Research Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Chunkle

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been during research for a couple of months now, mainly learning the techniques first.

I was wondering how one would go about with starting their own research, such as writing an abstract, presentations, publications.

Should I just ask the professor about it?

So far, I'm only helping him with his research.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been during research for a couple of months now, mainly learning the techniques first.

I was wondering how one would go about with starting their own research, such as writing an abstract, presentations, publications.

Yes, ask. But generally you're working in their lab. You're there to do projects that pertain to the PIs objectives.

The PI provides the general direction for the lab and designs the experimental/conceptual piece of what he is investigating. The undergrads and graduate students carry out the PI's bidding, learning many techniques and about the nature of the research itself.

Fear not, if you continue to carry out the PI's bidding and make significant progress, you may find yourself as a Second/third/fourth author on a paper who knows.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, expect it to take time. You'll spend a while just learning basic techniques and performing them, and being proactive can help, but keep in mind that it's their lab. Having you do your own research costs them valuable resources, and you need to prove yourself first.

Also keep in mind you can have your own project too. I am in a lab where I picked my own topic/project to investigate from the start. It is related to his main objectives and he provides guidance when needed, but none the less I still have a degree of autonomy and am investigating something that I genuinely want to.

Ask him how you can get more involved, get your own independent project, and "publish the results" (Use this exact phrasing or you'll sound like a paper-hungry pre-med who'll disappear after getting published) if the project is successful.

Also ask if you can present posters of your work

Ask him how you can get more involved, get your own independent project, and "publish the results" (Use this exact phrasing or you'll sound like a paper-hungry pre-med who'll disappear after getting published) if the project is successful.

Also ask if you can present posters of your work

And if you know about the goings on in the lab, it would look really good if you had some ideas of your own. Maybe something that would help to supplement a project of one of the grad students or postdocs.

And if you know about the goings on in the lab, it would look really good if you had some ideas of your own. Maybe something that would help to supplement a project of one of the grad students or postdocs.

^^^ What he said.