Research, extracurriculars, clinical experience...gah!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dandine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
:confused:

First week of school has come to an end, and I'm getting anxious about how the semester might turn out, so I sat down and tried thinking about how to prioritize my non-class activities. I am currently working in a lab for 10 hours a week, making my total credit load 16. I'm expecting spring semester to be very similar. However, I'm not sure how to work in more clinical exposure into my schedule.

For fall and spring semesters, I volunteered at a cancer center 4 hours a week, but with my current schedule, I have no idea if I can fit this in this year unless it somehow allows me to volunteer on weekends (which doesn't seem unheard of). My shadowing experiences are very limited, so I would like to get much more. But I'm not sure how often physicians allow for shadowing outside of weekdays (maybe evenings???).

All else fails, I could spend the summer after doing some hardcore shadowing/volunteering, but don't want to completely neglect clinical experiences during the school term. Any suggestions on how to possibly work them in?

Also, I'm really worried about driving myself crazy with extracurriculars*** To put it quickly, how do I decide which ones to eliminate?

***Side note, for anyone interested: Last semester I was involved heavily in two organizations and very lightly (as in, once a week) with another. I dropped one this semester, but I want to get involved in another one that I have a huge interest in. With the time constraints I have, I probably will only spend a minimal time there (maybe bi-weekly).

Members don't see this ad.

I am in the same boat, except I am a freshman. So far I have just found a club that I can be enthusiastic about and am also volunteering at a hospital on the weekends.

Do you have a red cross club at your school? They organize and "manage" every blood drive and most public health displays at my university. I think they only meet once per week over here, but obviously more when in the midst of an event. That could be leadership+clinical.

:confused:

First week of school has come to an end, and I'm getting anxious about how the semester might turn out, so I sat down and tried thinking about how to prioritize my non-class activities. I am currently working in a lab for 10 hours a week, making my total credit load 16. I'm expecting spring semester to be very similar. However, I'm not sure how to work in more clinical exposure into my schedule.

For fall and spring semesters, I volunteered at a cancer center 4 hours a week, but with my current schedule, I have no idea if I can fit this in this year unless it somehow allows me to volunteer on weekends (which doesn't seem unheard of). My shadowing experiences are very limited, so I would like to get much more. But I'm not sure how often physicians allow for shadowing outside of weekdays (maybe evenings???).

All else fails, I could spend the summer after doing some hardcore shadowing/volunteering, but don't want to completely neglect clinical experiences during the school term. Any suggestions on how to possibly work them in?

Also, I'm really worried about driving myself crazy with extracurriculars*** To put it quickly, how do I decide which ones to eliminate?

***Side note, for anyone interested: Last semester I was involved heavily in two organizations and very lightly (as in, once a week) with another. I dropped one this semester, but I want to get involved in another one that I have a huge interest in. With the time constraints I have, I probably will only spend a minimal time there (maybe bi-weekly).

Are you a sophomore?

Regardless, you have plenty of time. Keep it slow and steady; there's no need to do so many things at once. This semester, focus on doing research and the EC you're interested in. During winter break, try to shadow a few doctors, but don't worry about it until then. If your EC eases up next semester, work in some weekend volunteering. Over the summer, do something else interesting or useful.

I understand that you want to shadow, volunteer, research, and do ECs, but you absolutely don't need to do all of those things every semester. Attempting that would be a good way to ruin your GPA or have a nervous breakdown. It's far better to do a few things well while maintaining As than to do many things poorly while getting Bs.

Preparing to apply to med school can be overwhelming, but just remember that you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Now unhinge that jaw! :)

Members don't see this ad :)

What ECs are you doing now? Focus on the ones you enjoy and that are most likely to look good on your applications. Don't overload yourself, it's much better to commit to two or three meaningful things than fill your app with 15 fluff activities.

I know it's hard, but try to remember the bigger picture. Your ECs are not just about checking boxes. When it comes time to interview, adcoms are going to want to know why you did X activity, what you learned doing it and how it helped shape your desire to become a doctor. If you do things that you don't really care about just to check boxes, you will have trouble tying a bunch of piecemeal activities into a bigger picture come application time. Do things you're drawn to and you will be able to spin a compelling story of where you've been, who you are now and where you're going. Good luck!

Are you a sophomore?

Regardless, you have plenty of time. Keep it slow and steady; there's no need to do so many things at once. This semester, focus on doing research and the EC you're interested in. During winter break, try to shadow a few doctors, but don't worry about it until then. If your EC eases up next semester, work in some weekend volunteering. Over the summer, do something else interesting or useful.

I understand that you want to shadow, volunteer, research, and do ECs, but you absolutely don't need to do all of those things every semester. Attempting that would be a good way to ruin your GPA or have a nervous breakdown. It's far better to do a few things well while maintaining As than to do many things poorly while getting Bs.

Preparing to apply to med school can be overwhelming, but just remember that you eat an elephant one bite at a time. Now unhinge that jaw! :)

Junior, actually. Freshman year involved myself going through a revolving door of activities, I officially settled myself in a few things sophomore year, but even then I felt like balancing everything was tricking.

What ECs are you doing now? Focus on the ones you enjoy and that are most likely to look good on your applications. Don't overload yourself, it's much better to commit to two or three meaningful things than fill your app with 15 fluff activities.

I know it's hard, but try to remember the bigger picture. Your ECs are not just about checking boxes. When it comes time to interview, adcoms are going to want to know why you did X activity, what you learned doing it and how it helped shape your desire to become a doctor. If you do things that you don't really care about just to check boxes, you will have trouble tying a bunch of piecemeal activities into a bigger picture come application time. Do things you're drawn to and you will be able to spin a compelling story of where you've been, who you are now and where you're going. Good luck!

Thanks! And yes, I completely agree with you when it comes to interviews.

EDIT: question answered; thanks for feedback!

Last edited: