Research ideas.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CCEMTP2DOC

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking to go into ortho after med school and am looking for some research ideas. I am definitely leaning toward the D.O. path. i have worked as a paramedic for 12 years and have developed a passion and respect for the osteopathic philosophy. I will be older,39-40, upon application. My grades will be good, and I am good test taker, so the MCAT should be ok.
How much will my experience help if my MCAT is lacking. GPA will be ~3.5
science and ~ 3.7 overall. I will become a doctor, but would appreciate any and all advice to better my application. Also, i will begain to shadow a DO this summer. Do any D.O. schools have a better reputation for ortho???
Thanks for any idesas or advice.

Members don't see this ad.

FUTR_DR said:
I am looking to go into ortho after med school and am looking for some research ideas. I am definitely leaning toward the D.O. path. i have worked as a paramedic for 12 years and have developed a passion and respect for the osteopathic philosophy. I will be older,39-40, upon application. My grades will be good, and I am good test taker, so the MCAT should be ok.
How much will my experience help if my MCAT is lacking. GPA will be ~3.5
science and ~ 3.7 overall. I will become a doctor, but would appreciate any and all advice to better my application. Also, i will begain to shadow a DO this summer. Do any D.O. schools have a better reputation for ortho???
Thanks for any idesas or advice.

you got it made, you have good grades and tons of experience. i don't think that you will have a problem getting in. From my experience i have found that DO schools don't look at research as much. Most DO schools pump out primary care docs so experience is more important. TUCOM-NV ( the school i will be going to in the fall) is new but a major ortho group gave a lot of money, when I interviewed this group was going to start a program or somthing there. I would email the dean or a student to get more information. good luck

You'll be fine. You have a great GPA and a track record of experience. Osteopathic schools also tend to be more receptive of nontraditional students - in other words, your age at the time should have little bearing (if that's one of the things you were worried about).

I looked at some of your prior posts, and you mentioned proximity to home would be ideal. I would suggest you try your best to get into MSUCOM in that case. It is very well-respected, has a great reputation in primary care (I believe it's ranked #14 in the nation, according US N&WR), and both allopathic and osteopathic students from MSU take the same classes together (with the exception of OMM). I doubt there is one particular school that would be the most notable for producing graduates entering orthopedic residencies, since most osteopathic schools tend to produce at least half or more primary care doctors. You should definitely look at the schools' match lists to see which one best fits your interest (that is, after you've been accepted).

About TUCOM-NV, Dr. Michael Crovetti, an orthopedic surgeon, will be moving his practice to our school. The admissions director mentioned the possibility of being able to see his minimally invasive procedures via closed-circuit tv. In any case, the school is going to attract a lot of attention this way, and other surgeons from around the country are expected to come train here for use of these techniques. This might be something you would want to look into further, and as drtongue said, it's best to get a hold of either the dean or a student from the '08 class for more information. I am not sure how comfortable you might be with attending a new school though, as this one is only a year old.

LVDoc said:
You'll be fine. You have a great GPA and a track record of experience. Osteopathic schools also tend to be more receptive of nontraditional students - in other words, your age at the time should have little bearing (if that's one of the things you were worried about).

I looked at some of your prior posts, and you mentioned proximity to home would be ideal. I would suggest you try your best to get into MSUCOM in that case. It is very well-respected, has a great reputation in primary care (I believe it's ranked #14 in the nation, according US N&WR), and both allopathic and osteopathic students from MSU take the same classes together (with the exception of OMM). I doubt there is one particular school that would be the most notable for producing graduates entering orthopedic residencies, since most osteopathic schools tend to produce at least half or more primary care doctors. You should definitely look at the schools' match lists to see which one best fits your interest (that is, after you've been accepted).

About TUCOM-NV, Dr. Michael Crovetti, an orthopedic surgeon, will be moving his practice to our school. The admissions director mentioned the possibility of being able to see his minimally invasive procedures via closed-circuit tv. In any case, the school is going to attract a lot of attention this way, and other surgeons from around the country are expected to come train here for use of these techniques. This might be something you would want to look into further, and as drtongue said, it's best to get a hold of either the dean or a student from the '08 class for more information. I am not sure how comfortable you might be with attending a new school though, as this one is only a year old.
I have looked at MSUCOM,and I am very impressed. MSUCOM is about an 1 1/2 hour drive. At first I was a little apprehensive about being as old as I am and still 1-2 years from applying, to quote Jimmy Valvano " don't give up, don't ever give up". My grades,as stated before, will be good. I have yet to take some pre-req's, but will get them done. I am hoping that my experience will be a big bonus for me. I have also decided that the osteopathic path is right for me. Any other advice wiill be greatly appreciated.