research focus ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

utcrew

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm applying this summer/fall to MSTP programs and have a question about the area of research I should focus on. I'm extremely interested in signal transduction in cardiac cell differentiation. I'm especially interested in the role certain transcription factors play in the process. I've been looking for P.I's that are doing research in this area and have found that there are quite a bit. So, when I answer the question "why do you want to go to X medical school ?", should I say well "Dr. Y and Z is doing this sort of research and I would like to work in one of their labs, or should I say "I want to research the general area of cell differentiation and your school has many good researchers in this area". On one hand, being precise shows that you have researched the area and have developed an interest. But, on the other hand the ad comm may believe I have tunnel vision and only see one thing. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

just answer honestly. if you *are* actually interested in possibly working in ABC's lab, don't be scared of saying so.

Newquagmire said:
just answer honestly. if you *are* actually interested in possibly working in ABC's lab, don't be scared of saying so.

Agreed with Newquagmire about honesty.

I think when you're talking about why you would want to be at school X in regards to faculty, it's best to stay general, as in "school X has a lot of strength in this research area that I am interested in" and "even if my interests change there is a lot here that would keep me satisfied" etc. etc. It's always helpful to throw in examples of who those people are, but you don't need to focus on them.
The advice I was given this last cycle was you should never choose a program based on one or two faculty. On the same token, school X would want to know that if the few faculty you're interested in suddenly packed up and left, school X would still be a good place for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
utcrew said:
I'm extremely interested in signal transduction in cardiac cell differentiation.

I can give you some shameless plugs for people who are doing that at Penn. I agree with the other posters. If there's at least two people you can name at a school that you really want to work with--tell them!

Neuronix said:
I can give you some shameless plugs for people who are doing that at Penn. I agree with the other posters. If there's at least two people you can name at a school that you really want to work with--tell them!

I would love any advice you have. I believe Tom Kadesch, Michael Parmacek, and Judy Meinkoth work with transcriptional regulation in cell differentiation. Do you know any others at Penn? Also, I know Penn is a great place to do research. How are their facilities compared to other top places that you've been to?

Jon Epstein works on exactly that, is an MD/PhD, and loves MD/PhD students. You may also like the work of Peter F. Davies (we actually have another Peter Davies who does materials engineering). Penn's facilities are awesome, definately among the top notch. Our medical school is #2 in NIH funding for a reason :)

Edit: Try this link: http://www.uphs.upenn.edu/mcrc/ -- The Molecular Cardiology Research Center at Penn

Further Edit: Alright, we're #3 in NIH funding in 2003.

Neuronix said:
Our medical school is #2 in NIH funding for a reason :)

I guess close counts. According to the NIH Awards to Medical Schools for Fiscal Year 2003, the rankings are:

Hopkins $414,225,650
Washington U $368,355,293
Penn $359,944,311
UCSF $350,890,184
Duke $305,405,308
U Washington $290,097,322
UCLA $264,873,857
Yale $261,706,751
Pitt $258,276,361
Baylor $246,410,097

For the complete list of med schools receiving NIH funding, go to http://grants1.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medtt103.htm

Where is Harvard? Well, they're 27th. This is because the awards to HMS-affiliated institutions such as Dana Farber, Brigham, etc. are not listed. If these were thrown in the rankings would shift.

Maebea said:
I guess close counts.

You're right, we were second in 2002. http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl02.htm

However, we are now third in 2003. Congrats to WashU. BTW, your link is broken, try this one: http://grants2.nih.gov/grants/award/rank/medttl03.htm

For those who don't know, the USNews funding statistics include affiliated institutions. For Penn I believe that just includes CHOP and Wistar, but for Harvard that includes a bunch of big name places that puts them up over $1Billion.

Maebea said:
Neuronix said:
Where is Harvard? Well, they're 27th. This is because the awards to HMS-affiliated institutions such as Dana Farber, Brigham, etc. are not listed. If these were thrown in the rankings would shift.

With their 17 something hospital affiliates, Harvard has DOUBLE the amount of NIH money that any other school gets. They increased it from 700 million to over 1 billion in the span of 2 years. 300 billion dollar increase in 2 years is more than what 90% of all med schools get in TOTAL.