Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WestKelvin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Currently I have 7 months of research experience and I found that research is way too boring for me and time consuming so I quite the internship. I wonder will more research experience held me into getting into medical school and will more lab research experience needed. I do not have a pub or abstract, mostly I do is lab tech stuff like making solutions.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Well, what exactly did you do?

I mean research experience isn't making solutions.

I also did stuff like extracting plasmid running gel and western blotting stuff .

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did stuff like extracting plasmid running gel and western blotting stuff .

I'm under the impression that theres a law of limiting returns for research where all you do is labor; adding more months of making solutions isn't gonna make a difference.

Research where you contribute intellectually or are actively involved in running experiments- thats where more time will make a difference.

Some people aren't interested in conducting research, and that's fine. Although the research heavy schools like scholastic pursuit, they understand that not everyone has those interests. I am sure you will stand out in other ways.

Actually I am very interested in running research and see what it is like, but I feel that the PI is not giving me enough opportunity and that he is sing me as free labor. Each time I ask him he say later maybe which keeps my hopes up

Also what are research intense school are them the top 50 in the US news ranking?

Yes, I mean the US news ranking of research in medical school. I know my research experience is not enough for the top 10, but what about the top 20, 30 or even 50

Actually I am very interested in running research and see what it is like, but I feel that the PI is not giving me enough opportunity and that he is sing me as free labor. Each time I ask him he say later maybe which keeps my hopes up

Honestly, that's kind of what you are as a UG. You don't really know enough at this pt to be of any real value to the PI, so of course you're not going to be given many opportunities. Nevertheless, I'd suggest finding another lab where your interests are more congruent w/ the research being done and where you might be of more value with your current knowledge base. Don't be afraid to leave the science bldg to find something....

Yes, I mean the US news ranking of research in medical school. I know my research experience is not enough for the top 10, but what about the top 20, 30 or even 50

Start by comparing your stats to the top tier schools. Around here this is called the LizzyM score: gpa (10) + MCAT - 1. Compare to the average gpa times 10 plus average MCAT for each target school. If your LizzyM is greater than or equal to the average for a school, you have a relatively good shot at getting an interview at that school (taking into account schools that tend not to interview out of state applicants).

Sufficient or insufficient reserach won't matter (much) if you don't have the numbers. There are exceptions to every rule but if your application is light in research or community service or medical exposure then you need to be better than average academically to get a shot.

I would suggest putting your concern for top 20 research institutions on the back-burner and instead focusing on writing proper English. If you speak anything like you write, then you won't pass the interviews. Or secondaries, for that matter.

Thanks for the advise! I have 2 years of community service which is around 500 hours but I only volunteered for one organisation and not numerous other organisations. I also have medical experience which is pretty much normal like hospital volunteering, shadowing. The only difference experience with other applicants I think is I worked 2 summers in a Hong Kong pharmacy and 1 quarter interned in the Speech Pathology depart. My other ECs like leadership, club activities is totally fine. I am Biochem / Econ major with Tech management minor. My academics are cGPA 3.83, sGPA 3.76 and MCAT of 35 of I will call that slightly above average maybe. I wonder can the stats above help me get into a top 10 or top 20 research school even I don't have the research experience?

Thanks

Thanks for the advise! I have 2 years of community service which is around 500 hours but I only volunteered for one organisation and not numerous other organisations. I also have medical experience which is pretty much normal like hospital volunteering, shadowing. The only difference experience with other applicants I think is I worked 2 summers in a Hong Kong pharmacy and 1 quarter interned in the Speech Pathology depart. My other ECs like leadership, club activities is totally fine. I am Biochem / Econ major with Tech management minor. My academics are cGPA 3.83, sGPA 3.76 and MCAT of 35 of I will call that slightly above average maybe. I wonder can the stats above help me get into a top 10 or top 20 research school even I don't have the research experience?

Thanks

The top 10-20 research schools are looking for people with stats like yours AND research. With 10-20 applicants for every seat, why should they give you an interview over somoneone with a 3.8/35 and a year or two of research?

Yeah... Thats what I kind of felt like, too bad I guess, because UCLA and UCSD are my target schools which is on the top 20 in research. Thanks anyway for the advise really appreciated it!

The other research experience that you reported on an earlier post might fulfill top school expectations if you acted as more than a lab tech:
These are my extracurricular activities: . . .

Research Experience:
Animal Science Research on annoying birds/Chicken -- Sage Grouse half a year
Animal Science Research for Graduate Student 1 quarter
Genetics Lab on PHMNT protein and DNA methylation on cancer 2 years

Most undergrads don't realize that research doesn't have to be painful.

One friend of mine got a scholarship to go to south of France for the summer to do a self-designed research project (humanities, and marginally medical, def not lab related). This friend speaks French of course -- go the work done, listed the research in AMCAS... and... got a vacation out of this.

Friend also came back from France looking smoking hot!
It must be something in the water over there :thumbup:

Well the animal research experience is just watching animals walking around and recording their mating calls, which is not really research, for the genetic lab I am not as dedicated because my class schedule is too intense although I was there for 2 years I got nothing done pretty much. So I don't think those experience helped

Haha coup de chance I hope I can have that kind of experience too but it is my senior year and I don't really have the time to go to a foreign country lol. If I have the opportunity I will of course go to France! But thanks very much for the advise