research' and a whole section on 'Research'? Does it go in both places? Thank you!

Question: I just found out a lab I worked with a few years ago submitted an abstract with my name on it to three different conferences and presented it at all of them. I just list it once on ERAS, right? I'm kind of embarrassed to put it down three times, who submits the same work to three conferences?

For year out research programs, is it typical to list the experience as "Research" or "Work"?