Research for High School Students?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
C

Carissa

Does anyone know of any good reputable research programs offered to high school students?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know of any good reputable research programs offered to high school students?

I don't know of a lot for high school students. After you get into undergrad it is much easier to find spots.

Not exactly research, but UMass med offers a High School Health Careers Program for minorities and first-gen college students interested in medicine.

I think you have to be a resident of Massachusetts to do it.

Otherwise, to get involved in research as a high-schooler, you either need to be such a superstar that you can figure it out yourself or have parental connections. I don't really think there are that many research programs for HS students because 1) their science background is often not strong enough, 2) their exposure to a given field often isn't great enough to allow any significant work to get done in a summer, 3) probably a HS student would be too great a liability for a PI to get involved with.

This isn't to bash on HS'ers, but they are way early in their science education. Also, being under 18 involves increased liability around any animals, dangerous chemicals, or machinery. And honestly most hardcore research is boring much of the time and would probably scare HS'ers away from going into the sciences :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Translational Genomics Research Inst. (TGen) in phoenix does. It's pretty competitive for h.s. kids. Only 1 or 2 get in per summer and you also have to be a resident I believe. Its usually bench research up to their level.

There are two awards from the American Academy of Neurology (AAN) for high school students involved in neuroscience research. These aren't exactly programs to get you into research, but if you already have something else, it's probably worth applying to get some national credit for it.

http://www.aan.com/go/education/awards

mm it really depends where you live, but i where i am there were a few,
like for heart and stroke, cancer and diabetes to name some.

u gotta do some asking around especially some faculty and look into big organizations like universites or like cancer societies, etc, and see if they offer any reserach programs for high school students.

I am a high school student in NY and I do research at a medical college twice a week during the year and every day, five hours/day during the summer. I do research on breast cancer integrins because my school has a science research program, as do many in my area. We, as students, are responsible for finding mentors in topics of interest and conducting independent research. I found a mentor (well-published doctor and professor) by emailing members of the cell biology department about myself and my interest in research.

If any of you are from FL, there is the Young Scholars Program at FSU. You go to FSU for six weeks, take classes, and work in a lab. It's mainly aimed at rising seniors, but if you're a rising junior, you can still apply. I did this program 15+ years ago, and it was great. I'm still friends with a few of the people who were in the program with me, and I still have my YSP t-shirt. :)

The Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (in Seattle) has some research programs for high school students. Again, you would probably need to be local.

Also I did research in high school, but it was hard to find. I did it by cold calling 40+ people, and eventually someone was responsive to me and asked me to go in and talk with her.